Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Ex-VP of marketing says GM is "so bureaucratic it stifles all passion and creativity"

4 posts in this topic

Filed under: Marketing/Advertising, GM

mike_jackson.jpg

Michael Jackson was hired by General Motors in 2000. In 2006, he was made the VP of marketing and advertising. Less than a year later, he retired. In a recent column in Automotive News, he wrote a commentary calling on the bankrupt automaker to "overhaul marketing," saying "GM needs passion and creativity - not incentives." Now, in an interview with Advertising Age, he says that GM's bureaucracy doused the fire of innovation.

His specific indictments were that "U.S. operations have too many layers for approval of ads," that GM is a "bureaucracy of meetings culture," that GM put "engineers and finance people with no marketing training in key marketing positions," and that GM doesn't "treat its ad agencies like partners but rather as vendors. If an agency doesn't fall in line with the marketer's demands, the client threatens to move the business." That turned agencies into factory stampers that would "present work they know will get approved, not cool, risky creative."

We can all see how that could have been true at GM. Yet before anyone aims the truncheon at GM, as one of the Ad Age article commenters wrote, "Mike Jackson's comments are emblematic of many large, lumbering companies that place process above performance." Anyone who understands the comic strip Dilbert knows exactly what Jackson speaks of. If his sentiments are accurate, it doesn't excuse what GM has become, but it's certainly fair to say that the automaker is far from alone. The point of bankruptcy is to let GM start over. Hat tip to Grahm!

[source: Advertising Age]

Ex-VP of marketing says GM is "so bureaucratic it stifles all passion and creativity" originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=OxFL6Vm1kCE:z5KvJ6WliN0:wF9xT autoblog?i=OxFL6Vm1kCE:z5KvJ6WliN0:V_sGL
OxFL6Vm1kCE

View the full article

GM COULD have made use of all its brands for keeping share. This obviously is a duh thing, considering all that's occured.

This article is spot on. GM's ads have long been absolutely terrible. Better, more creative marketing could do wonders. It's my belief that it alone could have saved Pontiac or at least helped accelerate the change in perception of the brand. I don't think I've ever seen a single GTO or G8 commerical, and Solstice marketing died just after the whole Apprentice stunt. But there were always tons of "stock footage with voiceover telling the deal of the day" ads for the G6 and Torrent.

BTW - where are the Camaro ads?

More than product development, production efficiency it these "soft skills" GM needs to fix and be constantly on offensive, post bankruptcy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0