Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: NHTSA introduces new tire labels

4 posts in this topic

Filed under: Government/Legal, Green, Safety

nhtsa_tire_ratings.jpg

You will soon have more ways to choose which tire is right for you: the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has proposed a new tire label that ranks rubber based on fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas rating, safety (wet traction), and durability. According to NHTSA's calculations, rolling resistance accounts for up to 7% of "uses and losses of fuel energy in a vehicle." With everyone paying close attention to gas mileage and gas prices now, the federal agency wants to give consumers more info on how to maximize a car's performance in that respect.

There are a variety of labels NHTSA has come up with to display a tire's ratings. When the final rule is implemented, the removable label will be located on the tire at the point-of-sale, and the ratings will also be available at the NHTSA website, www.safercar.gov. The agency is taking comments from consumers now, and needs to come up with a final rule by December of this year. You can read the press release after the jump. Thanks for the tip, Nick

[source: LA Times]

Continue reading NHTSA introduces new tire labels

NHTSA introduces new tire labels originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:49:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=1nFrbtt6Mqg:IirRKAa0l6I:wF9xT autoblog?i=1nFrbtt6Mqg:IirRKAa0l6I:V_sGL
1nFrbtt6Mqg

View the full article

What if I wanted to know about overall grip in dry conditions?

Awesome. The LRR tires on the Fusion S give it a 3 mpg edge over the Fusion SE.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0