Guest Josh

Bill Ford: Get on board or leave

13 posts in this topic

CEO tells employees who have adopted a skeptical stance toward turnaround plans to join him or quit.

Ford Motor Co. Chairman and CEO Bill Ford Jr. said Monday that employees who do not believe his plan for reinventing the company is sincere should take a hike.

"Anyone who thinks or attempts to convince you that it's business as usual at Ford is wrong and would best serve us all by pursuing their interests elsewhere," Bill Ford said in an audio message e-mailed to workers Monday afternoon. "Our heritage of innovation must be reclaimed and renewed or the greatness of our company will become part of our past. It's that simple."

Bill Ford has said he wants to marshal all of the automaker's manpower and resources to transform it into a more innovative and environmentally friendly company. But he may be encountering some skepticism from employees who have been through numerous restructuring efforts.

"A guy like Bill Ford, with his temperament, is not going to say this without it being a very real issue," said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor. "They are going through a major restructuring, and they need to have everybody on board."

Bill Ford's comments come as the automaker prepares to eliminate 4,000 salaried positions by the end of March.

In the accompanying e-mail, Bill Ford told employees Monday that the message was the first in what will be a series of less formal communications he has dubbed "Ford on Ford."

These dispatches from the top underscore what industry observers such as Cole see as a renewed attempt by the great-grandson of Henry Ford to assert control over the company that bears his name.

More: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../511290350/1148

I applaud Bill for htis stance. However acitons speak much louder than words (and keep a company in businesS) but hte fusion and other great products lately will certainly help hteir bottom line.

mariucci must not have wanted to stay on board.....lol i applaud bill for this, Hey Mr. Ford, if you got a spot for me, I'm game.

I sincerely LOVE Bill Ford's approach to management. I don't get paid until we turn a profit. AND if you don't like it get the F*CK outta my way!

I envy Ford Motor Company's position: they actually have a member of the founding family in charge and someone who is accountable, who has a real stake in the company. IMO, that is one of the biggest problems plaguing corporate America today: accountability. Some hot shot, high powered CEO blows in, turns the company around and then blows out again. Nobody actually OWNS the company. All of the board members are temporary. If the company goes down the tubes, everyone flies the coop, leaving an empty nest and they all just roost at the next company and start things all over again.

You know, I honest to goodness like seeing something like this happen. Although I do dislike Ford in general, but its good to see that Bill Ford has enough balls to say "if you don't like the heat, then get the fudge outta my kitchen". I just wish that the guys over at GM would do likewise and we might all see some really good freaking product come outta there.

Are you listening Wagoner? It's your turn to show some muscle and start making some progress. In terms of new product, Ford is way behind GM at this point. Though, because there are less brands to worry about, it won't take as long to recover. Time to start cutting some brands GM. My vote: GMC. It's such a waste of a brand. Sure, it sells well but it's the only brand made up entirely of rebadged chevrolet trucks and vans. Buick and Pontiac deserve to live more than GMC. Hell, even Saturn does with the direction it's taking. Devote more resources to other brands and make them profitable and unique. I know I'm going to get flamed but whatever.

in the early eighties to early nineties Ford had a ballsy product oriented management. in that time, they produced some wonderful cars. i hope they gain that daringness and attitude again. Ford can come back huge and in a big way if they keep the new product coming out at a high rate of speed, but that does not look to be happening. If I were running Ford I would have an assload of new products under way and a new lineup of motors on the way (or hasten the ones in the pipeline). the only product i could foresee not needing a redo in the next 42 calendar months (refinements ok) are the Fusion, Mustang , and that's about it. Edited by regfootball

Also, Ford has been spending a little too much time on cars like the GT and the Mustang and not enough time on bread and butter sedans. They need to shift priorities.

Also, Ford has been spending a little too much time on cars like the GT and the Mustang and not enough time on bread and butter sedans.  They need to shift priorities.

[post="50767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Five Hundred, Freestyle, Fusion, '07 Edge, upcoming Fairlane...don't those count as bread and butter? The only sedans in the Ford brand that haven't been massively updated recently are the Focus and Crown Vic. I'd say Ford is doing pretty darn good.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor