Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Toyota reaffirms 2015 release of new hydrogen vehicle

12 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Green, Toyota

toyota-highlander-comic-580.png
Toyota Highlander FCV - Click above for high-res image gallery

In 2007, Toyota drove one of its hydrogen fuel cell vehicles from Alaska to Vancouver, British Columbia. Earlier that same year, a Toyota FCHV drove from Tokyo to Osaka on one tank. The company is certainly in favor of at least researching the technology, and it has repeatedly said that it will start series production of a fuel cell vehicle in the middle of the next decade. At one point, Toyota hinted that 2014 might mark the big year, but that's looking unlikely now.

During a recent shareholders' meeting in Japan, Toyota VP Masatami Takimoto said that Toyota now plans to start production of this new car in 2015. That's still quite soon, as no one expects the hydrogen infrastructure problem to be solved by then. Thanks to Greg B. for the tip!

[source: AFP]

Toyota reaffirms 2015 release of new hydrogen vehicle originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=I-DJEfnpNb0:-aieZpxblZ4:wF9xT autoblog?i=I-DJEfnpNb0:-aieZpxblZ4:V_sGL
I-DJEfnpNb0

View the full article

Late to the party as usual, but they'll find a way to make everyone think they were first. Just you wait. :-}

Well, if they can manage to build the vehicle & get people to buy into it in volume like they did with the Prius, then that's worth something. Unfortunately, I'm not sure GM is going to be in much of a position to have an "arms race" with them on this. The infrastructure issue is still a big one, though.

Well, if they can manage to build the vehicle & get people to buy into it in volume like they did with the Prius, then that's worth something. Unfortunately, I'm not sure GM is going to be in much of a position to have an "arms race" with them on this. The infrastructure issue is still a big one, though.

We might as well all give up. GM's image is damaged so damn bad that no one wants anything from them anymore. Everything they try no one cares they just want to run out an buy a Toyota. We might as well just all switch now...

Meh. Honda already has the Clarity out and about in LA for lease. It seems like it would be ready for regular sale, once the infrastructure catches up.

Meh. Honda already has the Clarity out and about in LA for lease. It seems like it would be ready for regular sale, once the infrastructure catches up.

And the price comes down. Maybe siegen can fill us in on how much they cost to build. I think he costs are still very high.

And the price comes down. Maybe siegen can fill us in on how much they cost to build. I think he costs are still very high.

I had talked to a Honda rep at Detroit 2008, and while he did not reveal the exact figures, he said that it cost more than an order of magnitude compared to Honda's most expensive vehicle in America. So I am guessing at least $500,000, since RL is close to that.

I had talked to a Honda rep at Detroit 2008, and while he did not reveal the exact figures, he said that it cost more than an order of magnitude compared to Honda's most expensive vehicle in America. So I am guessing at least $500,000, since RL is close to that.

Ouch..maybe by 2015 it will be cost-effective to build.

Hydrogen is pointless unless people figure out how to make compressed hydrogen cheaply.

nuclear. Except our prez shut down funding for Yucca Mt with no plan for what to do with spent fuel, so it will continue to pile up in hundreds of far less ideal storage places around the country. I'm no Obama basher, but this was a stupid & political move.

The first prototype Clarity (or current gen FCX) was rumored to cost, in USD, over a million. Just rumors though, I'm pretty sure Honda has never said the cost publicly. Now that they have the production model and have sold a few dozen or so (I really don't know how many exactly), it should be less. But keep in mind each one is still built by hand and they are not mass produced yet. I'm going to go with Z-06 and say they probably cost $500,000 or more each for Honda to make.

Edited by siegen

I just googled for the price.

Here is an excerpt from Bloomberg.

Honda made an expensive bet in that guessing game by designing the hydrogen-powered FCX Clarity. It’s costly (perhaps $500,000 each to produce), yet the sedan emits only water.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0