Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: One Last Time: Henderson slams door on Pontiac G8 revival

94 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Sports/GTs

2008chevyluminass02low.jpg
Middle East-market Chevy Lumina SS - Click above for high-res gallery

General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson held a web chat with journalists earlier today over at the automaker's Fastlane Blog. (Full transcript available here.) Now, despite persistent rumors to the contrary, it's been reported a few times over that GM has no intention of resurrecting the Aussie-built Pontiac G8 under a different division, even though variants of the G8's Holden Commodore source material are sold in foreign markets under both the Chevrolet and Buick nameplates. This is a lamentable course of action, to say the least, because the G8 is a really good car. In particular, the G8 GT and GXP models are downright excellent. Towards the end of the web proceedings, AutoWeek's Greg Migliore went to the well one last time on behalf of enthusiasts everywhere, asking Henderson if the G8 has any future under one of the "new" GM's remaining brands.

14:45 [Comment From Greg Migliore--AutoWeek]
Does the Pontiac G8 have any kind of future within General Motors as a re-badged model? What kinds of changes would need to be made to the car for it to be sold under another brand?

14:45 Fritz Henderson: I am not a fan of rebadging.

That's a terse, and disappointing, answer - especially considering that of GM's four remaining divisions, GMC is made up almost exclusively of warmed-over Chevrolets. R.I.P. Pontiac G8. (Or new Chevy Impala. Or Buick Park Avenue...)

[source: GM Fastlane via Motor Trend]

One Last Time: Henderson slams door on Pontiac G8 revival originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=5Lu925OJ81g:V1lCpSluuqs:wF9xT autoblog?i=5Lu925OJ81g:V1lCpSluuqs:V_sGL
5Lu925OJ81g

View the full article

Good ol' vague response...

Maybe he means an "impala" could get its own bodywork?...

Perhaps "rebadging" isn't really "rebadging" when the brand one of the vehicles comes from doesn't exist anymore?

While one could dream that the Zeta architecture will be utilized for a new "impala", I'm not holding my breath.

While one could dream that the Zeta architecture will be utilized for a new "impala", I'm not holding my breath.

Most likely, Impala will stay as is another 5-10 years, or be replaced with a boring Epsilon II generic.

Rob

There is no emoticon or meme that can display my rage.

I'm really starting to hate 'ol Fritz.

I didn't expect much from him; he's just another GM lifer, another bean counter like Wagoner, part of the problem, not the solution.

Rob

What a foolish decision!!!!!!!...

I guess that means that the current W-body Impala can keep reinforcing Chevrolet's outdated, bargain basement alternative image while stealing sales from the superior Malibu. While a Commodore based Impala won't provide the same volume that the current W-body version supplies, it would make Chevrolet appear more modern and progressive. It would also give the Malibu some breathing room to make a proper impact on the midsize segment without being undermined by an outdated, slightly larger, incentive driven sibling.

Edited by cire

I don't like rebadging, well could it be badge engineering? Fritz don't tell me your this dumb, that car belongs at Chevrolet or hell even Buick. It is a waste of a perfectly good car.

Edited by gm4life

Let us take a look at the statment.

14:45 Fritz Henderson: I am not a fan of rebadging.

I do not see the terms No, Not going to Happen, Never, No way Impossible, etc.....

I do not want to generate any false hope here and I do not want to say it will happen. But based on this fact I will not slam the door on this yet. WHo knows with the way the shots are being called Fritz may not be here in six months.

I also am not a fan of rebadges and never have been. But this is one case where it is a good thing not just for Chevy but for Holden.

The G8 is reported to be worth 1 Billion in income to Holden. If Holden needs money after the G8 dies it could make a quick comeback.

Also only an idiot would anounce a Chevy version before you sell the present G8's sitting on dealer lots. If you anounce the Chevy how many G8 would go unsold as people would wait for the Chevy just on the principle of resale value alone on a Orphan car.

I for one would wait for the Chevy if it was the same car.

Either way I will not say it is coming back yet but he did not say no and the door is not slammed shut yet. Lets just wait and see what happens. When some one say not and never than that is the time to call him an idiot if it makes you feel better.

How often was the Zeta put on hold and the press killed it? WIth GM statments you need to look at what they really say or at times don't say.

One other factor they may watch is the demand for the G8 once the market picks up. Right now why would you import a car that is not selling well in this poor sales market.

It may pick up if car sales take off. I just got a $2500 off loyalty deal from GM on a G8. Only the G6 was higher at $2750. The G3 was only $2000 off. You don't make big offers on these cars if they are selling.

Edited by hyperv6

Maybe he doesn't want to spoil the nice surprise that might be coming?

I'm generally a pessimist, and I would wholeheartedly be shocked if they continued to sell this car as a Chevy or a Buick. But perhaps GM is going to continue this car under one of the remaining brands next year and they're just concerned that if they spill the beans on that plan, then the current G8's may not move as quickly off the lots.

But, who in the world knows?

I think this car rocks - and I would have bought one last fall instead of my Vue if we didn't already own an expensive G35.

GM definitely has a clear winner with this vehicle, and I think they're really stupid to get rid of it. This car brings some real driving enthusiasts back into the GM family that could easily go and buy a 3 Series or a G35 instead. This would make a great Chevy Impala.

There could be a concern about what to do with the current Impala. Perhaps keep the Impala name on the front drive car and the G8 could become the Impala SS.

Or they could bring back the Caprice name for the G8- although I don't know how well that would resonate with young car enthusiasts.

Edited by gmcbob

Or bring it back as a Buick (like I've been saying for a year or so). There's tons of great old Buick names they could slap on it.

Now that I think about this I believe they really don't know what to do with this car till the market recovers. The last thing GM needs is more cars sitting around.

The fact is He did not say no yet. Also if he made any entertaining thought they would bring it here and then say now later you guys would be even more pissed than you are now with this vauge stament.

Bringing it here under this economic climate is not a not brainer. The thing we have going is it can be done at a profit with low volume. But right now even low volume is not selling all that great now.

Lets see what the economy and GM do in the next 6 months and that could change a lot of things. The sad part I do not see the car market picking up for a good while yet. Too many people not working and more to lose their jobs yet. It is going to take time to right the economy and we are not even sure what they are doing is going to work yet.

...except that G8 is one of the few GM products actually selling pretty well these days.

The G8 is a nice car for sure- I sat in two of them yesterday, but on almost every forum I've read when someone bought a G8, at the end of the sentence is usually something along the lines of "i got a great deal on it....$XXXXX off MSRP". GM probably isn't making a profit on it so that's why they're cutting it. Of course, GM also said that Pontiac would not get a Cobalt rebadge back in 2005.

Edited by 84Cressida

I'm not jumping to conclusions on this being a definitive answer by any means. If so, then the point already made sets a clear irony, that GMs trucks aren't any more Chevrolet products than they are GMC, and vice-versa... so what'll it be? Could we see a different nameplate with slightly different front and rear fascia by any other name? I ask because his answer isn't clear enough on the subject.

I really hate it when people don't answer the question. There are three acceptable, non-weasel answers to this question... "yes", "no" and "I can't answer that at present".

I honestly don't think that withholding this information has any bearing on anything. The competition don't care either way... I doubt the buyers do either. There has been a mountain of info about the Cruze, which is supposed to be the next somewhat savior for GM, yet its available everywhere but here for the competition to study.

So that only leads me to one conclusion... Fritz is playing the role of puppet for the Obama agenda... I've tried to give the new GM the benefit of the doubt as far as government interference goes... but this is a decision that simply doesn't make business sense. Make 'em in Australia or here, whatever satisfies the balance sheet and the employment politics.

Anyway, if a cop pulled me over and asked me where I was going, and I answered "I don't like rebadges", I'd be sitting in the back of the cruiser.

The G8 is a nice car for sure- I sat in two of them yesterday, but on almost every forum I've read when someone bought a G8, at the end of the sentence is usually something along the lines of "i got a great deal on it....$XXXXX off MSRP". GM probably isn't making a profit on it so that's why they're cutting it. Of course, GM also said that Pontiac would not get a Cobalt rebadge back in 2005.

We see prices in the paper here of $23K for the V6 amd $27K for the V8 here. Then you can get more off by dealing. Then I can take my GM money off on top of that. If they were selling thaty good they would not be discounting them like a Hummer. Noite GM and the dealers are not offering rebates and discounts of much on the new CTS. not many if these on dealer lots here but many on the road.

There are many on the lots here many are still 08's at a real good price. Too bad I can't talk the wife into one to replace her car.

I really don't like the prez but I will not blaime him or his people for this answer. I think it all just comes down to GM right now don't need to bring in another car to sit on Chevy lots right now. Once car sales pick up I can see it coming back as an option.

If you can't get a great deal on something during the middle of a recession when sales for the entire car market is down over 40%, then there is something wrong. Even during good times most people don't pay MSRP for most vehicles, especially GM vehicles.

I really hate it when people don't answer the question. There are three acceptable, non-weasel answers to this question... "yes", "no" and "I can't answer that at present".

I honestly don't think that withholding this information has any bearing on anything. The competition don't care either way... I doubt the buyers do either. There has been a mountain of info about the Cruze, which is supposed to be the next somewhat savior for GM, yet its available everywhere but here for the competition to study.

So that only leads me to one conclusion... Fritz is playing the role of puppet for the Obama agenda... I've tried to give the new GM the benefit of the doubt as far as government interference goes... but this is a decision that simply doesn't make business sense. Make 'em in Australia or here, whatever satisfies the balance sheet and the employment politics.

Anyway, if a cop pulled me over and asked me where I was going, and I answered "I don't like rebadges", I'd be sitting in the back of the cruiser.

You would be on the way to a padded cell if that was your answer to "where are you going".

This was an acceptable answer given the question.

Will the architecture underpinning the G8 have a place in a future General Motors branded sedan for North America?

I would hope any car built on that platform would be uniquely its own and nothing less so I agree with Fritz, not a fan of rebadges.

I'm not jumping to conclusions on this being a definitive answer by any means. If so, then the point already made sets a clear irony, that GMs trucks aren't any more Chevrolet products than they are GMC, and vice-versa... so what'll it be? Could we see a different nameplate with slightly different front and rear fascia by any other name? I ask because his answer isn't clear enough on the subject.

There is a more significant profit in truck sales for GM than car sales and while the typical Pontiac customer would not consider a Chevrolet, nor would the typical GMC customer.

That is my best guess.

I think that even with the new management and ceo's GM is going to go down the same road of failure all over again.

We see prices in the paper here of $23K for the V6 amd $27K for the V8 here. Then you can get more off by dealing. Then I can take my GM money off on top of that. If they were selling thaty good they would not be discounting them like a Hummer. Noite GM and the dealers are not offering rebates and discounts of much on the new CTS. not many if these on dealer lots here but many on the road.

There are many on the lots here many are still 08's at a real good price. Too bad I can't talk the wife into one to replace her car.

I really don't like the prez but I will not blaime him or his people for this answer. I think it all just comes down to GM right now don't need to bring in another car to sit on Chevy lots right now. Once car sales pick up I can see it coming back as an option.

i am agreeing with a lot of what you say, but keep in mind that chargers sell for much cheaper than the g8 even. so GM is not giving the g8 away, its still a bit pricey. especially in loaded GT and GXP trims.

GM will bring this car back as a chevy. Cops and taxis alone would fuel 40k a year sales, while a new unique design is created for 2012/13.

Holden is making big investments in keeping their zeta version viable for the next 5 years. There is NO WAY GM NA is not involved in amortizing all this development cost.

i am agreeing with a lot of what you say, but keep in mind that chargers sell for much cheaper than the g8 even. so GM is not giving the g8 away, its still a bit pricey. especially in loaded GT and GXP trims.

GM will bring this car back as a chevy. Cops and taxis alone would fuel 40k a year sales, while a new unique design is created for 2012/13.

Holden is making big investments in keeping their zeta version viable for the next 5 years. There is NO WAY GM NA is not involved in amortizing all this development cost.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room