You and your passion for cars

So what is everyone else doing this month to enjoy your car hobby?

For me-Buckeye Miata Club and the local Harley Owners Group (HOG)(who would ever think Harley's and Miatas together) are getting together tomorrow for the groundbreaking at the Flying Horse Farms, a Hole in the Wall Gang Camp like Victory Junction we've both worked to raise funds for.

Last weekend we joined up for a Harley-Miata ride up there for a picnic.

Every day I've drivin to work with the top down, 45 minutes + one way. Got caught in rain twice...took a clouburst before I put the top up.

Went to a couple of Junkyards that have old cars, I have pics if I can figure out how to post them. Found another Junkyard that's been pretty much untouched since 1977 down off of blaine highway. Cars from the 40's and 50's, as well as the 60's there. Checking it out this week.

This afternoon I played hookey from work and my 16 year old son and I rode around with the top down and listened to rock and roll for 3 hours with the top down. Nirvana, a ragtop and sunshine is an addictive combo. We then went to a classic car dealer (Arena Motor Sales) and checked out a couple of street rods. Liked a 39 Chevy buisiness coupe project car we saw.

Tomorrow wife and I are going to ride up the Granville to see one of her friends. Granville is a beautiful historical town. Lots of nice curvy rural roads up there.

Autocross Sunday.

We've got a Get together with the VW TDI club next week, as well as another group of Miata clubs getting together for another southern Ohio tour. Plus, Grand Am and Vintage are coming to Mid Ohio.

There is a large get together of Cobra owners, real and replica last weekend of the month.

My 13 year old daughter and I are going to take a couple "father daughter" trips, as I will with my 8 year old also.

So what are you all doing?

Chris

Still waiting for my car to get worked on. The mechanic whose doing it has been having a run of very bad luck that has been keeping him from getting to my car (this week his senior technician was under quarantine for possible swine flu). He never gets a break.

When it finally does get done, I plan to drive the wheels off of it!

Gonna take it to meet up with other LH owners, probably do some body work to it, condition the leather seats, get wheels for it.

Dodgefan-I think you've got some great places in Mass. and along the coast to explore with that thing once it gets its 3.5.

You and Jessi will have a lot of fun with it. And I know how tough it is to wait to get anything back on the road. Seems to take forever. But like I said before...as a former Concorde owner...with the 3.5 you will be a very happpy guy.

Glad you've found other LH owners you can hang with. I haven't found a lot of other GM guys around here, which is why I probably enjoy the VW and Miata clubs so much.

Chris

>>"Went to a couple of Junkyards that have old cars, I have pics if I can figure out how to post them. Found another Junkyard that's been pretty much untouched since 1977 down off of blaine highway. Cars from the 40's and 50's, as well as the 60's there. Checking it out this week."<<

You know what to keep an eye peeled for, right ???????

I have about 96 hrs of stuff to cram into the next 2 days- maintenance on 2 vehicles, another battle in the Gutter War here at the Balthazar Ranch, repair my power washer and blast the crud off my F-150, try & shorten the hood release cable in order to latch the hood so I can drive it regularly, but it's beyond hope I can manage to insulate the floor or seal the rear wheelwells on the B-59......

Wish I was there to give you a hand, balthazar. Sounds like you've got your hands full. Really looking forward to more pics as your B-59 progresses.

Chris

Clay baring the hell out of my new LS. She will be treated to new bowtie splash guards and an oil change as well. My Bonneville finally was fixed at the body shop and looks great, and should be waxed again along with the Torrent and the 2001 Impala.

..hmm, probably gonna spend some time with my pontiacs... The G5, and the Grand Am.. Shine up some tires, cruze through the streets of the park.. Might take the Aveo for a little road trip into Montana... havent really made my mind up yet.. Busy with flying this month though.

So what is everyone else doing this month to enjoy your car hobby?

Sadly, not as much as you ... but ...

1 ... If the weather cooperates later today (Saturday, June 13), get the older 4 Monte Carlos out for the first time this year. Last weekend was rainy and the weekend before that I couldn't drive because of the post-surgery restrictions...ugh.

2 ... Travel to Collinsville IL (near STL) June 26-28 for the Monte Carlo Nationals.

3 ... Get set for this event in July:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=26485

4 ... Continue working out plans for this road trip along Route 66:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=26482

5 ... Clean the older 4 MCs (I've already washed and waxed the daily driven '87 MC LS/CL once this year)

6 ... Hopefully buy another car ... either a winter beater (i.e. '77-'79 Caprice or another MC LS) or a winter/road trip/daily driver car (like a Dodge Charger or an '06/'07 Lumina LT or LTZ coupe (if I go this direction, it MUST have the standup spoiler and a sunroof).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Out in no-man's land on an old 2-lane" ... Bucky Covington ... 'It's Good To Be Us'

Already have, and will be going to hit as many classic car shows as I can. Theres a surprising amount, every singe day in southern Ontario.

Today, Im heading to St. Catherines for the 21st annual Ontario Camaro Club Nationals!

Should be fun. Its a Camaro only event (no Firebirds). They are expecting 220-260 cars!!!

http://www.ontariocamaroclub.com/2009-nationals.php

occ448.jpg

Well, 66, you can help me by letting me know if you see any B-59 parts cars in those junkyards- I have a few items I'm still looking for.

They crushed the 50's section at the one yard I go to once in awhile, sadly. Probably 750 cars gone out of 1000 that were once there. I've got pics of a 58 Pontiac for you though, If I can figure out how to post them.

Chris

Already have, and will be going to hit as many classic car shows as I can. Theres a surprising amount, every singe day in southern Ontario.

Today, Im heading to St. Catherines for the 21st annual Ontario Camaro Club Nationals!

Should be fun. Its a Camaro only event (no Firebirds). They are expecting 220-260 cars!!!

http://www.ontariocamaroclub.com/2009-nationals.php

occ448.jpg

Post some pics if you will. I'm trying to sell my son Joel on the idea of a Camaro or Firebird project car instead of a 3rd gen RX7.

I think the Bird or 'maro would be about eleventy billion times cheaper and more reliable and more fun.

Chris

Post some pics if you will. I'm trying to sell my son Joel on the idea of a Camaro or Firebird project car instead of a 3rd gen RX7.

I think the Bird or 'maro would be about eleventy billion times cheaper and more reliable and more fun.

Chris

For sure an f-bod would be easier to work on than a rotary. Parts are abundant!

I do have a soft spot for the last RX-7s though. They are quite sweet rides.

Here is one close to me for $12,500. They hold their value.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QAdIdZ134501784

2645jfb_20.jpeg

9711cg8_20.jpeg

Although, for that money, I would be all over this:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QAdIdZ133549688

1 of 17 Purple Pearl Metallic Z28 convertible!!! :mind-blowing:

8957ek1_20.jpeg

800446l_20.jpeg

I like the RX-7 better than the 4th gen Camaro.

I'd also like to replace the exhaust manifold on the Prizm, but no yard in the area has one that isn't cracked, so I may have to buy a new one.

Good luck not being raped on that. I had to buy a used engine to get a good exhaust manifold, but it worked out since a manifold by itself would have been $65 and the engine was $50.

Glad to hear you got a car, Mustang84.

The 4th gen cars are starting to grow on me a little bit...actually.

Having driven an RX-8...and waiting on power...lack of tourque...it's sort of like knowing the school dance is three more hours and it's going to be at least three and a half hours before she is going to want to get it on.

That LS1 wants it NOW!

Chris

The best things about the LSX is the exhaust note. With the right aftermaket setup that thing just makes my spine tingle and the hairs on my arms stand up on end.

Chris

I just read somewhere that the rx-8 is costing mazda an average of $11,000 / car in warranty costs !!!

Not surprising.

Those engines need a major overhaul with very few miles - it comes with the turf.

Sort of like maintaining an airplane.

They do go like stink though.(well at least the RX-7s did)

Edited by Camino LS6

I just read somewhere that the rx-8 is costing mazda an average of $11,000 / car in warranty costs !!!

That would be very correct sir. The problem is that there are very specific things you need to do to get a rotary to run right and keep it running...things most owners won't do.

I've got some friends in the SCCA who run RX-7's, fast light cars (Ken runs a first gen rX-7, another friend runs a second gen RX-7) but easy and low maint they are not.

Best idea is an LS1 motor in a RX-7 Chasis. Lots of power, lots of handling....

Rotaries are an amazing motor. They will run at 9,000 RPM's for a whole 12 hour enduro without thinking a thing about it. Low wieght of components helps, I think perhaps.

Chris

I'm doing my part by helping BMW build RWD's ... :P

Why thank you, for whatever it is you do at the "ultimate" :AH-HA_wink:

As for me this month, keeping the G8 spotless as much as possible, re-doing my detailing routine for it at some point with a switch over to everything Zaino inside and out, roadtrip back up to PA again soon for the rest of my suspension install (struts & shocks were TBD last trip/install), a possible roadtrip short or long to a car show or club gathering locally or a bit farther depending on what's going on...and continued searching for a big career/life change in a field in the automotive world, in whatever form. We'll see how it goes, for all of this.

You gotta love the rotary (Wenkel) motor if onnly on paper.

It does not move in an awkward [sTOP_180*-turn_STOP_18*-turn...] manner.

I've driven two RX-8s, both times I was merciless and enjoyed myself a LOT

more than the S2000s that I've always despised... I drove a few of the Honda

S2000s at length as well, what a masochistic piece of garbage.

SAmadei oh man, I know an Impala is a kind of antelope or something but hearing it will share a new barn with "birds" *splat* and "goats" (don't they like to climb on things?) makes me scared.

>>"Eh, its just a bunch of grumpy old men."<<

Are you looking to date, or looking at cars?

Besides, plenty of old men driving prius's- just take a look around.

-- -- -- -- --

Average parking space has to swallow an 80" wide vehicle- must be 90" min. 4 parking spaces would = around 360" in the shortest span. Mini = 142" overall length.

>>"And even the Cooper can take up 4 parking spots if I do it right. "<<

Please; take a pic... along with perpetual motion machines, 'crypto-physics-defiance' is always an amusing pastime.

Not much in classic car shows here--that's more of a winter thing here, it seems. The biggest car-related thing I've done this month was watching alot of the 24 hrs of LeMans race on Speed this weekend, watched the Turkish Grand Prix last weekend, going to watch the British Grand Prix next weekend. Fun, but too passive and fattening--beer, wings, and racing on a big screen tv :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar