Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The one car you love(d)?

I was just thinking the other day about one of my favorite cars and of all my cars i have been through i think my favorite cars was my 1980 Oldsmobile Omega 2 door with the iron duke in a deep black. I remember beating it to death and jumping it off of rail road tracks with friends. I also remember rebuilding the engine when i blew it up. I sold it to my neighbor at the time (1989 ish) for i think $150. The body was still clean and straight. I wish I would of kept that car.

Just bored here so i figure i would ask you guys about one of your favorite cars you have ever owned either current or in the past.

My red '87 Integra LS. Drove it for 60K hard miles. A complete blast. I got a few nicks and scratches and felt compelled to trade it in for a '91 Integra GS, which had a very different character.

this morning i was putting plugs in the caprice and i was thinking about what im going to do if that car gets totaled. since i will put a new trans and engine it it if need be. I find myself always replacing things that dont even need to be replaced its like i enjoy working on it or something. I can't think of a time where that car isnt being floored or skidding sideways. I drive it live a stunt car driver. Its just i love the boatyness the sound of the engine and the fact that you can break the tires loose. I don't drive it much since i do all my commuting in either the LeSabre or Vette.

What else? My 1966 Mustang Fastback, in white. 289, 4 speed, used to lead the kids in the back and head for the beach in the summer...wish I had it back

My 2002 and my 1991 Miata's, no longer own the 91 but love the 2002 to death...

My 1955 Chevrolet, perhaps my other favorite car...

My 1971 Chevelle, great times in htat car, owned it for like about 7 years, just like the Mustang and the 55 Chev.

Next car on the list to own---MINI Cooper S or VW TDI Golf...or VW GTI.

Chris

What else? My 1966 Mustang Fastback, in white. 289, 4 speed, used to lead the kids in the back and head for the beach in the summer...wish I had it back

My 2002 and my 1991 Miata's, no longer own the 91 but love the 2002 to death...

My 1955 Chevrolet, perhaps my other favorite car...

My 1971 Chevelle, great times in htat car, owned it for like about 7 years, just like the Mustang and the 55 Chev.

Next car on the list to own---MINI Cooper S or VW TDI Golf...or VW GTI.

Chris

The VW TDI Golf is a nice looking car.

Something doesn't quite sound right....

Wow, a '69 Pontiac with a V6, I never heard of such a rare creature.

Exactly

I wish I had my old '73 Catalina back. I also loved my '00 GTI 1.8t.

from conversations past I had the impression you

really loved & enjoyed your 2-dr hardtop Corvair.

Definitely the car I have now, although I did have some fun times with the Luminas.

I'm only a pseudo-FoMoCo fan but an all out GM fanatic,

and yet comparing a W-body Lumina to a Lincoln LS V8

just seems to be laughable.

It would be like comparing the brand-spanking-newest

& best F-22 Raptor to a 9-decade old Sopwith Camel.

Leaving my Cobalt out of this, I'll say that I loved and miss my S10 Blazer. If it didn't have terminal metal cancer, I'd probably still own it.

Of the cars my father had while I grew up, there are quite a few - a 1986 IROC, a 1986 Firebird (v6, but still cool to a 10 year old), a 1984 Cutlass Calais, a 1985 Cutlass Supreme, a 1981 Regal, a 1986 GP, and, what the hell, a 1965 Corvette that he said would be mine but ended up selling it to build me a bedroom. All but the Corvette he bought with the intentions of fixing and flipping. F-bodies aside, The G-bods were cool, especially the 1985 Cutty. It was black on grey with a plane jane exterior, complete with Olds rocket hubcaps. He put rally wheels and a bodyside molding on it, and it looked killer with the tinted windows it came with. It had a V6 that needed some TLC. He swapped it out in a weekend and sold it the day he put it in the paper. I wish he could have kept it.

I'm only a pseudo-FoMoCo fan but an all out GM fanatic,

and yet comparing a W-body Lumina to a Lincoln LS V8

just seems to be laughable.

It would be like comparing the brand-spanking-newest

& best F-22 Raptor to a 9-decade old Sopwith Camel.

I wasn't trying to compare the two...obviously the LS is a more fun car to drive, but the Luminas put a smile on my face a few times too. Plus, you could beat on them all day long and they would take it like a champ. The Euro models had a stiffer suspension that did well in cornering, and there was a decent amount of torque to get them going even if they were a little underpowered for passing above 55 mph. I dunno, I liked them.

I wasn't trying to compare the two...obviously the LS is a more fun car to drive, but the Luminas put a smile on my face a few times too. Plus, you could beat on them all day long and they would take it like a champ. The Euro models had a stiffer suspension that did well in cornering, and there was a decent amount of torque to get them going even if they were a little underpowered for passing above 55 mph. I dunno, I liked them.

I was mostly just having fun w. the annalogy. :wink:

This one certainly comes to mind:

3568800067_56cc8101a4.jpg

It was no dolled up clone, heck it was a "standard V8 hardtop"

that left the factory with a column shifted 327 / TH350 combo.

But it was MY 1968 Camaro. And after a lifetime of dreaming

of 1st Gen. F-body ownership this car was the coolest car on

the planet to me.

It insulted, pissed off & embarassed many exotic car owners &

had a few run ins with the "Law" but never anything beyond a

citation/impound. I had my fun with it for 4 years and when I

had to sell her to buy a '64 Olds Super 88 Holiday not only did

I have a somber moment but my G/F CRIED!

God Speed Sixty-8. Where ever you are!

Wow, a '69 Pontiac with a V6, I never heard of such a rare creature. I wish I had my old '73 Catalina back. I also loved my '00 GTI 1.8t.

That version of the GTI is a fun car...

Chris

I miss all of my past vehicles. Even the '83 Caprice with the 3.8 was special in it's own sort of way.

But my favorite two are easy.

My black 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado Caliente - loaded to the gills. The only two options it didn't have were sunroof and high end sound. It wasn't fast nor did it handle great, but the driving was effortless, comfortable, and damn did it look great going down the road. It may have been older, but even in 1999 this car had a presence on the road that no jelly bean Continental, Infiniti or Lexus could match. The few times I took it into NYC, the cabbies didn't mess with me. You just don't f%$k with a vehicle that has a hood long enough to land a helicopter on.

My black 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6. Just about midpack in terms of trim, I didn't have NAV or the extra wood. Most here don't like the interior, but I liked it fine and ergonomically it fit me perfectly. I don't need the interior frills that some here feel is required in this type of car. I could turn heads with it even up to the day I turned it in on lease. It handled beautifully and was plenty fast enough to get me in trouble if I wanted. There was one particular drive from Pittsburgh to King of Prussia where I was following a similar year Vette at triple digit speed. I'm sure he could of out run me if he wanted to but even at those speeds I was right there with him in the turns. The 2004 CTS is the epitome of a point and click interface dressed in a sharp, business like, black, pin stripe suit.

I can relate, Oldsmoboi to the class of the Olds...

And the the CTS...both of which way out do any damn jellybean modern car.

My life goal right now (n othm)is to never buy another "normal" car...

Be interesting to see what you end up with next, sir...

And Six Eight...I feel the same way about my 66 NOTHING in the world like a 60's Pony Car...

Chris

The one I miss the most that I got rid of was my '57 F-250. That truck just had... presense. $450, went somewhere in north Jersey in '94.

The one I miss the most that I still have would be my '64 Catalina- my daily driver for 2 years.

I'd say the B-59 but I hardly drove it before tearing into it.