What wax do you use?

I've been using Rejex since my neighbor started using it on his Corvette about 2 years ago. It lasted for 6 months on my car through the winter with just one coat. It also allows bugs, etc to just wipe off the paint when washing. The only down side is it is only available at True Value hardware stores, and cost about $22.

It ads a good shine (though not as good as the Meguiar's Gold Class), but it has amazing longevity, and is easy to use. I also leaves no dust!

I use Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal wax system minus step 1 since they discontinued it, replacing it with their Ultimate Compound. For in between I use their quick wax.

I'm considering trying Adam's Swirl and Haze Car Polish, a lot of people on LHforums swear by the stuff.

I'm inclined to believe since it can do this:

vondavette1.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Very Impressive. 8)

I've been using 3M's Perfect-It "showcar" wax for 5-6 yrs. now and really like it. Seems to leave the fewest swirl marks on my black VUE which has always had incredibly easy to scratch paint for some reason. I'd blame it on the additives used to make it stick to the plastic body panels but my '96 Saturn had very durable paint on it.

Any compounding has been done with Imperial hand glaze or Perfect-it III compound used sparingly.

Meh, I don't think the scratch was really that bad... if you threw a bunch of dirt on it again you would be able to see them. You can tell from the reflection that that area has hardly been perfected.

The best wax you can buy outside of a carnauba wax (which costs hundreds) is 3M, the stuff is magic. The only thing that can take a bird $h! stain out of paint is some sort of 3M polish (it's been 3 years since I was detailing cars, so I don't remember except that it was 3M). I use 3M at home as a result.

I use Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal wax system minus step 1 since they discontinued it, replacing it with their Ultimate Compound. For in between I use their quick wax.

I'm considering trying Adam's Swirl and Haze Car Polish, a lot of people on LHforums swear by the stuff.

vondavette1.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Wow!

I don't wax. It's not my thing. But I'll be happy to

ask my wife what she uses on her legs... oh, wait

I get it. Riiiiight.

In all seriousness I have not waxed a car in about

seven years. I did wax the Camaro a few times

but even that was a waste of time. Besides, I'm all

about patina.

Of course if a new or newish 5th gen. Camaro ever

ends up in my ownership, or perhaps a CTS-V, then

I'll most certainly wax it to keep it looking good.

I don't wax. It's not my thing. But I'll be happy to

ask my wife what she uses on her legs... oh, wait

I get it. Riiiiight.

In all seriousness I have not waxed a car in about

seven years. I did wax the Camaro a few times

but even that was a waste of time. Besides, I'm all

about patina.

Of course if a new or newish 5th gen. Camaro ever

ends up in my ownership, or perhaps a CTS-V, then

I'll most certainly wax it to keep it looking good.

What about Nu Finish? That might work for you...

I don't wax. It's not my thing.

Here in FL, even some of the clearcoat cars will have the paint all burnt to **** in <5 yrs. without frequent waxing. :o

Many people still don't wax their stuff though, even the plastic headlamps which look yellow and nasty on a lot of fairly new cars.

I haven't waxed in years, since I started leasing my vehicles and not giving them the kind of attention that I gave the cars I owned. Even when I had the SKY I didn't wax it, though I wanted to. The wife's '08 Pontiac G6 will be getting a full detail soon, especially since it's approaching it's 1 year anniversary this Sunday. Keep posting what you all use and why you like it, since I need to go out and buy wax ASAP.

And seeing as how I'll be attending the All-GM Nationals show on Saturday in Carlisle, I could use advice quickly as Meguiars and Mothers are usually there hocking their wares (and usually at a car show discount). TIA!

Use Meg's NXT 2.0....great shine....and actually lasts a while....

Just make sure it is the 2.0.

Cars i care about get good ol turtle wax 4 times a year and the others get nu finish 2 a year. nu finish lasts forever but doesnt look good at all.

Cars i care about get good ol turtle wax 4 times a year and the others get nu finish 2 a year. nu finish lasts forever but doesnt look good at all.

Nu finish is finally getting a better shine to go with that protection that it offers....

Haven't used turtle wax in a while...

Use Meg's NXT 2.0....great shine....and actually lasts a while....

Just make sure it is the 2.0.

Thanks for the recommendation. There were a ton of people at the Meguiar's tent yesterday at Carlisle, and many bought the NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (including me). It was pricey - $17 for a 18 fl. oz. bottle, but if it works as great as you say, then it will be well worth it.

Yes, I've heard on LHforums that NXT 2.0 is great, but from their experience it doesn't last that long. Haven't tried it myself though.

The NXT 2.0 is the new stuff....The issue with the old NXT (before the 2.0) was that is shines nice, but didn't last long.

2.0 seems to have fixed it.

I will be giving it a try pretty soon.....

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_deta...p?T1=MEG+G7014J

I had long been a fan of buy whats on sale. (I used NuFinish and Turtle Wax mostly) In the last few years since I have gotten my dream car a Bonneville I have been going with more up-level products. I would suggest Meguiars Gold Class Paste Wax, it worked wonders for my 2005 LS that had never been waxed before. I swear by this stuff, I have tried the NXT 2.0 but still didn't like it as much as Gold Class. I also have a Meguiars Clay Bar kit I use as well to remove any little problems that might come up. My son went out and got it for the 2005 LS a few weeks ago and was so impressed with what it would have been using it as well when I need too.

Since detailing cars is a hobby here is what I use. Note I have two black and one silver car.

I use the Meguires profesional polish line. They are the ones in the quart bottles and mostly found at paint supply shops. It is not the regular Meguires line.

I keep on hand all levels of polish. They are listed from the most abrasive to the least and all are clear coat safe.

Diamond Cut which is a compound polish for deep scratches.

Power Cleaner which is for moderate damaged paint. It will clean scrating and marks up.

Duel Cleaner This stuff will clean up light ot moderate marks

Swirl Polish It clean up the marks left form buffing and those swirls it can leave

Hand Polish this is a fine polish to get the last detail cleaned up and works great on dark colors. It is like a glaze.

To polish out a car I have a six inch Porter Cable duel orbital buffer. This is a great and safe tool to use in general detailing. It takes a lot of the work out of polishing and works great with the Meguires line. Also use foam pads to buff they do a much better detrail job. Now if you are buffing new paint a wool pad is good for the first fo around. and if you are doing new paint use a regular buffer id you know how if not get help.

Once I get the paint perfect I will follow it up with Mother California Gold paste. It last long and is easy to work with. Meguires is as good just I like the yellow since if you pick up any dirt it shows before you wipe it into the paint and make a mark.

On the silver car I use the Nxt Gen 2.0. WIth the lighter color it does not need the extra work and this stuff is good. I was in Reno at Hot August Nights a while back and one of the Meguires guys I know gave me a kit and told me to try it. It works great for the every day cars. The reason I use the paste yet on the black cars is I can use detailer to clean them up and the paste will hold up better on the dark paint. It lets me wipe down the car at show better in the hot sun.

I use Nex gen detailer or any other Meguires detailer as most are all the same.

Last use Micro Fiber towels if you are not already using them they are so much better than anything else.

One other note clay bars are great to clean paint before polishing. it will take out the impurities and make for a much better surface to polish. I use it with just running water to lubricate the paint surface to wipe the car down. It remove over spray, tar sap and anything else that can imbed into the paint.

The first time you clean a car it is a lot of work but once it is done you can maintain it easily and it take so little to keep it up. It has really paid off when I trade cars as I always get top dollar when I sell my cars and often have several people waiting for me to sell. My last 11 year old truck sold in hours when I put it up for sale and I did not let it go cheap.

There are a lot of good products out there from Mother, Meguires, 3M and other specialty lines. The key to getting good results is prep the surface, Polish with the righ products in the right order to restore the shine and then sealing it with a good wax. Using the right tools make it easier. Then using detailer, dusters and follow ups on wax and polish will make it easier to maintain.

Edited by hyperv6

The old NXT, I would agree. The 2.0, haven't tried it yet. We will see... :scratchchin:

Try it out I was far more impressed by Gold Class for shine and how well it holds up. It worked wonders on the 2005 Impala LS I got at the end of May, the car had never seen wax before and now shines like the top of the Chrysler building.