GM CEO: "Give Us Another Chance"

Are you willing to give GM another chance?

I personally am not, other than the GM cars I currently own, I have no plans to buy another GM product. I take exception to GM closing the Wilmington plant, especially since it's paint shop had a 300 million dollar upgrade not long ago, it has a rail yard and a port nearby. I am content to sit back and watch an epic failure take place. :deathwatch: So tell me, will you buy from the new GM? What are your beefs, what are your gripes with the old or new GM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson says the new GM will be a leaner and quicker company that's more focused on its customers and its products, and urged consumers to not ignore the storied automaker.

Henderson said it wasn't the end of the company, but "the start of a new and better chapter," after asking Americans to "give us another chance."

Henderson spoke Monday at a news conference in New York after the fallen icon of American industry filed for bankruptcy protection. President Barack Obama says it is part of a "viable achievable plan" that will give the company "a chance to rise again."

Henderson says the new GM will be built from the strongest parts of its business, including its best brands and best products.

The company plans to focus on four core brands - Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC - and get rid of four others - Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer and Saab.

Consumers, worried about the economy and the future of GM, shied away from the company's cars and trucks this year even after President George W. Bush promised loans and Mr. Obama followed through with billions more in assistance - plus a stiff set of new requirements GM was ordered to meet.

When GM failed to do so by a March 31 deadline, Mr. Obama forced out CEO Rick Wagoner and replaced him with Henderson.

Wagoner served at the helm since 2000 and was the face of GM when he first flew on the company jet to ask Congress for aid. After a firestorm of negative publicity, Wagoner rode in a hybrid Chevrolet Malibu from Detroit to Washington for a second set of withering questions before lawmakers.

But that amounted to only a sideshow as the automaker's financial position worsened. Its revenues plunged almost 50 percent in the quarter ended March 30 and it racked up another $6 billion in losses.

The Henderson-led GM faced a government-imposed June 1 deadline to restructure, slash costs and modify contracts with its union and dealers. But meeting most of those demands, plus a late agreement by many bondholders to swap portions of the $27 billion in debt they are owed for shares in a new GM, were not enough to prevent the court filing.

In fact, it was an all-out sprint to Monday's filing, as GM quickly sought to nail down deals with its union, bondholders and sell off brands and along with most of its Opel operations in Europe in an effort to appear in court with a near-complete plan to quickly emerge as a leaner company with a chance to become profitable.

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/01/...usiness_5054598

With every new generation of vehicles that arrives, GM always tries to convince us "it's different this time." I'm hoping this will be the last...

Are you willing to give GM another chance?

I personally am not, other than the GM cars I currently own, I have no plans to buy another GM product. I take exception to GM closing the Wilmington plant, especially since it's paint shop had a 300 million dollar upgrade not long ago, it has a rail yard and a port nearby. I am content to sit back and watch an epic failure take place. :deathwatch: So tell me, will you buy from the new GM? What are your beefs, what are your gripes with the old or new GM?

I'm willing to give GM a chance - but their upcoming product portfolio doesn't appeal to me. I'm not interested in a generic Daewoolet Viva when I can get an iconic Fiesta, Polo, 500, or MINI. I'm not old, so I'm not interested in any Buick. I don't need a truck, so I'm not interested in any GMC. I do like the idea of a young, sporty Cadillac, but I can't afford one. I like Saab and Saturn, but they're gone.

I will but it will be because of product, and I do hope they will have something to suit my needs. (They should and not just the Camaro.) My big reason I am sticking with them through this is my belief in an American Company and my trusty GM dealership. I am not going to stick it to GM just because I don't like the current president or his policy. I hold out hope for GM to return to private ownership and if it doesn't happen under Obama it will under the following president. So will I buy from the new GM in the next four years under Obama unlikely, and that is mostly due to the fact I don't need another car. I am hoping to wait at least four years, and so will my son. **He just got the 2005 LS** (One of us will be getting a Camaro SS.)

Edited by gm4life

I will but it will be because of product, and I do hope they will have something to suit my needs. (They should and not just the Camaro.) My big reason I am sticking with them through this is my belief in an American Company and my trusty GM dealership. I am not going to stick it to GM just because I don't like the current president or his policy. I hold out hope for GM to return to private ownership

Well, I think you can count Cerberus out... :D

Edited by empowah

I want my money back. Whether you like what GM has done in the past or that our government has bailed them out, the fact remains they have our tax dollars. The only way we are going to get it back is by supporting them.

PLEASE DON'T BE STUPID ENOUGH TO THROW YOUR TAX DOLLARS AWAY!! Atleast "buy" GM, or Chrysler, until we get our money back.

With the loans, nothing has changed for me...I'll still consider GM (or Chrysler) as long as they build what I'm looking for. GM's survival to both pay back the loans and help rebuild the economy is worth far more than whatever "sins" it has committed in the past/present.

Edited by mustang84

why is it so hard for GM to make an affordable rwd coupe that doesn't weight 4000 lbs? TOYOTA is coming out with one in 2011 for god sake! GM needs to get its head out its ass and produce what people want for a change :nono:

I'd consider a Camaro or CTS. Since I don't do FWD, there isn't much for me at GM, unfortunately. Nothing to compare to Jeeps, either...looking forward to the '11 GC.

I'm sad to see the G8 and Kappas go, they were worthy products that deserved a future, IMHO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Seeing as they've built the most reliable, and dependable vehicle in my garage, a GM dealership would be my first place to go when shopping for something new.

That sums it up for me and everybody in my house too.

I want my money back. Whether you like what GM has done in the past or that our government has bailed them out, the fact remains they have our tax dollars. The only way we are going to get it back is by supporting them.

PLEASE DON'T BE STUPID ENOUGH TO THROW YOUR TAX DOLLARS AWAY!! Atleast "buy" GM, or Chrysler, until we get our money back.

Our tax dollars will most likely be thrown away regardless. It's not like our government has ever been efficient with our tax money.

I like what I've seen of the new LaCrosse, Equinox, Enclave, CTS, CTS Wagon, CTS Coupe, Malibu, and I liked the Lucerne when it first came out, though I'm not sure how well it has aged. I'd still consider GM, fer sher.

That sums it up for me and everybody in my house too.

your camaro is dependable?? i changed the window motors in my '97 3 times in the year that i owned it. not to mention the driver's side door was starting to sag. i also had to replace the dashboard because it was cracking so bad it almost split in half. that's some awesome build quality right there :banghead:

your camaro is dependable?? i changed the window motors in my '97 3 times in the year that i owned it. not to mention the driver's side door was starting to sag. i also had to replace the dashboard because it was cracking so bad it almost split in half. that's some awesome build quality right there :banghead:

There is a fix for that window problem, the factory wiring doesn't get 14 volts to that motor. Here's what I found with a 2 minute search: http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Passenger-...-Fix-Kit_1.aspx

Edited by Chevy Nick

why is it so hard for GM to make an affordable rwd coupe that doesn't weight 4000 lbs? TOYOTA is coming out with one in 2011 for god sake! GM needs to get its head out its ass and produce what people want for a change :nono:

The Toyo car got cancelled, btw.

Chris

Probably more as a hobby car than a daily driver. I like the HHR SS and the Cobalt SS. we'll see what's out next year when I buy my next car.

If they only have a bland version of the Cruze and I can have a new Euro Focus (SVT version perhaps?) a MINI, a GTI, a TDI, something from Alfa, etc....then perhaps no.

Waiting to see what's available next year.

Chris

Well since Pontiac is gone, I probably won't consider buying any GM vehicles. I am more likely to consider a Chrysler than a GM vehicle now.

Same here for me about 6 of my Pontiac cohorts. They're mixed between Ford and Chrysler... but I'm still likely looking at BMW.

Sure, I may still buy a Camaro, but it'll be used.

new GTI is fast becoming the most appealing new car on the market for me. yet GM has nothing in the small sport coupe, small sport sedan, small practical and sporty sedan [Mazda3], and cruze needs an SS model.......when will any of these happen? when will GM have any of these, or the large luxury sedan G8 sized with great caddy style. the cts is not yet stale, but being the only model puts a lot of pressure on this design. what about a really good jetta competitor, guess that'll be the upcoming astra sedan. with GM, entering the exciting segments the market has to offer always seems like a future prospect or a never gonna happen prospect.

Nope. Sources indicate the Toyoaru rear-drive coupe is back on.

Interesting..I'm surprised they instead haven't developed a coupe version of the Prius to appeal to the green youth market.

The idea of the sporty RWD Toyota seems so odd, as the era of RWD Supras and Celicas seems long past..

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I think I will "still consider" GM.

But, it's not a sure bet that I will "buy GM" like it would've been a few years ago.

The problem is; GM just doesn't have the brands or models that appeal to me anymore.

Pontiac is gone, along with the 3 Pontiacs I would've considered. Saturn and all of it's models are gone (which was probably my second choice for basic transportation)

Chevrolet is still here... But, the shedding of SS models leaves me with only a few choices: Camaro, Corvette (too pricey and possibly too small) and Malibu (becoming too common, as good as it is) I *like* the direction Buick is going, but 1) I can't afford them and 2) I'm still not 100% convinced. GMC is there, but I'm not much of a truck person. I do like the Terrain and the out-of-my-current-price-range Denalis, though.And then there's Cadillac... Which only has 2 cars I'd be seen in and they're both a bit too plebeian for me style-wise. (I'm reserving judgement on the new SRX until I see it in person)

Honestly, if I wanted a sedan right now, it'd be hard not to find myself at a Ford dealership. I LOVE the Fiesta and the Fusion and ESPECIALLY Taurus are really growing on me by the day.

Interesting..I'm surprised they instead haven't developed a coupe version of the Prius to appeal to the green youth market.

The idea of the sporty RWD Toyota seems so odd, as the era of RWD Supras and Celicas seems long past..

Rob

Toyota was producing the MR2 Spyder just 4 years ago for the US and until 2007 for the rest of the world (We got shafted), but Toyota has proven they can do RWD, as evidenced by the Supra, MR2's, Cressidas, and older Celicas. In Japan they have some sportier RWD cars. The Mark X is an awesome car and would fit great in Toyota's lineup as a true Cressida replacement. Much better than the Avalon.

Edited by 84Cressida

Same here for me about 6 of my Pontiac cohorts. They're mixed between Ford and Chrysler... but I'm still likely looking at BMW.

Sure, I may still buy a Camaro, but it'll be used.

This is where I'm sitting too.

But now that I've lost the ST and Pontiac, I'm in no kind of hurry for a new car.