Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Carbon Motors reports 10,000 pre-orders for diesel-powered E7 police car

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Government/Legal, Green, Police/Emergency

car2_opt.jpgCarbon Motors E7 - Click above for high-res image gallery

As it turns out, there's quite a backlog of pent up demand for a purpose-built police car. Who knew that law enforcement officers were so fed up with their current fleet of Ford Crown Vics, Dodge Chargers and Chevrolet Impalas? Apparently, that would be Carbon Motors, which is now reporting an impressive 10,000 pre-orders for its diesel-powered E7 cruiser despite the fact that production isn't schedule to start until 2012.

We can understand the interest. Each E7 will boast an impressive lise of features like 360-degree built-in police-duty LED lights, suicide rear doors with hose-out rear passenger compartment and a separate front compartment with high-tech touches like radar, LoJack, an automatic license plate recognition system, radiation and biological threat detectors and Carbon's exclusive On-board Rapid Command Architecture (ORCA), which features a large touchscreen display and keyboard.

Perhaps the best bit of all is the aluminum-intensive space frame construction with composite body panels, which keeps weight down low enough that the 3.0-liter turbodiesel engine with 300 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque can propel the E7 to 60 mph in just 6.5 seconds and up to a top speed of 155 mph. Fuel economy is pegged at 28-30 miles per gallon, which is well above what any current police vehicles are likely to achieve.

Of course, before they can make good on any of those 10,000 pre-orders, Carbon Motors needs a place to build their wares. While the company has yet to make a decision, it has admitted that officials from Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina and South Carolina have approached them with offers. Check out Carbon Motors' official statement after the jump for more details.

Gallery: Carbon Motors E7

carbon_motors_e7_06_thumbnail.jpgcarbon_motors_e7_01_thumbnail.jpgcarbon_motors_e7_02_thumbnail.jpgcarbon_motors_e7_10_thumbnail.jpgcarbon_motors_e7_03_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Carbon Motors]

Continue reading Carbon Motors reports 10,000 pre-orders for diesel-powered E7 police car

Carbon Motors reports 10,000 pre-orders for diesel-powered E7 police car originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=_gjBojcOceg:hmHFSw3gBQg:wF9xT autoblog?i=_gjBojcOceg:hmHFSw3gBQg:V_sGL
_gjBojcOceg

View the full article

How much will they have to pay Chrysler for using the basic styling of the 300??

car2_opt.jpg

Here are the modified Chrysler 300 police cars from the movie "The Island":

551.jpg

300c0117216gg.jpg

How are they getting so many preorders based on a photoshopped car?

They have a prototype they are visiting various departments with. Its about time we get a car dedicated solely to police.

Their 'prototype' looks like a 300C customized with Acura headlights and other plastic stick on stuff. Color me cynical, but I don't think their really is anything here...

They have a prototype they are visiting various departments with. Its about time we get a car dedicated solely to police.

Why so they can sit around more now than they ever did worring about speeders instead of more important things?

Wow a car with Donut holders LOL!

I find it odd to have that many orders with a company that does not even have a plant to build them in.

I wonder how mad the departments will be when they pay money down and this dream goes bust. Not saying it will but if it does.

So many of these small start up companies are in the worst economic times to try some of this. Few will make it as few do in good times.

I could see Billy Mays doing an informercial pushing this to police departments... it certainly smells like a con job. Trying to get a new car company off the ground, in any economy, is a very expensive and complex effort.

I could see Billy Mays doing an informercial pushing this to police departments... it certainly smells like a con job. Trying to get a new car company off the ground, in any economy, is a very expensive and complex effort.

Yes, Billy Mays would have been a good pitchman. A "no-obligation reservation" should hardly be considered a pre-order.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0