Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: GM hits two million Buick sales in China

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: China, Buick, GM

x08bu_rg002cn-1280_opta.jpg
2009 Buick Regal (China Spec) - click above for high-res image gallery

It took General Motors eight years to sell one million Buicks in China, but the second million came in only three. Brisk auto sales in the land of the Great Wall are part of the reason for the increase, but the General has also stepped up its product lineup with new offerings, including the Regal, LaCrosse, and Park Avenue. Shanghai GM's two-millionth Buick was a red Regal, delivered to a customer in the southern city of Guangzhou.

While those vehicles have brought some high-end class to GM Shanghai's Buick operation, they haven't come close to the success of the smaller Excelle. Shanghai GM has sold 900,000 copies of the Excelle sedan, hatch, and wagon since 2003, and sales are still going strong with 94,000 units moved in the first five months of 2009.

While Buick has struggled as a brand here in the States, the marquee has enjoyed blockbuster success in China. Buick was a smash success in China in the 1930s, as provincial presidents and emperors chose the brand over more austere offerings from the likes of Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz, and it appears some of that goodwill has been projected into modern times.

Continue reading GM hits two million Buick sales in China

GM hits two million Buick sales in China originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:34:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=qmPF78MGN2A:yWxdfEXOvnc:wF9xT autoblog?i=qmPF78MGN2A:yWxdfEXOvnc:V_sGL
qmPF78MGN2A

View the full article

Here's why Buick lives while other brands die.

Here's why Buick lives while other brands die.

That's fine for China, but no one cares about Buick here in the US.

That's fine for China, but no one cares about Buick here in the US.

No, no, no. This isn't about caring or not caring. This is about global market coverage with a balanced portfolio of brands. If Pontiac was sold in China and sold very well in China instead of Buick, which brand do you think would have been killed?

No, no, no. This isn't about caring or not caring. This is about global market coverage with a balanced portfolio of brands. If Pontiac was sold in China and sold very well in China instead of Buick, which brand do you think would have been killed?

If Holden, Vauxhaul and Opel had been sold as Pontiac.....

If Holden, Vauxhaul and Opel had been sold as Pontiac.....

Maybe, but the Opels/Vauxhalls were given to Saturn, so...

Maybe, but the Opels/Vauxhalls were given to Saturn, so...

Saturn should have been given to Olds

Opel should have been the G5 and G6 and the Saturn dealers should have been Pontiac. But that is should have been and never will be.

It all comes down to profit and GM in the world maket is making a killing with Buick. THe new product here that I hace seen is not the same gray head stuff of the past. The key is to make it something more than a rebadged Chevy and make it a car people will be willing to pay more to own.

They will have the product to do the job the question is will they be able to market them well enougth to change the false preceptions of them.

If Buick fails here it is not a big issue as the cars sold here will be covered by profits in China. GM flat has nothing to lose here. If they sell well they make money if they tank the loses will be covered by World sales of Buicks. These same models will pay for themselves if not here but over there.

Pontiac sold how many car world wide vs how many cars Buick sold world wide. thousands vs millions. Hmmm still wonder why Buick lives.

If Pontiac tanked after great investment to fix them who would have covered those loses? What other market do they sell millions of cars in?

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, I think it's time we dealt with reality and what actually is ...

Sorry, it's a little more complicated then that.

Sorry, it's a little more complicated then that.

Not that complicated, stick a fork in it as it is done and not going to change no matter the ideas tossed out on how to prevent this from happening. Buick lives Pontiac is dead.

If Pontiac tanked after great investment to fix them who would have covered those loses? What other market do they sell millions of cars in?

Sorry, but that arguement makes no sense. Buick in China is going to make money whether Buick was killed in the US, or if Pontiac was killed in the US. Covering the losses for Pontiac in the US is no different from covering the losses of Buick in the US. They all go back to the same pool of money, since they are both part of GM.

While there is meat in the argument for closing down Pontiac. It can be argued that people would not like to be shoved in their face with products from Buick in US.

If that happens then what? You lose Pontiac and Buick. GM will make the same mistake of not getting what people want with not one but two brands.

While there is meat in the argument for closing down Pontiac. It can be argued that people would not like to be shoved in their face with products from Buick in US.

If that happens then what? You lose Pontiac and Buick. GM will make the same mistake of not getting what people want with not one but two brands.

Using the excuse that Buick is doing well in China will only last so long. Eventually, the China government will take Buick away from GM and/or the Chinese market will collapse. China is the 2nd biggest economy in the world. It was in 1890, as well. The socio-political situation in China seems permanently broken... and several of my Asian friends are so brainwashed from millenia of oppression that they seem to think its a better setup than the (yes, also currently broken) US.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, I think it's time we dealt with reality and what actually is ...

Agreed. Long live Buick.

I have. That's why my next car will not be a GM vehicle. I'm not going to sit here and say Buick will be some great brand though, because I don't believe it. I will never own a Buick.

Sorry, but that arguement makes no sense. Buick in China is going to make money whether Buick was killed in the US, or if Pontiac was killed in the US. Covering the losses for Pontiac in the US is no different from covering the losses of Buick in the US. They all go back to the same pool of money, since they are both part of GM.

Use your head.

GM spend money developing a line of cars sold in China and here. One set of development cost on one line of cars. If Buick fails here those cars GM paid to develope continue to sell in China and recoupe the cost and GM continues to make a profit.

Or GM spend money to make cars for China and billions more to remake Pontiac. Then if Pontiac fails the money spent on Pontiac will not be covered by a division overseas accept for what ever Holden could account for.

Buick is a low risk deal and the loses will remain low. With Pontiac accept for the G8 the entire line needs redone. The cost of this would not be shared much with anyone other than Holden.

The fact is China is the largest growing market and much of GM's Future will depend more on that market than even our own. Just look now the Chevy Cruze is already avaiable there and not here. GM is going to make the bulk of their profits there not here. We will get shared vehicles accept for a few model that are dedicated to our market.

The big three here will not longer make more vehicles than 4n companies. GM has a gold mine in their lap in China and it will pay for much of what they will sell here in the future.

If Pontiac had a line of cars that were sold on the world market they may have been saved but they were a NA car only and will pay the price for that.

GM to survive needs to be a Global company and be able to sell most of their products world wide just as most other MFG's do now. THis plan was put into motion a while back when Chevy became a global line of cars. I think the plan just got moved ahead with the bankruptcy and the early killing of division and models.

You may never own a Buick but world wide millions of others will and since they are buying they will dictate the product built and sold by GM.

Edited by hyperv6

Whatever you say. I'll let time decide.

Ok

Think about this. If you spend several billion to reform Pontiac into the image should be with the models it needs and it fails where do you recover any of your loses? Do you sell them in Mexico or Canada? Do you send them to China where they do no know or care?

Time will show this was the lower risk move of the two. We lost our edge in this country and no longer tell the world what to buy. GM now has to be concerned with what the whole world wants not just main street USA. Ford is on the same program too but more Euro based.

Ok

Think about this. If you spend several billion to reform Pontiac into the image should be with the models it needs and it fails where do you recover any of your loses? Do you sell them in Mexico or Canada? Do you send them to China where they do no know or care?

Time will show this was the lower risk move of the two. We lost our edge in this country and no longer tell the world what to buy. GM now has to be concerned with what the whole world wants not just main street USA. Ford is on the same program too but more Euro based.

Its very simple, restore the constitution and like magic our edge will come roaring back. A Great President would realize this with ease, via an Executive Order forcing all laws and rulings in the US to fully comply with the Constitution as it was originally intended and written. We build our nation on the rule of law so now enforce it!

Hey Barry, solve our problems, uphold your oath!

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Its very simple, restore the constitution and like magic our edge will come roaring back. A Great President would realize this with ease, via an Executive Order forcing all laws and rulings in the US to fully comply with the Constitution as it was originally intended and written. We build our nation on the rule of law so now enforce it!

Hey Barry, solve our problems, uphold your oath!

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

With the people we are now putting in office many who want to change the Constitution more than defend it good luck.

Either way it would not have changed Pontiac's fate. The world changed and GM did not change with it. It is now an adapt or die world and it is up to GM to now adapt to the global maket to be profitiable.

Saturn should have been given to Olds

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Saturn are gone. They aren't coming back. People need to stop whining about it.

Here is a little secret though, not a lot of people know this so keep it quiet....

Chevys and Buicks are the same as Pontiacs/Olds/Saturns underneath ;) .

That car is so ugly.

I'm sorry guys, but I have to be honest.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0