Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Mahindra capitalizes on Detroit 3 dealer closings, picks up new outlets

22 posts in this topic

Filed under: Trucks/Pickups

mahindralogover_opt.jpgMany communities have felt the sting of closing dealerships, but it appears for some that capitalism Mahindra is coming to the rescue. The Indian truck manufacturer is sweeping in to sign up recently booted Chrysler dealers to sell their fuel efficient diesel pickups. Mahindra is hoping to soon have 300 dealers online and ready to sell the inexpensive trucks. Mahindra had earlier announced that it had over 300 dealers signed up to sell the truck, but the difficult economy and a lack of available credit likely prevented many from having a dealership online in time for the truck's fall introduction. The experienced, ready-for-business Chrysler dealerships are like a gift placed in the lap of the Indian truck maker.

In the Detroit area, the Detroit Free Press is reporting that two former Chrysler dealers will begin selling the truck this fall. The Mahindra truck will exclusively contain 2.2-liter diesel powertrains mated to six speed transmissions. The trucks should easily be able to hit 30 mpg on the highway, while also giving owners the ability to carry a 1.3-ton payload. The Mahindra truck will also cost 10-15% less than comparable Japanese offerings.

The Free Press also reported that Mahindra is planning a diesel-powered SUV for mid-2010. The SUV will reportedly have a price tag in the $13-15k range.

[source: Free Press]

REPORT: Mahindra capitalizes on Detroit 3 dealer closings, picks up new outlets originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Loc7YbBFX1o:ijbBbID76SI:wF9xT autoblog?i=Loc7YbBFX1o:ijbBbID76SI:V_sGL
Loc7YbBFX1o

View the full article

mahindralogover_opt.jpg

I wonder if they are looking closely at ex-Oldsmobile dealerships... they got the logo pretty close.

Mahindra... its your father's Oldsmobile. In India.

It also might just be what kills the Big 3. People who need trucks are still going to need them. Contractors, farmers, and so on may want a new Silverado, Ram or F-350 but cash flow may dictate something smaller and when they look at the pathetic offerings of the Big 3, then see the Mahindra is less expensive and getting better fuel economy while having the hauling ability of a small diesel, they may have a tough choice to make.

I wonder if it's passed the US crash standards. If they are able to get sufficient volume, I could see this potentially cutting into sales of the ancient Ranger and the Colorado/Canyon. Mahindra has been in the US for a while with tractors, don't know how well they sell, but I've seen their ads on TV.

>>"Contractors, farmers, and so on may want a new Silverado, Ram or F-350 but cash flow may dictate something smaller and when they look at the pathetic offerings of the Big 3, then see the Mahindra is less expensive and getting better fuel economy while having the hauling ability of a small diesel, they may have a tough choice to make. "<<

Much like buying cheap, unproven, tools- investing in what you KNOW works MAKES you money, not costs it.

No one who uses their truck professionally is going to switch over to an indian truck that makes the Ranger look current.

'Poser' truck buyers- retirees, parts chasers, etc, maybe, but I still see value trumping lowball pricing in this economy.

$16,000 for a Mahindra vs $32,000 for the least expensive diesel F-250 will make people think twice. How does it not make sense for a guy running a small farm? Or an exterminator?

Then again, you're the same guy who insists Hyundais are no better than they were 20 years ago, therefore their sales increases are an aberration.

$16,000 for a Mahindra vs $32,000 for the least expensive diesel F-250 will make people think twice. How does it not make sense for a guy running a small farm? Or an exterminator?

Then again, you're the same guy who insists Hyundais are no better than they were 20 years ago, therefore their sales increases are an aberration.

I still think not putting baby Duramax in the 1500's and not bringing the 2.2L 4 cylinder and 2.9 V6 from Europe is a mistake.

GM and Ford cannot afford a small opening in this market. It will be 1960's all over again when opening pushed in Japanese cars. They should go full swing and put down Mahindra before it is too late. But more than Ford and GM it is Toyota who should be worried about as it literally owns the small truck market.

Why is the only alternative to this a HD diesel truck ?? 5.3 Silverado is getting 25-26 MPG on the highway, besides, have you seen the deals on F/S trucks these days ??

It doesn't make sense because it's too much of an unproven unknown. Why risk tight money to save a few tho up front ? ANd how many farmers are there in Detroit, or exterminators for that matter?

It's only the perception of hyundai being junk that I subscribe to, no different than those who still subscribe to the perception that GM builds junk, only they've got a decades longer headstart over me...

I was making the point that if a buyer wants a diesel, they have to pony up a lot of dough, this gives them a less expensive option. That sounds a lot like the route Hyundai took when it started out in the U.S. Same thing with Kia. Oh, and Toyota and Nissan and Honda. All of those companies failed in the U.S., right? None of them sell here anymore, correct? Because coming into the U.S. and undercutting American companies was a failed strategy for every one of those Asian companies, right?

This ancient-looking little truck looks like a bucket of bolts... but it is perversely intriguing. It would be like being able to buy a brand-new 1971 Datsun Li'l Hustler, with the extra benefit of having a clattering smoke maker under the hood.

GM offered a 1.9L Isuzu diesel engine in the S-10 for '82, I believe, and it lasted one year, likely due to a poor take rate.

I'd love to see one of GM's refined new diesels become available in the GMT355. Troy Clarke said The New GM will take more risks... how about taking this one, Mr. Clarke? Maybe you'll have better luck than you did in '82... if it is priced right as an option.

Edited by ocnblu

GM offered a 1.9L Isuzu diesel engine in the S-10 for '82, I believe, and it lasted one year, likely due to a poor take rate.

GM also offered a diesel in the last of the Chevy LUV pickups, around 1981, IIRC.

Agreed on the diesel Colorado/Canyon. GM should offer diesels in all of their trucks and SUVs..would be a much more effective way to raise their CAFE than the Hybrids they have tried.

Rob

This ancient-looking little truck looks like a bucket of bolts... but it is perversely intriguing. It would be like being able to buy a brand-new 1971 Datsun Li'l Hustler, with the extra benefit of having a clattering smoke maker under the hood.

I'd love to see one of GM's refined new diesels become available in the GMT355. Troy Clarke said The New GM will take more risks... how about taking this one, Mr. Clarke? Maybe you'll have better luck than you did in '82... if it is priced right as an option.

I think that's why I like it, it looks like one of those ancient jeep pickups, you remember the ones when you were a teenager ... :neenerneener:

I am against hybrids of any stripe, but hybrid/big vehicle = waste of technology, imo.

EDIT: PCS, I knew you were still in love with me.

Edited by ocnblu

I am against hybrids of any stripe, but hybrid/big vehicle = waste of technology, imo.

EDIT: PCS, I knew you were still in love with me.

Who are you, and where has your hand been? :neenerneener:

I was making the point that if a buyer wants a diesel, they have to pony up a lot of dough, this gives them a less expensive option.

Granted- I see your point. However, I don't see a lot of buyers placing diesel over gas as a primary criteria, but I could be wrong.

In other words, if I could get a larger, more capable, much more refined & better-equipped truck with proven longevity & reliability, I would never chose a small, ancient, unproven 3rd world product just because it's a diesel.

I'd be much more concerned with cargo & towing capacity, stowability, room, reliability, build quality & value before MPG.

There will be those who'll buy it, of course; it's foreign- and that will always reel a number in regardless of the product.

Mahindra 4dr truck payload rating 2,633lb.

Tacoma V6 4WD payload rating 1,350lb.

Colorado I5 4WD payload rating 1,519lb.

Silverado 4.8 V8 4WD payload rating 1,980.

Just taking numbers straight off the websites.

Right, but which would you trust with -say- 3000 lbs?

Chevy & Ford grossly underrate their truck's capacities.

Isn't there a huge tariff on imported pickups, which would make this prohibitively expensive?

Well when the assembly line workers are happy to make 20 cents a day, maybe the tariff will be like 80% of the MSRP and it will still undercut the 21st century trucks.

The tariff is 25% but eventually Mahindra plans to ship the trucks to the U.S. to be assembled to avoid the tariff.

This would be a perfect new truck for me because it's a diesel, and it'll easily haul around all the materials I use for maintaining apartments. Not only that, but it's also smaller, and parking my Sierra is a pain in the ass in the city.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room