Toyota launches new vehicle 'Belta' in Japan

Variance

Toyota Motor Corporation announced today the nationwide launch in Japan of the new compact sedan, Belta, through "Toyopet" ("Osaka Toyota" in the Osaka area) and "Toyota Corolla" dealers.

The new Belta, which means "beauty" or "beautiful person" in Italian, was designed to be a compact and stylish sedan, incorporating all of the appeal of a compact sedan into a vehicle with sophistication and beautiful styling to create beauty in the day-to-day lives of customers.

Featuring one of the smallest minimum turning radiuses and one of the best fuel efficiency performances in its class, the new Belta also boasts a comfortable and roomy cabin and a large cargo space. In addition, the Belta possesses the supple and stable driving feel that only a sedan can provide, as well as a wide range of advanced equipment and class-leading safety and environmental performance. With a sophisticated feel that enables drivers to enjoy the fun and satisfaction of driving, the new Belta, Toyota's smallest sedan, is further characterized by beautiful styling and the ability to meet the needs of a broad range of customers, including those who prefer compact hatchbacks and similarly sized vehicles.

Monthly sales targets 3,000 units

Dealer launch events December 3 and 4, 2005

Assembly Plant: Iwate Plant, Kanto Auto Works, Ltd.

Vehicle Outline

Sophisticated Styling Pursues Simplicity and Functional Beauty

Based on the Toyota-brand design philosophy "Vibrant Clarity," striking proportions—created by the spacious cabin characteristics of a sedan, a curved beltline and a long wheelbase—evoke a sense of vivaciousness.
Combinations of contoured surfaces create beautiful nuances to express a sense of class-breaching sophistication and presence.
A V-shaped form that integrates the bumper creates a front view with a sporty and open feel.

An extended cabin, restrained height and long wheelbase create a side view with a flow characteristic of a sedan.
The three-dimensional shape of the rear combination lamps conveys a sense of vitality, while the wide, lower bumper form expresses stability.
Superior Package and Numerous Luxury Items Create Comfort and Amenity

A superior package combines the appeal of both a compact car and a sedan to provide class-leading backseat legroom and cargo space. In addition, the car boasts a minimum turning radius of 4.6 meters, the best in its class (when fitted with 165/70R14 tires). The comfortable legroom (the distance between the front and rear seats is 905 millimeters) is equivalent to that of a sedan one class higher and is combined with an expansive, 475-liter (on front-wheel-drive models) cargo space.

The center cluster has a vertical format, expressing an advanced and sophisticated feel, while the central instrument panel and gate-type shifter take into consideration both visibility and ease of use. The center cluster also features a silver-like finish, and has a vertical liquid crystal display and a geometric heater control unit, conveying a progressive feel, while the placement and form of the easy-to-use switches enhance convenience.
The seats are formed from simple and gentle curves to provide comfortable seating with a good fit.

Numerous, highly functional storage spaces, including a wide console box with a lid (doubling as an armrest), serve to enhance the sense of luxury and utility.
The Smart Entry & Start System employs a Smart Key to lock and unlock the doors and a button to start the engine—all one needs is to have the vehicle key on one's person.

An automatic air-conditioner with a pollen-removal mode filters out pollen, dust and other impurities from the air around the driver.
A new air-cleaning technology, called Plasmacluster Ions®, which releases a balanced ratio of positive and negative ions into the cabin, prevents the propagation of airborne germs, mold and bacteria, and eases the occupants' stress.

Superior Cruising Performance Achieves Comfortable, Flexible Driving
Super CVT-i (Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent) achieves comfortable driving and smooth acceleration. The VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) engine combines excellent driving performance with class-leading fuel efficiency of 22.0km/l (1.0-liter engine) or 19.6km/l (1.3-liter engine with two-wheel-drive) under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle, as certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Newly developed brakes provide excellent braking performance and a comfortable and responsive braking feel.
A new suspension design enables brisk maneuvering and stable cruising, as well as a comfortable ride. Body rigidity has been increased and vibration-controlling, sound-absorbing and sound-blocking materials optimally installed in various parts of the body ensure a quiet cabin space.

Class-leading Safety and Environmental Performance

The GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment) construction has been further evolved to create a body structure that effectively absorbs collision impact. During collision tests, the speed was increased to 55km/h from the previous 50km/h, with collision energy also increased approximately 20%, and the vehicle was subjected to omni-directional, vehicle-to-vehicle collision tests under stricter-than-normal collision standards. Through the use of a body structure that effectively absorbs collision impact, Toyota satisfied all independent targets for survival space and crash dummy injury.

The pedestrian-injury-lessening body structure has been evolved to further reduce pedestrian head injuries, pursuing a class-top level of protection.
In the pursuit of class-leading safety performance, the front-seat structures are based on the WIL (Whiplash Injury Lessening) concept, providing stronger seat frames and possessing greater backrest give, and were designed based on analyses using THUMS (Total Human Model for Safety), incorporating structural design that reduces stress on the neck during low-speed impacts from the rear.
All front-wheel-drive vehicles in the series achieve emission levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport's Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles, and boast fuel efficiency that exceeds by 5% the level called for by the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards, thus qualifying for incentives under the Japanese government’s Green Taxation System.

Eco-VAS (Eco-Vehicle Assessment System)—Toyota's original comprehensive environmental impact assessment system—was implemented to achieve, as efficiently as possible, the overall reduction of environmental impact, from initial development to disposal, throughout the vehicle's entire lifecycle. LCA (Life-cycle Assessment) was also carried out, aiming to reduce CO2 and other atmospheric pollutants, not just during the use stage, but also during the vehicle's entire lifecycle, from manufacture through to disposal.
A review of the materials, processing methods and adhesives used for interior parts resulted in a reduction in the amount of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) used, and, thus, a reduction in the discomforting odors emitted from such compounds.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Link: http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=1277

Wow, sexy! :puke: And yet still much better than our Echo.

Wow... a modern Echo in styling. :blink: Yeah... it does look bug eyed and the hood line location is terrible just as it is on the... Yaris? Vitz? Whatever-its-called... Not to mention that it looks terrible overall. Cars that small never look good when they are trying to be big. The interior is alright other than the gauge placement and the funky climate controls.

In response to CSpec's post: Yes. You're right about it being a Yaris sedan. We probably would've gotten this as an echo replacement if it didn't totally bomb. The Yaris is the hatchback...ahem...5-door sedan version and will be toyota's second attempt in the U.S. sub-compact market. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Mazda 3 meets Prius. Wow, that thing is ugly. Inside and out. And Belta? Prinz knows better than I do, but I took Italian in middle school and "Bella" was always the word. Belta sounds like someone releasing some gas after having a few beers. "I'm gonna belt a Toyota." *BUUUUUURRP!*

What is it with automakers placing the gauge cluster in the middle of the dash? How unergonomic can you get? Do they not want old people will buy this car? I'm sure an elderly person doesn't want to be craning his or her neck over to check their speed, especially if they have bad eyesight. So stupid...

What is it with automakers placing the gauge cluster in the middle of the dash?  How unergonomic can you get?  Do they not want old people will buy this car?  I'm sure an elderly person doesn't want to be craning his or her neck over to check their speed, especially if they have bad eyesight.  So stupid...

[post="51012"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe the theory is that with the gauges placed in the center, you don't have to move your eyes from the road to view them. That and it think it makes it that much easier to convert the interior between LHD and RHD configurations.

... and it think it makes it that much easier to convert the interior between LHD and RHD configurations.

[post="51017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's the REAL reason.

The Japanese makes never seem to have a keen grasp on any language.

My "super sound system" on with my eighty-four Datsun is to be liked very much for qualities that superior are. It is great car transportation in new and classical art and beuty sense of style and very great skills in gas of saving. The independant suspension rear and bottom is very good to be admired and not just for cornering but corner in to be driven. :P

I believe the theory is that with the gauges placed in the center, you don't have to move your eyes from the road to view them. That and it think it makes it that much easier to convert the interior between LHD and RHD configurations.

[post="51017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But that still doesn't make sense. When I'm sitting in my car facing forward, the speedo is right below my line of sight. Moving it over to the center would mean that I would have to look toward the center stack, in which case my line of sight will be toward the edge of the road. Unless the increased distance between you and the gauges means that you tilt your head down less, I don't see how placing them in the center is any more ergonomic than simply having them right in front of you. Personally, I would find it more distracting.

I'm betting the easier conversion is the main reason they do it.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but Belta does ot mean beautiful in Italian. The correct word is "Bella" and please inform me otherwise as I have spoken Italian(well) Siscilian for the last 42 years and have used the term Bella.

[post="50760"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gee, sorry dude, but Sicilian is not Standard Italian. There is some debate over whether it is even Italic or closer to Sardinian and Corsican. "Most Italians use varieties along a continuum from standard to regional to local according to what is appropriate. Possibly nearly half the population do not use Standard Italian as first language. Only 2.5% of Italy's population could speak standard Italian when it became a unified nation in 1861." The word Toyota is referring to is beltà, which does mean "beauty" in standard Italian. The more common word is bellezza, I'm not sure which form is used in what context, both are feminine nouns. The Japanese adaptation chosen by Toyota is transliterated "Be-ru-ta". "Be-re-za" for bellezza would have worked much better, and been close to the more sonorous Be-re-sa, but require a more expensive badge.

Among the languages spoken by "native" Italians are:

Attic Greek
Arbëreshë Albanian (Calabria, Apulia, Basilicata, Molise, Sicily)
Romani (Indo-Aryan "Gypsy")
Vlax
Balkan
Sinte
Upper German
Barvarian
Cimbrian
Mócheno
Walser
Middle German
Standard German
Southern Slavic
Croatian
Slovenian
Gallo-Iberian
Ibero-Romance
East Iberian
Catalan (Sardinia)
Oc (Camaro is probably from an Oc language rather than standard French)
Provençal
Gallo-Romance
Gallo-Italian (In what was after all Cisalpine Gaul)
Emiliano-Romagnolo
Ligurian
Lombard
Piemontese
Venetian
Gallo-Rhaetian
Franco-Provençal
French
Friulian
Ladin
Italo-Dalmatian
Standard Italian
Judeo-Italian
Napoletano-Calabrese
Sicilian
Southern Romance
Corsican
Campidanese Sardinian
Gallurese Sardinian
Logudorese Sardinian
Sassarese Sardinian Edited by thegriffon

It's solely because it's CHEAP. Same reason they didn't bother hiring a designer. Posted Image

[post="51046"][/post]

It's an issue of focal length, not line of sight, and somewhat questionable.

The Belta is the replacement for Echo sedan (Platz in Japan), but may not be sold in the US (at least as a Toyota).

P1 A Vitz/Yaris/Echo >> P9 A Vitz/Yaris
P1 B Platz/Echo >> P9 B Belta/Auris

I searched a few translators and my high school Italian books and notes (three years, baby), and never found any mention of "belta," or anything like it. Bellezza does sound familiar, but according to my Italian teacher (born and raised in Italy, can't remember what part), the word is "bella."

Results for 'belta'

Italian to English

belta = No matches found

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/ita.html

[post="51122"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I searched a few translators and my high school Italian books and notes (three years, baby), and never found any mention of "belta," or anything like it. Bellezza does sound familiar, but according to my Italian teacher (born and raised in Italy, can't remember what part), the word is "bella."

[post="51359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay... "belta`" does not translate to "beauty" that is bellezza.

Secondly, "belta`" is a word, you MUST put the accent mark.

Thirdly, Sicilian is WAY different than Italian--so different it's considered another language.

I'll have to look up belta` in my dictionary (the one I bought in Rome--not an Italian/English dictionary, but an actual dictionary which defines things) and get back to you.

Okay, so beltà means something along the lines of a beauty that gives someone pleasure. Something like that... it's one of those fun little Italian things where they have a word and a verb tense for LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Look it up in google and you can even see it being used. "beltà" is recognised by every translator and dictionary I've tried, usually as "beauty", although one says "it will take pleasure", which is just too long (an entire sentence in English). In Italian: Headword beltà Word division/ Pronunciation [bel-tà] Etymology From provenz. beltat, That is from Vulg. Lat. * bellita¯te(m) Definition ant. beltade [bel-tà-de], beltate, biltà, s. f. (lett.) 1 bellezza 2 donna molto bella: Cara beltà che amore / lunge m'inspiri (LEOPARDI Alla sua donna 1-2) 3 cosa bella.

Gee, sorry dude, but Sicilian is not Standard Italian. There is some debate over whether it is even Italic or closer to Sardinian and Corsican. "Most Italians use varieties along a continuum from standard to regional to local according to what is appropriate. Possibly nearly half the population do not use Standard Italian as first language. Only 2.5% of Italy's population could speak standard Italian when it became a unified nation in 1861." The word Toyota is referring to is beltà, which does mean "beauty" in standard Italian. The more common word is bellezza, I'm not sure which form is used in what context, both are feminine nouns. The Japanese adaptation chosen by Toyota is transliterated "Be-ru-ta". "Be-re-za" for bellezza would have worked much better, and been close to the more sonorous Be-re-sa, but require a more expensive badge.

Among the languages spoken by "native" Italians are:

Attic Greek
Arbëreshë Albanian (Calabria, Apulia, Basilicata, Molise, Sicily)
Romani (Indo-Aryan "Gypsy")
Vlax
Balkan
Sinte
Upper German
Barvarian
Cimbrian
Mócheno
Walser
Middle German
Standard German
Southern Slavic
Croatian
Slovenian
Gallo-Iberian
Ibero-Romance
East Iberian
Catalan (Sardinia)
Oc (Camaro is probably from an Oc language rather than standard French)
Provençal
Gallo-Romance
Gallo-Italian (In what was after all Cisalpine Gaul)
Emiliano-Romagnolo
Ligurian
Lombard
Piemontese
Venetian
Gallo-Rhaetian
Franco-Provençal
French
Friulian
Ladin
Italo-Dalmatian
Standard Italian
Judeo-Italian
Napoletano-Calabrese
Sicilian
Southern Romance
Corsican
Campidanese Sardinian
Gallurese Sardinian
Logudorese Sardinian
Sassarese Sardinian

[post="51071"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I hang around a lot of northern Italians and have taken 3 years of italian in college and never have anyone used the term belta. The term always used in our conversations was and is alway bella or bellissima, never belta. It is one thing to look it up in some dictionary and another when the term is used in normal everyday conversation. Most of my parent's friends have come over from Italy and not one have EVER used the term belta, so lets not just differ to a dictionary.

Okay... "belta`" does not translate to "beauty"  that is bellezza.

Secondly, "belta`" is a word, you MUST put the accent mark.

Thirdly, Sicilian is WAY different than Italian--so different it's considered another language.

I'll have to look up belta` in my dictionary (the one I bought in Rome--not an Italian/English dictionary, but an actual dictionary which defines things) and get back to you.

[post="51363"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know most Italians don't even consider Sicilians as part of Italy, I have seen the arrogant attitudes of some Italians towards Sicilians. Hell I sometimes see it in my parents. My dad was born in Palermo, Sicily and my mother was from Calabria, Italy and occasionally the rivalries come out between the too cultures. Edited by prinzSD

Look it up in google and you can even see it being used. "beltà" is recognised by every translator and dictionary I've tried, usually as "beauty", although one says "it will take pleasure", which is just too long (an entire sentence in English).

In Italian:

Headword beltà
Word division/
Pronunciation  [bel-tà]
Etymology  From provenz. beltat, That is from Vulg. Lat. * bellita¯te(m)
Definition  ant. beltade [bel-tà-de], beltate, biltà, s. f. (lett.)
1 bellezza
2 donna molto bella: Cara beltà che amore / lunge m'inspiri (LEOPARDI Alla sua donna 1-2)
3 cosa bella.

[post="51463"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thegriffin,

Having spoken and studied Italian for MANY years, it is very common for 1 word in one language to mean an entire phrase in Italian or vice-versa. For example, the word "piacere". We say it means to "like" something. It doesn't translate like that. It's literal translation is "to be pleasing to". When one says, "Mi piace..." we tell kids it means "I like." In reality, if you look at the structure of it, it's the third-person singular form of the verb... and "mi" means "to me". The whole phrase means "It is pleasing to me."

Another example... a word that I've been trying to find a definition for in English.. the closest I can come to is "Chalkboard shelf" (the shelf that holds chalk, chalkboard erasers, etc.) In Italian, it is "cimosa", which is just one word.

And yet another example.... how many times a student will say to me, "Mr. Guastella? How does this mean "I am eating" if in Italian it is only 1 word?" In Italian, if you say "mangio", you are saying one of 3 things: "am I eating" if there's a question mark, "I am eating" or "I eat."

Languages to not translate word for word. Hence why many online translators do not work correctly.

According to your second definition, "2 donna molto bella: Cara beltà che amore / lunge m'inspiri (LEOPARDI Alla sua donna 1-2)", it refers to a woman ("dear beauty that I love), who is very beautiful and then quotes lines from works of Giacomo Leopardi (an Italian author from the time period that I can't think of the name of! lol (1800's in Italy)), so therefore it is not unheard of the world belta` meaning a phrase to take or give pleasure. After all, I may be gay, but I am sure many will agree a woman can give a man pleasure ;)

Thegriffin,

Having spoken and studied Italian for MANY years, it is very common for 1 word in one language to mean an entire phrase in Italian or vice-versa.  For example, the word "piacere".  We say it means to "like" something.  It doesn't translate like that.  It's literal translation is "to be pleasing to".  When one says, "Mi piace..." we tell kids it means "I like."  In reality, if you look at the structure of it, it's the third-person singular form of the verb... and "mi" means "to me".  The whole phrase means "It is pleasing to me."

Another example... a word that I've been trying to find a definition for in English.. the closest I can come to is "Chalkboard shelf" (the shelf that holds chalk, chalkboard erasers, etc.)  In Italian, it is "cimosa", which is just one word.

And yet another example.... how many times a student will say to me, "Mr. Guastella?  How does this mean "I am eating" if in Italian it is only 1 word?"  In Italian, if you say "mangio", you are saying one of 3 things:  "am I eating" if there's a question mark, "I am eating" or "I eat."

Languages to not translate word for word.  Hence why many online translators do not work correctly.

According to your second definition, "2 donna molto bella: Cara beltà che amore / lunge m'inspiri (LEOPARDI Alla sua donna 1-2)", it refers to a woman ("dear beauty that I love), who is very beautiful and then quotes lines from works of Giacomo Leopardi (an Italian author from the time period that I can't think of the name of! lol (1800's in Italy)), so therefore it is not unheard of the world belta` meaning a phrase to take or give pleasure.  After all, I may be gay, but I am sure many will agree a woman can give a man pleasure ;)

[post="51829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Paolino,

Thank you for putting it in words I was unable too. You have added much clarification to the matter. Anyhow, back to the subject at hand. I think it will sell way better then the echo and dare I say, I kind of like it. It does not have as many weird proportions that the echo did.

Thegriffin,

Having spoken and studied Italian for MANY years, it is very common for 1 word in one language to mean an entire phrase in Italian or vice-versa.  For example, the word "piacere".  We say it means to "like" something.  It doesn't translate like that.  It's literal translation is "to be pleasing to".  When one says, "Mi piace..." we tell kids it means "I like."  In reality, if you look at the structure of it, it's the third-person singular form of the verb... and "mi" means "to me".  The whole phrase means "It is pleasing to me."

Another example... a word that I've been trying to find a definition for in English.. the closest I can come to is "Chalkboard shelf" (the shelf that holds chalk, chalkboard erasers, etc.)  In Italian, it is "cimosa", which is just one word.

And yet another example.... how many times a student will say to me, "Mr. Guastella?  How does this mean "I am eating" if in Italian it is only 1 word?"  In Italian, if you say "mangio", you are saying one of 3 things:  "am I eating" if there's a question mark, "I am eating" or "I eat."

Languages to not translate word for word.  Hence why many online translators do not work correctly.

According to your second definition, "2 donna molto bella: Cara beltà che amore / lunge m'inspiri (LEOPARDI Alla sua donna 1-2)", it refers to a woman ("dear beauty that I love), who is very beautiful and then quotes lines from works of Giacomo Leopardi (an Italian author from the time period that I can't think of the name of! lol (1800's in Italy)), so therefore it is not unheard of the world belta` meaning a phrase to take or give pleasure.  After all, I may be gay, but I am sure many will agree a woman can give a man pleasure ;)

[post="51829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is still a cumbersome translation - "something that gives pleasure" would have been better. The sense seems to match English "beauty" - a quality of being beautiful, that gives pleasure or is pleasing; that which possesses such a quality. BTW the dictionary I quoted from is the Garzanti online, from De Agostini Scuola Spa - Garzanti Linguistica. In addition to the quote from Leopardi I have seen it used in a italian-language website on beauty (in the same phrase "Cara Beltà"). Elsewhere on the site they always use "bellezza". For everypone else who insists they have only heard "bella" - "beautiful" does not mean "beauty". One is an adjective, the other a noun. Of course even in English we say "beautiful" far more often than "beauty".