Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Against all odds, Buick to say: "Take a look at me now"

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Marketing/Advertising, Buick, GM

buick_tonight_580.jpg

Surviving the initial bankruptcy shakedown, yet still struggling to stay afloat, the Buick division of General Motors is introducing a new advertising campaign starting this weekend - adding to the handful of all-new campaigns it has launched since 2002. The new offensive, aimed directly at the intended audience of baby-boom drivers, carries the theme "Take a look at me now."

Before you start humming that familiar Phil Collins song, GM wants to assure all of us that we are heading down the wrong path. After all, Mr. Collins actually named his hit "Against all Odds" (and it served as the title song for an 80's movie bearing that same name). This is a different agenda, unrelated to the song, conceptualized by the company's hired ad agency to drive traffic into the showrooms and get warm bodies behind the wheel. This campaign delivers a pointed approach, says GM. We'll buy it... until they tell us next year's ad campaign is "Take me home."

[source: The New York Times]

Against all odds, Buick to say: "Take a look at me now" originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:41:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=xyZsw73HHPw:j4QOpuMTcFc:wF9xT autoblog?i=xyZsw73HHPw:j4QOpuMTcFc:V_sGL
xyZsw73HHPw

View the full article

Too bad we still have to look at the Lucerne. IMHO it looks completely out of place next to the Enclave and the new LaCrosse...

Given the way GM has been acting the last 30 years or so, these Phil Collins lyrics seem appropriate.

Well, if you told me you were drowning

I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend

But I don't know if you know who I am

Well, I was there and I saw what you did

I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off the grin, I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies

Yep, Lucerne either needs to die or get an MCE...since GM is strapped for cash I would be inclined to do the former.

I don't think so, chrome on the door handles, greenhouse, grill details, and fog light surrounds is fine. It's when you see people putting those nasty chrome inserts on door frames and wheels wells that it gets scary...saw a new Malibu that has suffered such a fate.

I don't think so, chrome on the door handles, greenhouse, grill details, and fog light surrounds is fine. It's when you see people putting those nasty chrome inserts on door frames and wheels wells that it gets scary...saw a new Malibu that has suffered such a fate.

Its actually the back and the strip on the bottom of the side doors that are over the top for me.

Yep, Lucerne either needs to die or get an MCE...since GM is strapped for cash I would be inclined to do the former.

I think the Lucerne and the DTS should be discontinued. GM needs to rebuild their brands with the best products they have available. These two hopelessly outdated models certainly don't fall into that category. If GM can't install the 3.6L DI V6/6-speed auto combo and a much more modern looking interior into the Lucerne, then it will continue to be an also ran in the premium segment. I also agree with ZL-1; the exterior design also looks a little out of place next to the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse. It would take one heck of an exterior restyling to make the Lucerne fit in with the rest of Buick's lineup.

If I were GM, I would seriously consider finding a way to get the Insignia based Regal into Buick's lineup early next year. The rest of this year should be devoted to launching the 2010 LaCrosse.

Edited by cire

Its actually the back and the strip on the bottom of the side doors that are over the top for me.

The chrome on the car overall looks pretty subtle and tasteful to me, though I wonder why the ventiports are on top of the hood rather than on the sides, on the more vertical surfaces.

I think the Lucerne and the DTS should be discontinued. GM needs to rebuild their brands with the best products they have available. These two hopelessly outdated models certainly don't fall into that category.

+1

Chris

The car looks good in person and has no more chrome than many other car in its class.

I wish the grill was smaller but other than that it is not bad.

The other Buick will be gone soon so I am not worries about it.

Next to the Enclave and LaCrosse, the Lucerne looks soooooo frumpy and dowdy.

"targeting baby boomers"

again, where does pontiac and saturn's younger customer base go?

chevy?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

even buick admits they are not really emphasizing younger customers.

"targeting baby boomers"

chevy?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

even buick admits they are not really emphasizing younger customers.

Well, they are targeting their current customer base and slightly younger... boomers are 45-63 or so, younger than the current LaCrosse buyers usually are, probably...

"targeting baby boomers"

chevy?

Pretty much. Four people may be heartbroken that they can't get a G3, but life will somehow go on.

Pretty much. Four people may be heartbroken that they can't get a G3, but life will somehow go on.

I figure the 5 people that wanted Astras will probably go for a Cobalt, or a Mazda 3 if they have to have a hatchback, G6 sedan or Aura shoppers could go for the Malibu--it's a newer and nicer version of them-- and Outlook intenders may go for the similar Acadia.

The G3 and G5 were redundant, and Torrent is replaced by the Terrain.

However, Solstice, G6 coupe and convertible shoppers have no equivalent elsewhere in GM now, nor do G8 shoppers :(

The Solstice (or Sky rather, as I prefer it) and G8 are the only casualties, but Kappa wasn't getting a redesign, and GM , if it wanted, could move one or all of them to Chevy with little work.

I hate the G6 coupe and convertible, so I won't miss them.

The Solstice (or Sky rather, as I prefer it) and G8 are the only casualties, but Kappa wasn't getting a redesign, and GM , if it wanted, could move one or all of them to Chevy with little work.

I hate the G6 coupe and convertible, so I won't miss them.

Without the G6 convertible, no GM convertible choice at the Avis counter.. :( My last convertible rentals have been from Hertz (several Mustangs) and Alamo (Sebring, dreadful).

Why would anyone choose a Sebring or G6 vert over a Mustang vert? Especially the new one.

Why would anyone choose a Sebring or G6 vert over a Mustang vert? Especially the new one.

I wouldn't, but I'm sure there are GM fans that would want one.... never seen too many on the road, though.

Priced out a new LaX CXL FWD and CXS, pricing is pretty good. Except the nav is rip a big rip. The even freaker thing is that this might be my next car. (Maybe a Malibu) But a Buick, I never would have thought and I consider a stripper Enclave when I got my Torrent but COULDN'T justify the HUGE price difference. Plus the Enclave was just too big for me. I have owned Pontiac, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Olds but never a Buick. A stripper CXL with chrome wheels or a CX with 18 inch alloy wheels wouldn't be a bad way to have the style and keep cost down. (This would be provided my son gets the Camaro SS, which is seeming more likely. I must have one in the family.)

Edited by gm4life

any place to see the commercial?

They showed up on ABC each hour last night. I like them, and I have been very critical of Buick's advertising. They definitely appeal to a younger audience as well as Boomers. Fun, chic and the vehicles look crazy good. The emphasis is on the Enclave and LaX of course, each getting their own and a combo ad.

Next to the Enclave and LaCrosse, the Lucerne looks soooooo frumpy and dowdy.

I think the Lucerne still has life. Nothing a serious face-lift, an interior make-over and a content up-grade wouldn't take care of. The overall sheet metal, other than the face, is still relevant. Bevel the hood, modernize the eyes, pick up that chin, laminate those teeth with the LaCrosse grill and overall balance the elements with the right proportions. The interior should be redesigned to reflect the new LaCrosse standards and they need to beef up the content offerings. This is a car that can still have wide appeal, it seems to attract both older and younger Buick buyers. And some folks still want a full-size automobile. A "real" freshening could do the trick for the rest of its life-span (no matter how short) and go a long way towards strengthening the new Buick image. The smaller cars coming will only serve to broaden the offerings and when they take off, get the LaX established and slip Lucerne into that eternally green Buick pasture in the sky. Then do what they should have done all along and build the next generation Park Avenue here, with similar content that is in China. Now there is a flagship!

Edited by InvictaMan

According to an article by Jamie LaReau in Automotive News, like someone who has lost some weight or had some plastic surgery done, Buick says "Take a look at me now!" Read the story here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0