Awesome NASA pics

Is it just me, or is the guy on the right in this photo doing a left-handed Nazi salute?

He is left handed, I think like everyone else he was just waving.

In regards and in agreement with others, I wish we would focus on space and get new versions of the Shuttle up and running and stop looking to do a capsul crap like the Russians.

We need to be moving forward with space, not backwards.

In regards and in agreement with others, I wish we would focus on space and get new versions of the Shuttle up and running and stop looking to do a capsul crap like the Russians.

\

Amen.

Space exploration is cool, builds national pride, has quasi-scientific benefits, but it's too damned expensive. IMO.

Can't decide which should outrank which.

I don't think we function effectively as a nation when we are not doing great things. We tend to sabotage and tear one another down when we lose our superlatives.

I see space exploration as an essential item.

And I'm glad to see such a positive reaction to the pics.

Agreed, I would love to be able to see our planet from space, it would be truly amazing.

I do hope at some point it becomes commercially viable to go into space, I think it might be humbling to many people if they saw just how tiny and significant we are on our own, and that we are part of something much bigger.

The space program is an essential part of our society, and I feel if greater emphasis and enthuiasm were put into it, only good things could come from it, because as said before, it gives us something grand to aim for.

I understand what you guys are saying, but I question what % of people it effects to the point of being 'essential'.

I would take a wild guess and say 15%. Frankly, I think it's lost a LOT of it's luster over it's history.... and part of that is the shuttle itself, IMO.

Now, if it's all leading to some sort of return (colonization, resources, ??), there's a potential direct benefit.... but at this pace it'll take 1000 years to viably reach those goals.

I call it essential for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it is one of the very few things left that we are best at.

Today the space program is under-reported, under-funded, and under-promoted.

But put a few pics in front of people,and...

EDIT: the Mars missions will rekindle the fire for the public.

Edited by Camino LS6

I agree with Camino, Satty and Dodgefan. We need to be in space...not because we "need to be there" but as a matter of intellectual curiousity about the universe we live in.

Chris

Awesome pics. It's funny to think that the stuff we are doing in space now is the modern equivalent of paddling around off a shoreline in a canoe a few thousand years ago. The moon landing like "look, I reached this island that we could see from the shore!" I'm sure there were people then rolling their eyes at the wasted resources, as that guy in the canoe could've been hunting or gathering instead of wasting his time playing in the water. There's nothing important out there anyway...

Interesting pics, but I'll hold out until we see what new images Hubble sends to us. Those are the kind of pics I love to look at. Even as interesting as they are, there's still a heckuva lot left to explore on our own planet to begin betterment of our species, our society and our planet as a whole. The answers aren't out there, but right in front of our faces and in our hearts. Our planet will just be another floating rock in nothing unless we focus more on what it will take to make things better and equal for all.

I'll save what I really think for a different thread. This one is meant to show some technological and natural marvels and they are appreciated.

It will take time before they can get the new shuttle to meet Cafe requirements.

Great link, thanks.

It will take time before they can get the new shuttle to meet Cafe requirements.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Cafe Requirements :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Space Program Benifits:

# NASA -- TV Gold Medalist

# Cordless Power Tools and Appliances

# Smoke Detector

# Clean Water for the Home

# Home Insulation

# "Cool" Laser Heart Surgery

# Space Telescope Looks for Cancer

# Body Imaging

# New Arms and Legs

# Infrared Thermometer

# Light emitting diodes (LED)

# Composite Forceps

# Pill-Sized Transmitter

# Chromosome Analysis

# Digital Mammography

# Camera on a Chip

* Lightning Protection

* Windshear Prediction

* Collision Avoidance

# Helmet Padding

# Golfball Aerodynamics

* Firefighter Breathing System

* Powerful Jaws for Rescue Tools

Space Program Benifits:

# NASA -- TV Gold Medalist

# Cordless Power Tools and Appliances

# Smoke Detector

# Clean Water for the Home

# Home Insulation

# "Cool" Laser Heart Surgery

# Space Telescope Looks for Cancer

# Body Imaging

# New Arms and Legs

# Infrared Thermometer

# Light emitting diodes (LED)

# Composite Forceps

# Pill-Sized Transmitter

# Chromosome Analysis

# Digital Mammography

# Camera on a Chip

* Lightning Protection

* Windshear Prediction

* Collision Avoidance

# Helmet Padding

# Golfball Aerodynamics

* Firefighter Breathing System

* Powerful Jaws for Rescue Tools

Not important benefits at all :win:

Also add GPS to the lst.

I think we have an anti-science bias in this country. Space exploration puts a real shine on Science IMHO. It's biggest benifit isn't the products or the technology...it's that it gives us a different perspective on the world and how we view ourselves.

Chris

Interesting pics, but I'll hold out until we see what new images Hubble sends to us. Those are the kind of pics I love to look at. Even as interesting as they are, there's still a heckuva lot left to explore on our own planet to begin betterment of our species, our society and our planet as a whole. The answers aren't out there, but right in front of our faces and in our hearts. Our planet will just be another floating rock in nothing unless we focus more on what it will take to make things better and equal for all.

I'll save what I really think for a different thread. This one is meant to show some technological and natural marvels and they are appreciated.

Well, that certainly illustrates some fundamental differences in philosophy between you and I.