Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Alfa Romeo to build 169 sedan on same platform as Chrysler 300... in Ontario, eh?

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Euro, Chrysler, LLC., Alfa Romeo

alfa-300.jpg

According to a new report in Financial Post, Alfa Romeo may build its forthcoming 169 sedan in Chrysler LLC's Brampton, Ontario facility - a development made possible by the latter's tie-up with Fiat (which owns Alfa). The article cites a projection by automotive research firm IHS Global Insight that states that the 169 will be built on the same underpinnings with the next Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. That news would make sense as Alfa was reportedly shopping for a rear-drive platform that could be sold in North America as early as a year ago.

If IHS' report is accurate and production on an Ontario-assembled 169 indeed comes to pass, it would mark the first time that a premium European luxury auto is assembled in Canada.

[source: Financial Post]

Alfa Romeo to build 169 sedan on same platform as Chrysler 300... in Ontario, eh? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=3dHGNa3316k:h5UkzC9ASEc:wF9xT autoblog?i=3dHGNa3316k:h5UkzC9ASEc:V_sGL
3dHGNa3316k

View the full article

That's... wacky... :huh:

That's... wacky... :huh:

So wait...Chrysler is going to build an ALFA 169 Sedan on a Mercedes E-class platform, IN CANADA! :confused0071:

And everyone accuses GM of platform sharing! :mind-blowing: It will be interesting if some of the HOT Alfa's come over here any time soon. They make some damned sexy cars in Europe.

Edited by toesuf94

I just hope they bring over the MiTo.

Chris

So wait...Chrysler is going to build an ALFA 169 Sedan on a Mercedes E-class platform, IN CANADA! :confused0071:

And everyone accuses GM of platform sharing! :mind-blowing: It will be interesting if some of the HOT Alfa's come over here any time soon. They make some damned sexy cars in Europe.

It is interesting...but AFAIK, the LX platform isn't an Mercedes E-class platform, though..it's similar to the E class from a couple generations back as far as the rear suspension design, but not the same.

What is going to be interesting is if Chrysler gets it's own version of the Fiat 500 and Ford brings the 500-based Ka to NA.

The 169 is going to replace the current FWD 166, I assume...

Rob

Off topic but...

Oh, and it as fun at the autocross Sunday. We have a 16 year old kid named Daniel who races an old Milano. Everyone was like "sooo...your racing a Chrysler now....."

Chris

I read that Chry was developing a new LY platform, which was going to be lighter and more rigid to underpin these cars and would have no resemblance with the old Merc inspired LX platform.

It's a common misconception the the LX is mostly an e-class underneath. The LX is Chrysler's own design, just borrows suspension architecture from the E-Class. The new LX's were going to be called LY, but Chrysler apparently decided to stick with the LX name.

It's a common misconception the the LX is mostly an e-class underneath. The LX is Chrysler's own design, just borrows suspension architecture from the E-Class. The new LX's were going to be called LY, but Chrysler apparently decided to stick with the LX name.

Well that is the new development then. Good to know.

:confused0071:

LX and LY are different platforms, both still being used. The LY platform is just a shortened LX platform on which the Challenger is built. The 200C concept was also built on the LY platform. I'm pretty sure the next 300 and Charger will still be on the LX platform. The Alfa 169 could be built on either the LX or LY platform.

:confused0071:

LX and LY are different platforms, both still being used. The LY platform is just a shortened LX platform on which the Challenger is built. The 200C concept was also built on the LY platform. I'm pretty sure the next 300 and Charger will still be on the LX platform. The Alfa 169 could be built on either the LX or LY platform.

LY was originally supposed to be the platform name for the next gen LX cars (Charger, 300) but according to allpar the name was dropped and they will be called LX. From what I understood the Challenger is still designated LX, but I could be wrong.