NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: 2011 Ford Mustang to finally get new 3.7-liter DOHC V6

25 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertibles, Coupes, Tech, Ford, Rumormill

2010mustangfd_16_opt.jpg
2010 Ford Mustang GT - Click above for high-res image gallery

When the 2010 Mustang was unveiled at the LA Auto Show last November, a collective groan arose from the crowd when it was revealed that the 2009 engine lineup was essentially being carried over. This was particularly true for the base V6 model being propelled by the ancient 4.0-liter V6 which dates back to the 2.8-liter Capri engine of the 1970s. At the debut, Ford asked us to be patient and promised that powertrain upgrades were forthcoming.

Ever since the 3.5-liter V6 debuted in the Edge and Lincoln MKX a couple of years back, Mustang have fans have wanted to see it under the hood of their favorite pony. The problem is that engine was designed for transverse front-wheel drive applications and needed some significant reworking to go into rear-drive layouts. That work has been ongoing in order to mount the new twin-turbo EcoBoost version in the F-150 pickup next year. This work is expected to translate into a normally aspirated version of the 3.5 or 3.7-liter V6 for the ponycar about a year from now, likely for the 2011 model year.

In fact, it's now being reportedly by The Mustang News that Ford showed a 3.7-liter Mustang at an employee townhall meeting recently, although no specs were revealed. In the MKS, the 3.7 churns out 273 hp with port fuel injection. With direct injection coming to the 3.5 EcoBoost, a normally aspirated DI 3.7 can't be out of the question either, with 300+ hp to match the heavier Chevrolet Camaro. Now, about that V8... Thanks to Shibby9505 for the tip!

[source: TheMustangNews.com]
Photos Copyright ©2008 Drew Phillips / Weblogs, Inc.

REPORT: 2011 Ford Mustang to finally get new 3.7-liter DOHC V6 originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Qb4fvyAqrXY:sdh_cf5JaWc:wF9xT autoblog?i=Qb4fvyAqrXY:sdh_cf5JaWc:V_sGL
Qb4fvyAqrXY

View the full article

About time... the V6 'Stang is an otherwise very competent package with the upgrades it received for 2010/

the V6 and only having 5 speeds has held it back, certainly.

so that makes the 4.6, totally out of the picture right?

So the 3.7 will have at least 275 hp, replacing the 210 hp 4.0. The same model year will bring the 5.0 32v DOHC v8 to the GT making 400 hp. Quite the upgrades, the 2010 update was better in every way than the 05-09, in many cases being class leading and the few cases it wasnt it was class competitive.

The holdover drivetrains were the biggest let down of the new 2010 and this MORE than addresses it, especially since the 2010 models were still better than the Challenger in terms of accelleration and only a few ticks behing the camaro.

the V6 and only having 5 speeds has held it back, certainly.

so that makes the 4.6, totally out of the picture right?

Either that, or the 4.6 will remain for the GT and the 400hp 5.0 will be in a model (Mach 1?) between the GT and the GT500. Something like that has been rumored for a while.

Rob

Either that, or the 4.6 will remain for the GT and the 400hp 5.0 will be in a model (Mach 1?) between the GT and the GT500. Something like that has been rumored for a while.

Rob

This is a possibility for the 2011 model year while the 5.0 ramps up but the 4.6 will be gone before the 2012 year at which point the 5.0 will be the standard GT engine.

I think its funny how Ford has to use a DOHC setup to get 400 horse, when Chevy can use the SOHC in the Camaro and get 6-22 more horsepower, and the SOHC is a simpler motor.

I think its funny how Ford has to use a DOHC setup to get 400 horse, when Chevy can use the SOHC in the Camaro and get 6-22 more horsepower, and the SOHC is a simpler motor.

Camaro doesn't have SOHC...it's an pushrod engine.

Rob

An important improvement for these times, when scary tree huggers tell us what to do. Now when Dodge gets the Pentastar V6 in their Challenger, we will have 3 fully-realized, thoroughly modern Pony cars back in the game.

Camaro doesn't have SOHC...it's an pushrod engine.

Rob

Yea sorry basically what I meant, it has a single cam shaft setup just like they have been doing for years.

A black new-generation Mustang would be my first choice for a new car. The upcoming, updated V6 model sounds like it wouldn't have much of a problem keeping up with a V6 Camaro either.

A black new-generation Mustang would be my first choice for a new car. The upcoming, updated V6 model sounds like it wouldn't have much of a problem keeping up with a V6 Camaro either.

The new v6 will be putting out 275 hp at the very least with 285 to 290 more likley since it is getting a more aggressive air intake than it has in FWD applications. this plus the face that the v6 stang will be 300-400 lbs lighter than the camaro will likley make it faster than the camaro despite giving up a few ponies to it. power to weight ratios makes fast cars, not just horsepower.

ford's n/a v6's need DI to remain competitive. that said, a 280hp v6 in the mustang with 6 speed would be all the mustang i would need.

the problem is the camaro looks SOOOO much sexier. can i just have both?

ford needs to follow through on that "F-100" that was rumored. a 4wd F100 with 6 speed and 6 cyl ecoboost would be a very fuel efficient but capable truck.

Edited by regfootball

the problem is the camaro looks SOOOO much sexier. can i just have both?

No, the problem is the Camaro needs to make friends with Jenny Craig. It's like a fat girl with a pretty face; you know if she just slimmed down a little, you'd be hitting that every night, x amount of times back to back. But until she slims down, you're just going to have to fantasize until your balls are blue.

No, the problem is the Camaro needs to make friends with Jenny Craig. It's like a fat girl with a pretty face; you know if she just slimmed down a little, you'd be hitting that every night, x amount of times back to back. But until she slims down, you're just going to have to fantasize until your balls are blue.

Get the V8 then you won't have to worry about the V6 Stang smoking you regardless! lol! :neenerneener:

Get the V8 then you won't have to worry about the V6 Stang smoking you regardless! lol! :neenerneener:

Hey man, the country's in a recession. This old kid is a little too poor to pony up for a V8.

In any case, breast implants still aren't enough to make up for Miss Thunderthighs' extra junk in the trunk. Bitch needs to go on a diet to make a nice, complete package.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Boss V-8 is coming with 400hp for 2010.

No, the problem is the Camaro needs to make friends with Jenny Craig. It's like a fat girl with a pretty face..

The Camaro is like J Lo or Eva Mendes...great face, curvy, great big arse..baby got back, nothin' wrong with that.. :)

The Boss V-8 is coming with 400hp for 2010.

Yea I know, but Ive always heard Mustangs have had alot of trouble hooking up with the road. Ever see one driving in the rain? I mean if you have the power but can't get it to the road what good is it? lol

Hey man, the country's in a recession. This old kid is a little too poor to pony up for a V8.

In any case, breast implants still aren't enough to make up for Miss Thunderthighs' extra junk in the trunk. Bitch needs to go on a diet to make a nice, complete package.

I know I know... I have a V8 truck and a Camaro, and I feel the pinch sometimes, but im not giving them up just because of gas. I like driving a V8 it's fun.

Sigh

ford's n/a v6's need DI to remain competitive. that said, a 280hp v6 in the mustang with 6 speed would be all the mustang i would need.

The D37 was limited to 275 HP (Lincoln MKS) because it was designed for transverse applications, much like GM's LLT being limited to 280 in such applications.

Turned 90 degrees, it should be able to break 300 or get really close to it. Without DI.

The D37 was limited to 275 HP (Lincoln MKS) because it was designed for transverse applications, much like GM's LLT being limited to 280 in such applications.

Turned 90 degrees, it should be able to break 300 or get really close to it. Without DI.

so add the di and go for 325

BTW, i like all types of wmn. not all thin chicks are hot. not all larger or heavier girls are fat. i find the ones sometimes i like the most are those Emme types. a tall full blonde for example with lots to admire.

the camaro should be lighter, but its still here. some folks like the buffet, bbw's and all of that. the camaro's styling overcomes it all and still manages to be a riveting product that will please lots of owners that want to ride in it.

so add the di and go for 325

I'm not arguing. :smilewide:

That kinda takes "competitive" out of the picture if you do that, though. The base Mustang would then most likely easily outrun the Camaro SS.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead