New Cars that make you say WTF?

Pick a few new cars that just make you say...what on earth were they thinking?

Here are my pics.

VW Routan-who thought VW buyers would want a rebadged Chryco minivan? Apparently VW has an 18 month + supply of them.

Nissan Cube-not even going there

BMW X6-Cpying the Aztec?

Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix-bigger, uglier, heavier, less fun to drive than the previous model and less fuel efficient also.

The Routan is by far the worst, imho.

Chris

I love the X6 but I'm not in the majority on this.

Honda Ridgeline is still a steaming pie of elephant turd to me.

Honda Element " " " " " " "

Nissan Cube

Entire Scion lineup, esp. the new xB

New Corolla: talk about stagnant styling. Only the Mercury G.Mq.

has changed LESS in styling in the past decade.

VW Routan, esp. with its "German Engineering" ads makes me HATE VolksWagen.

Chrysler Sebring sedan: epic_FAIL in the styling dept.

the ENTIRE Acura lineup, esp. the TL. That Buggs Bunny Teeth "grille plug" is disgusting.

Honda Pilot. Not horrific from the rear but the nose is more nerdy than Steve Urkel

Kia Rondo: this is called birth-control on wheels.

I third the Cube. I see it being another quirky styling fad that will be old news by mid 2010 and selling under 2000/mo.

Never underestimate this market's love if FUGLY turd-buckets.

I thought the Element, Scion xA & Ridgeline would flop. :huh:

Let see...

Venza, could they build a wagon any uglier?

Cube, sorry I kind of liked the first one, but the new one is flat out ugly!

Element, so ugly only a mother could love it, although the SC verison is much better looking.

Prius, could they make it any more like an easter egg?

2009 Pilot, why did they ruin the second generation.

2009 Corolla, I actually didn't mind the 2003-2008 model but they ruined another car. (Not that I am suprised they have been doing that lately, lets see Tundra, Highlander, Camry and now the Corolla.)

That would be about it, as for the Routan I like it actually much nice looking than the Dodge and Chrysler counter part.

Edited by gm4life

2009 Corolla, I actually didn't mind the 2003-2008 model but they ruined another car. (Not that I am suprised they have been doing that lately, lets see Tundra, Highlander, Camry and now the Corolla.)

Wait, are you saying you can actually tell the difference between the '08 & '09? :P:rolleyes:

The 2003-08 was restyled in the guise of the old Echo.... narrow-wheelbase with a tall

& very unattractive greenhouse, being a fan of the mid 1960s GM "lower-longer-wider"

school of thought that looks sexy as hell & lowers center of gravity I despise those

stupid piles of garbage. Those Corollas are gross. They're awkward, too tall & bland as

hell with very poor proportions, the automotive equivalent of A-cup breasts on a girl

with NO personality. ALL the wrong $h! combined into one bad package of _FAIL.

---- EDIT:

Blackviper just posted another great case in point of

a modern GM with NO soul or common decency. :toiletpaper:

Edited by Sixty8panther

G3/Aveo

G5

xB and xD (but the name is hilarious). I actually like the tC

Chrysler Sebring, especially the convertible

G6 especially convertible

The BMW 5 series hatch $h!brick thing

BMW X6

BMW 1 Series (overpriced, not pretty and cheap inside)

All of Acura's lineup besides the MDX (it's grown on me)

Toyota Corolla. The last was boring but at least it wasn't ugly

The new Lexus hybrid that looks like a Corolla

Nissan Cube (I like the last gen, this gen is a major step backwards)

Ford Focus. Good for Ford that it's selling well, but it's still ugly

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe

Pick a few new cars that just make you say...what on earth were they thinking?

Here are my pics.

VW Routan-who thought VW buyers would want a rebadged Chryco minivan? Apparently VW has an 18 month + supply of them.

Nissan Cube-not even going there

BMW X6-Cpying the Aztec?

Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix-bigger, uglier, heavier, less fun to drive than the previous model and less fuel efficient also.

The Routan is by far the worst, imho.

Chris

gotta chime in here.

the Routan is the most appealing van on the market. VW should not be selling the 3.8, but its the best looking and the 4.0 6 speed drives very well. Yes, i have driven one. I notice the used broker in town has already gotten a few used ones (prob company vehicles). You are right, this vehicle is not of VW character. But this is the Dodge Caravan that should have the Dodge badge on it. In lux trim its the best interior of all vans.

Cube is crap. No exception to that statement.

X6 is terrible and I don't care how 'well it drives'. No BMW defender can justify a 3 ton autobahn ready aztek made in US.

Vibe. I agree. I drove a Vibe 2.4/man about 2 weeks ago, and while its a perfectly functional and highly useful car, it has no business being a Pontiac and evaluated amongst itself its very synthetic and mind numbing.

The Routan is a good product that simply needs a new badge. The others you mention are actually bad products. There is no way to fix the Cube, the X6 is just an inherent 'wtf'? and the Vibe lacks passion of any kind although if let loose some engineers and tuners on it you might be able get something somewhat entertaining out of it. The Vibe's styling is not altogether bad, even if the interior makes you want to stick a knife in your side.

I love the X6 but I'm not in the majority on this.

Honda Ridgeline is still a steaming pie of elephant turd to me.

Honda Element " " " " " " "

Nissan Cube

Entire Scion lineup, esp. the new xB

New Corolla: talk about stagnant styling. Only the Mercury G.Mq.

has changed LESS in styling in the past decade.

VW Routan, esp. with its "German Engineering" ads makes me HATE VolksWagen.

Chrysler Sebring sedan: epic_FAIL in the styling dept.

the ENTIRE Acura lineup, esp. the TL. That Buggs Bunny Teeth "grille plug" is disgusting.

Honda Pilot. Not horrific from the rear but the nose is more nerdy than Steve Urkel

Kia Rondo: this is called birth-control on wheels.

you did pick some very good ones there. kia rondo has to be top dorkwagon available for sale anywhere. People still seem to buy those hondas even though they have atrocious styling. The Chevy Traverse is so much better in so many ways than the Pilot, except it lacks an "H" on the grille.

i am disliking and WTFing the proliferation of German and Asian luxury crossovers.

q5,q7,glk, mlk,volvos,audis, etc. yada.......

1 series bmw to me is very wtf? it would be a different story if it were significantly lighter than the 3 series. but they share a lot of parts i hear. and their weight is close on some models.

compass and patriot are noble ideas but seriously deserve a wtf these days. the liberty really should be the bottom end Jeep. All it needs for that is one additional powertrain that actually gets good mileage.

Hyundai Azera and Kia Amanti are big time wtf....

g3 and g5 obviously......

While I agree with almost 100% of the above, I do have to add the Dodge Caliber. After driving one for a week in Nashville, a few weeks ago, I have to wonder who would buy such junk. The handling is terrible, gas mileage is terrible, and the interior is about as cheap as they get.

Slap a Chrysler and Town and Country badge on the Routan and call it a day

Absolutely, given that the VW version fixed a lot of the inherent issues with the Dodge/Chrysler originals, from interior to suspension tuning. As is, it should be the base of where the true Chrysler versions even start at.

>>"VW Routan-who thought VW buyers would want a rebadged Chryco minivan? Apparently VW has an 18 month + supply of them."<<

Unless things have improved greatly, it was a 27-month supply based on current sales about 1 month ago.

Thank you for the info and good. I like VW, but when people do stupid things they should suffer.

Someone at VW needs to be taken out and shot.

Chris

...and I would agree with the Caliber.

I wonder how many SRT-4 Calibers they ended up selling....I seriously wonder if they even sold over a few hundred of them.

A real damn shame because Chryco's previous turbo four bangers were at least fast and cool in their own way...the SRT-4 Caliber is fast but....ughhh.

Chris

Thank you for the info and good. I like VW, but when people do stupid things they should suffer.

Someone at VW needs to be taken out and shot.

Chris

I actually saw one in a driveway today that was just purchased from the V-Dub dealer in Madison WI.

routans had cheap leases on the table before the bank crash. initially they had a plan to move them. any family vehicle at 35k is a tough sell nowadays when you can't lease.

Yup and the one I saw was an up-level model big wheels and all.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kia Soul

4538061-lg.jpg

With a restyle it could be an ok looking vehicle for the segment I guess. The thing that made me really roll my eyes at it are the light rings around the front speakers that flash with the music. Seemed like a gimmick straight from the cheapest of walmart off-brands. Sad thing is, it'll probably result in sales. :P

The Soul is a distinctive little car...I like the name of the Cube (since I work in a cube) more than the styling.

The Rondo and most small Kias seem to be dreadful little turds, IMHO. The Venza hatchback is add odd but interesting looking little car.

The Chevy Traverse is so much better in so many ways than the Pilot, except it lacks an "H" on the grille.

Sad but true.

If it's got a Chevy Bowtie, Ford Oval or Chrysler seal in

the grill it's always sub-par. Yet not matter how many

times sludge, frame rot & electrical fires occur in a

Japanese car it goes unnoticed.

4538061-lg.jpg

With a restyle it could be an ok looking vehicle for the segment I guess. The thing that made me really roll my eyes at it are the light rings around the front speakers that flash with the music. Seemed like a gimmick straight from the cheapest of walmart off-brands. Sad thing is, it'll probably result in sales. :P

I actually stopped by the Kia dealer today and checked out the Soul. I like it a lot better than I thought I would, as the interior is genuinely nice with pleasant materials and color themes. Surprisingly big, too. Cool exterior details. It's dorky, and I can't picture myself driving one, but it's a fun and cheerful car. The glovebox is red inside... how awesome is that!?

Yup and the one I saw was an up-level model big wheels and all.

my buddy who owned a passat and a chrysler van (3 of them) in the past, his wife was looking at a routan to replace the pilot.

then i told him the routan was a chrysler.

he no longer was interested.

when i told him that the dodge and chrysler vans could be bought the same way for about 10 grand less, he flat out said NO WAY.

having driven the routan, its pretty nice, but i wonder if some of the population found out it was a chrysler and felt duped by the 'german engineering' bit........

dodoge should immediately cease the current body style and suspension spec and slap a dodge grille on the routan and interior with stonogo and sell them at current prices, they would not be able to keep them in stock.

folks who drop dead at seeing a 46k MSRP on a traverse will gladly go to dodge and drop 24k on a completely loaded grand caravan with the routans drive and style.

IT IS a better van than the odyssey and sienna.

4538061-lg.jpg

they are selling well here. i have seen several of them. cheap interior, but it is designed nicely. why buy a corolla?

this segment will boom, as long as its not as ugly as the cube.

this and the Kia Forte will make Kia sales FLY off the charts.

ok by me, as long as toyota is the victim.

Edited by regfootball

The Soul is indeed better looking than the Corolla.

To me though, from the front the Soul looks like a retarded bat that flew into a window because it's echo-location was broken.

Chris

my buddy who owned a passat and a chrysler van (3 of them) in the past, his wife was looking at a routan to replace the pilot.

then i told him the routan was a chrysler.

he no longer was interested.

when i told him that the dodge and chrysler vans could be bought the same way for about 10 grand less, he flat out said NO WAY.

having driven the routan, its pretty nice, but i wonder if some of the population found out it was a chrysler and felt duped by the 'german engineering' bit........

dodoge should immediately cease the current body style and suspension spec and slap a dodge grille on the routan and interior with stonogo and sell them at current prices, they would not be able to keep them in stock.

folks who drop dead at seeing a 46k MSRP on a traverse will gladly go to dodge and drop 24k on a completely loaded grand caravan with the routans drive and style.

IT IS a better van than the odyssey and sienna.

Apparently Volkswagen designed the interior and exterior on their own, so Chrysler doesn't have the rights to the Routan.

Apparently Volkswagen designed the interior and exterior on their own, so Chrysler doesn't have the rights to the Routan.

VW to Chrysler "we'd like to get out of our contract to build so many vans with you. We cannot seem to sell them! How can we get out of this?"

Chrysler to VW "well, let's see. Give us the rights to the Routan front beak and ass end, dashboard top and suspension tuning and we'll call it good"

Edited by regfootball

• 4 weeks later...
>>"New Cars that make you say WTF?"<<

That would be MOST of them.

That's what I was going to type, too ... and I see Camino agrees as well.

Course, the "new car features" aspect of it ... just wow ... some features just make you wonder what they'll think of next.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'