Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Motor Authority: Spy shots: Cruze-based Buick compact sedan

23 posts in this topic

2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_spy_sh

General Motors is still more than a year away from launching the Chevrolet Cruze sedan in North America but instead of speeding up its arrival the automaker is working on a new Buick sedan based on the Cruze platform. Fears of GM’s cash problems haven’t managed to deter work on the upcoming Buick compact sedan, which like the Cruze will likely be offered as a global model.Built around GM’s FWD Delta II platform, the Buick compact sedan also shares much in common with the 2010 Opel Astra, which means there’s a chance it could be produced at Russelsheim plant in Germany.

2012 Cruze-based Buick sedan spy shots

2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_001-03 2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_002-03 2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_003-03 2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_004-03 2012_buick_delta_ii_compact_sedan_005-03

Read more

View the full article

Hopefully this is done right and doesn't become the 1982 Skyhawk reborn. I like the clear resemblance tot he Enclave in the front, and the small window on the front doors ahead of the mirror. I hope GM knows enough to keep the rear/sides/ and interior of the car as 'Buick" as the front end appears to be. A stick shift would be nice as well, as long as it is used to build a sense of driving excitement, as opposed to being used simply to lower the price of the automobile.

I wonder what the price range would be? I would think it has to be more expensive then the Cruize, but the Regal will also be joining the line up at a lower cost then the LaCrosse.

The Buick compact shares the same interior as the 2010 Astra, but unfortunately doesn't look nearly as upscale. Let's hope this is a mule interior is not reflective of the production interior. Surely Buick could do the same or better than Opel.

CompactBuickInterior.jpg

Buick Compact Interior Spy Shots from Motor Authority

AstraInterior.jpg

2010 Opel Astra

The Buick compact shares the same interior as the 2010 Astra, but unfortunately doesn't look nearly as upscale. Let's hope this is a mule interior is not reflective of the production interior. Surely Buick could do the same or better than Opel.

It's merely a mule's interior, so too early to tell anything about the interior's quality.

I think this is just the Astra sedan, which will perhaps make it to the US with minor changes as a Buick. Those A-pillars look just like the Astra's.

Edited by ZL-1

It's merely a mule's interior, so too early to tell anything about the interior's quality.

I think this is just the Astra sedan, which will perhaps make it to the US with minor changes as a Buick. Those A-pillars look just like the Astra's.

The more I look at the photos, the less it looks like a twin of the Cruize. Hopefully we get more pictures in the coming weeks that will verify the quality of materials and give away more hints to the tail of the car.

Here is a chop from China Car Forums that does a reasonable job of showing the production possibilities. The heads are very close, but the grill looks different from the HRV we've seen. The waterfall on it goes up and over the hood. The rear quarter window looks more Impala in the chop and less like the mule. The tail on this one looks very LaCrosse, as does the overall interior elements from what we see. So it is a good guess. Appears to be comparing the shape to the existing Excelle. If I had done the chop, I would have put the ventiports on the hood, but they will more likely be a small port at the crease, behind the front wheel well, like we have seen on some 2010 Astra pics.

BuickCompact.jpg

It looks more like an Astra sedan than a Cruze rebadge...

Bingo! You are right. As we can now see, Opel Astra = Buick Compact. The news outlets have been telling us for some time now that Buick is getting the Opels, and now the details proving it are coming together with newer images.

CompactBuickInterior.jpg

Buick Compact Interior Spy Shots from Motor Authority

AstraInterior.jpg

2010 Opel Astra

What the mule is missing is the metal trim, finish and photography. Otherwise to me both interiors are exactly the same.

What the mule is missing is the metal trim, finish and photography. Otherwise to me both interiors are exactly the same.

Yup, the metal trims, the shiny buttons, quality surfaces and ambient light really make a difference. These cars are the same, even down to the side rear views. There appears to be a material that looks like dark wood or perhaps carbon on the door handles and on either side of the center stack of the Astra. Nice touch. The Buick doesn't have the NAV screen, so it may be a lower end model as well. I hope the trim would be the same regardless, but just a guess.

Edited by InvictaMan

BuickCompact.jpg

Having looked at the latest spy shots from Germany, that rear quarter window may not be out of line. The new shots show definite body-colored camo over the bottom, masking the shape. The HRV/Astra hatch window looks more like they represent in the Buick sedan spy pics, but variation between door offerings is not unheard of. Buick, please make NA sedan, coupe and hatch on this one and get it right this time... call it Invicta!

Edited by InvictaMan

I'm all about a Buick compact. Times have changed and Buick has to also. As much as I love a boulevard cruiser, I do miss the appeal of having a little car to scoot around in when running errands and trying to get into small spaces, maneuver through parking lots, etc. Since I only plan on owning one car right now and the near future, I wouldn't want to sacrifice premium features and quality.

I'm all about a Buick compact. Times have changed and Buick has to also. As much as I love a boulevard cruiser, I do miss the appeal of having a little car to scoot around in when running errands and trying to get into small spaces, maneuver through parking lots, etc. Since I only plan on owning one car right now and the near future, I wouldn't want to sacrifice premium features and quality.

This.

04_09buickexcelle_opt.jpg

05_09buickexcelle.jpg

Are you sure it's not the Excelle?

Edited by Ghost Dog

I'm getting really tired of seeing the "Cruze-based Buick" headline. The only things the sedan in question shares with the Cruze is the Delta II platform (like no other car company spins off multiple vehicles from the same platform) and the fact that it is a sedan.

It's quite obvious that the sedan in question is a next gen Astra variant. I would love to see this sedan and the next gen Astra 5-door (and maybe the coupe-cabrio) in Buick's lineup in the very near future.

I think there are tons of baby-boomers and younger that feel the same way you do.

I would love to see this sedan and the next gen Astra 5-door (and maybe the coupe-cabrio) in Buick's lineup in the very near future.

Troy Clarke said to expect new vehicles from Buick that you would not expect. The hatch is certainly one of those possibilities. There was an Apollo hatch, I believe, so it's not unheard of for Buick. I'm more excited speculating about what other unexpected vehicles are coming.

Are you sure it's not the Excelle?

This vehicle will replace the Excelle in the Chinese market. Let's hope there is no carry over, including the name.

Here is a chop from China Car Forums that does a reasonable job of showing the production possibilities. The heads are very close, but the grill looks different from the HRV we've seen. The waterfall on it goes up and over the hood. The rear quarter window looks more Impala in the chop and less like the mule. The tail on this one looks very LaCrosse, as does the overall interior elements from what we see. So it is a good guess. Appears to be comparing the shape to the existing Excelle. If I had done the chop, I would have put the ventiports on the hood, but they will more likely be a small port at the crease, behind the front wheel well, like we have seen on some 2010 Astra pics.

BuickCompact.jpg

I saw this rendering a while back at the China Car Forums website. When I compare it to the camo covered car, it doesn't look that accurate to me. The 4 piece side window treatment (which doesn't exactly follow the shape of the side windows of the camo covered car) and lower hockey stick shaped crease on the side doors are the only 2 elements that I think are even remotely accurate (even the shape of the rear door doesn't look accurate). I think the headlights and taillights will be nearly identical to the Astra 5-door. A waterfall grille, trishield badge, and ventiports (hopefully) will be the only exterior elements that will identify this car as a Buick. Except for the Buick-esque elements that I just mentioned, I expect everything forward of the C-pillar to be identical to the Astra 5-door (which is certainly not a bad thing indeed). I still think they should sell the sedan and 5-door (marketed as a "sports tourer" perhaps?) in the U.S. as the Buick Centieme.

Edited by cire

Troy Clarke said to expect new vehicles from Buick that you would not expect. The hatch is certainly one of those possibilities. There was an Apollo hatch, I believe, so it's not unheard of for Buick. I'm more excited speculating about what other unexpected vehicles are coming.

I would love to see them add this as the Buick Vivace:

Link: Astra Roadster Revealed (Source: Auto Express)

I would love to see them add this as the Buick Invicta:

Link: Calibra Heads Vauxhall Plan (Source: Auto Express)

A flagship retractable hardtop coupe (coupe-cabrio) on the LWB Epsilon II platform would make a nice new Buick Riviera.

I would also like to see them develop a couple of tall wagons (or "cross tourers") on the LWB Delta II platform and the LWB Epsilon II platform to serve as sub-Enclave people movers for Buick. I think GM has enough Theta derivatives and these vehicles would give Buick something a little more unique. I went into a little more detail on these vehicles at GM Inside News:

What I would really like to see GM do to give Buick a couple of upscale people movers to slot below the Enclave is develop a couple of tall crossover wagons (or "cross tourers") similar to the Toyota Venza (in concept, definitely not styling) based on the LWB Delta II and LWB Epsilon II platforms. These "cross tourers" would be sleeker and more car-like than the corporation's Theta based CUVs. The emphasis with these "cross tourers" will be to offer ultimate comfort and style with a reasonable amount of utility above a conventional car as opposed to being able to stuff the maximum amount of humans and stuff in the cabin. Both of these vehicles would also sport "FlexDoors" (which would be a Buick exclusive) similar to those that appeared on the recent Meriva Concept. This would give Buick a couple of sub-Enclave people movers that are unique and distinct from what is available from GM's other North American brands.

* Buick Rendezvous: Buick would resurrect this model name for a "cross tourer" based on the LWB Delta II platform. This vehicle would be designed to comfortably carry 4 people and their stuff in a stylish and luxurious manner. The cabin would consist of 2 rows of individual chairs with a functional console running the length of the cabin. All 4 chairs will be have multiple adjustments (fore and aft, height, recline, etc.). This vehicle would share the Orlando's 108.6 inch wheelbase, but have different exterior dimensions: the Rendezvous would be about 180 inches long, 61 inches high, and 71 inches wide (the Orlando Concept was 176 inches long, 65 inches high, and 70 inches wide). The profile of this vehicle would be strongly influenced by the Opel Flextreme Concept, but it would have more Buick-esque front/rear styling.

* Buick Dimension: This "cross tourer" would be based on the LWB Epsilon II platform. This vehicle would be designed to comfortably carry 6 people and their stuff in a stylish and luxurious manner. The cabin would consist of 3 rows of individual chairs with a functional console running the length of the cabin. The chairs in the 1st 2 rows would be fully adjustable (fore and aft, height, recline, etc.). The chairs in the 3rd row would have all adjustments except fore and aft adjustments. This vehicle would share the same 111.7 inch wheelbase as the 2010 LaCrosse, but have different exterior dimensions; the Dimension would be 192 inches long, 63 inches high, and 74 inches wide.

These vehicles would join the Enclave, 2010 LaCrosse, Insignia based Regal sedan, and Astra based Centieme sedan and sports tourer (5-door) in Buick's North American lineup.

Basically, Buick's lineup would be this:

* Centieme: Compact sedan and sports tourer (5-door); SWB Delta II.

* Regal: Midsize sedan; SWB Epsilon II.

* LaCrosse: Flagship sedan; LWB Epsilon II.

* Vivace: Compact retractable hardtop roadster; SWB Delta II.

* Invicta: Midsize coupe; SWB Epsilon II.

* Riviera: Flagship retractable hardtop coupe; LWB Epsilon II.

* Rendezvous: Compact cross tourer; LWB Delta II.

* Dimension: Midsize cross tourer; LWB Epsilon II.

* Enclave: Flagship fullsize CUV; Lambda.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room