Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: GM Decides It Doesn't Want Vibe To Be Last Pontiac [Carpocalypse]

29 posts in this topic

2009_Pontiac_Vibe.jpgMaybe the irony of Toyota building the last Pontiac at NUMMI was just too much for GM, but the decision has been made to end production on the Vibe early at the end of August.

Just one year and seven months after its official debut, the Pontiac Vibe has been put on the chopping blocks, dead after a very short life. Previously the Vibe was to be the only car available to the public in the 2010 model year, now the only product seems to be the 2010 model year G6 for sale to fleets only. So if you want a Pontiac, you better get one this year.

General Motors Statement Regarding Discontinuation of
Pontiac Vibe
Production at NUMMI Facility

As part of its long-term viability plan and recent decision to phase out the Pontiac brand, General Motors has decided to discontinue production of the Pontiac Vibe by the end of August 2009. The Vibe is produced at the New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated (NUMMI) facility jointly operated by GM and Toyota in Fremont, California. While no replacement for Vibe production has been determined, GM and Toyota remain in active discussions regarding potential future production at NUMMI.

[source: GM]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=AoLG0nTfXlc:K7WFMvzh_6I:D7DqB2pKE full?i=AoLG0nTfXlc:K7WFMvzh_6I:V_sGLiPBp
AoLG0nTfXlc

View the full article

Has GM established the last official day for Pontiac yet???

Good grief, that is hideous.

Finally, someone with a heart at GM makes a decent decision.

Any chance we can compound on that, and hold back some G8s so that'll be the last Pontiacs sold ??

Pontiac did this in '78: they held back a quantity of W-72 400 V-8s, so they could be installed in '79 Firebirds - extending the reign of the Pontiac V-8 one more year (yes; I'm ignoring the 301, and with good reason).

Edited by balthazar

G8 should be the last Pontiac because it's the best damn Pontiac in perhaps ever (certainly in decades), is the only car Pontiac has that embodies everything it should and could have been, and one of the best cars GM offers for sale today.

Not so much that they are in a hurry to shut down the Vibe, but more like in a hurry to shut down Pontiac ...

G8 should be the last Pontiac because it's the best damn Pontiac in perhaps ever (certainly in decades), is the only car Pontiac has that embodies everything it should and could have been, and one of the best cars GM offers for sale today.

+1

I would even choose the G8 over the CTS. It's a shame there will never be a G8 coupe.

The G6 shouldn't be the last Pontiac simply because the G6 blows hard, but I guess they need to get something for that "redesign" they gave it.

The G6 shouldn't be the last Pontiac simply because the G6 blows hard, but I guess they need to get something for that "redesign" they gave it.

What was it again? A slightly revamped front fascia ... :scratchchin:

What was it again? A slightly revamped front fascia ... :scratchchin:

I'm pretty sure they just gave it dimples, but it was apparently enough to warrant having several threads about it on C&G.

+1

I would even choose the G8 over the CTS. It's a shame there will never be a G8 coupe.

+1

you know it's a shame GM had several hit products spread over 4 brands. vue, vibe, g6 [i know, debatable, but still good retail volume, ~60k/year], H3. really gm should have gotten rid of saab and hummer long ago. saturn and pontiac are the least problematic and most proliferated volume wise. there's gonna be volume someone's gonna get with the loss of pontiac.

i also like the aesthetic of G8 over CTS. CTS is nice, but it's flash is starting to get tiring and boring.

Edited by turbo200

+1

You're telling me, I had a sig I made of the Coupe 60 Concept. Awesome car.

you know it's a shame GM had several hit products spread over 4 brands. vue, vibe, g6 [i know, debatable, but still good retail volume, ~60k/year], H3. really gm should have gotten rid of saab and hummer long ago. saturn and pontiac are the least problematic and most proliferated volume wise. there's gonna be volume someone's gonna get with the loss of pontiac.

i also like the aesthetic of G8 over CTS. CTS is nice, but it's flash is starting to get tiring and boring.

We agree!

I agree also. The CTS seems to also be losing it's steam in the marketplace too. The G8 design will stand up over time better than the CTS design has.

I just got my loyalty deal from GM and the G8 will get me $2,500 off and the CTS was only $1,000 so in GM's eyes they need to unload more G8's. I have a better selection of unsld G8's here than CTS.

Here is the problem. Do they make the G8 with a V8 built in Oz be the last Pontiac or do we do let the Solstice GXP coupe and very special Pontiac be the last built in America.

On that note I would cast my vote for the Solstice.

Was milling around the Pontiac dealer today, waiting on the service dept. They have a bright red G8 GXP inside,

it's real nice but it doesn't blow my socks off. Somethin's missing inside & out, design-wise, that lil bit of moxie,

of Pontiac moxie... just doesn't grab me for some reason. All nice, but nothing over the top. Semi-generic. I hope

it wasn't that "4% North American Content" ingredient that did it.

From pics, the CTS does way more for me. Much more unique in & out.

Was also walking around outside- they had an '08 civic next to a G6. These 2 are surprising close in size. Frankly, I see little difference in appearance of fit-n-finish, but the G6 is nicely swoopy. I certainly like the '09 interior design better than the civic's. Not seeing the source of the consistant bashfest on the G6 as it sits.

Neither am I Balthazar. I was thinking of a nice used G6 convertible for a family convertible....and several people here thought I was crazy.

And with you on the civic Dashboard. My wife thinks the Civic interior is one of the dumbest new car designs around...

Chris

I actually think the Vibe is pretty decent looking, but maybe that's just because I like hatchbacks. Its certainly much better than the awful Matrix. I wonder what GM will have come out of that plant now? Or even which brand?

My question is, if you could get a base 2009 Vibe + A/C for $9200, would you do it? I have until the end of the month to use ALL of my GM card points at once on one car as long as it is a Pontiac or Saturn. I have $4600 in GM card points because I've had the the damn thing for years without ever using it because it isn't compatible w/ GMS. Let's assume you could get one of the following:

2009 G3 ~ $7300 ($14,995 sticker)

2009 G5 ~ $8300 ($17,285 sticker)

2009 Vibe ~ $9200 ($17,685 sticker)

All are equipped with a manual trans and A/C if its not standard (Vibe). My gut says G5 but it is a coupe and I have a 2 year old. I also think the Vibe would have the best resale.

Here's the rub. I sold my '07 Saturn Aura to pay cash for a car ($8500 limit). A week later I bought a very clean 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE w/ 60k miles for $6400. A week after I bought the Bonneville, I got the letter in the mail from GM saying I could use all my GM card points at once! :(:angry: That leaves me only 10 days to try and sell a car I bought only a few weeks ago if I want to take advantage of the deal. I should have listened to my wife. She told me I was in too big of a hurry to buy a car but I didn't listen. :(

For that coin the Vibe is a pretty good deal, its just not particularly attractive or quick.

I love the G8, and all it could have been.

But by right, the final spot should belong to Solstice.

Last produced and last sold are two different things. Frankly, I have a feeling the final "brand new" Pontiac sold will be a G3 sometime in 2011. Kinda like when Suzuki canned one of its cars (it was either the Impulse or Stylus) and the last one went unsold at a dealership for like 4 years. I vaguely remember an article about it in the paper when it happened. Seems the car was built in 1992 and sold in '96. I could see the G3 and G5 suffering the same fate.

I guess the "First ever G6" will also be the last.

It'll die unloved, which is better than it deserves.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0