Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Pre-Production Chevy Volt Plugged In, Testing In Real World [Spy Photos]

24 posts in this topic

pre_pro_volt_jalopnik-topshot.jpgThe first pre-production Chevy Volt "Integration Vehicle" was completed this week ahead of schedule. Looks like GM's putative four-wheeled electrified savior is getting closer to reality.

The Chevy Cruze-based development mules will slowly be replaced by these close-to-production Volt bodied prototypes, marking a huge leap forward in the step to electrified propulsion. GM's says that it will build up to 80 Volt prototypes for testing out on public road over by October which will help engineers sort out all the little issues with the vehicle before it goes on sale to the public.

Andrew Farah, GM's Chevy Volt Vehicle Chief Engineer wrote in a Volt blog post;

We're producing a few Volts per week now, but we'll quickly ramp up to 10 per week and will have approximately 80 pre-production vehicles built by October. By exceeding our own pre-production deadlines it allows us additional time to refine the vehicle. We've already discovered a few small tweaks we need to make, but nothing out of the ordinary for this stage of development.

With pre-production Volts now running around Metro Detroit, who's up for a game of Volt-spotting?

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=-dW3lUbXKmc:4Zwq4vgdxts:D7DqB2pKE full?i=-dW3lUbXKmc:4Zwq4vgdxts:V_sGLiPBp
-dW3lUbXKmc

View the full article

Overhang or not, it still looks a lot better than the Prius with its non-existent front end.

Wow an electric car that does not look like a science fair projects.

This answers my question of how this will look in the real world. And it looks good.

The more I see I think this car will do what GM expects and not make a big profit as they already said it won't but to set the standard of what to expect of a electric car. If electrics are to replace gas they should not change our lifestyles, the way we drive and the way we live. They should fit into our lives and not change our lives.

This car will pave the way for the future of GM and the industry. The key now is to make sure GM keeps the lead as that is where the profits lie.

That front overhand is pretty bad. Overtall the Volt looks fantastic. It makes me wish GM would make this the Cruze with Volt as a trim level.

What's with the "fuel filler door" on the fender? Is that where the plug goes?

What's with the "fuel filler door" on the fender? Is that where the plug goes?

Yup

Didn't they initially have the plug built into the trim piece just forward of the window?

Didn't they initially have the plug built into the trim piece just forward of the window?

Yeah, they might still have it and this is just for testing. I hope so anyway, it looks ugly. Integrating it into the trim piece was a very neat design feature.

Yeah, they might still have it and this is just for testing. I hope so anyway, it looks ugly. Integrating it into the trim piece was a very neat design feature.

I hope you're right because I am with you on the "...it looks ugly. Integrating it into the trim piece was a very neat design feature" thing.

Though, it still needs a fuel filler door, so I suppose it would make sense to incorporate the plug and the fuel filler in one location.

It was obvious that participants had closely scrutinized a video showing a corporate test-drive of the Volt with Farah earlier in the week. He spent part of the session explaining such things as why the charging port on the Volt has been relocated to the gas cap instead of the fender.

"The...connector is a bit larger than would fit under the fender trim, so we moved it down to accommodate," he explained.

Hmm ok, but why not change the trim piece to be able to accommodate the connector so the clean look was kept?

Using a standard round cap is cheaper than having a part specifically designed.

Well it does have a small gasoline engine, does it not? Where do you suppose they want you to fill it? Could it be that both the electric plug and fuel cap are collocated near each other? Nah that would be to logical for GM ... :smilewide:

Well it does have a small gasoline engine, does it not? Where do you suppose they want you to fill it? Could it be that both the electric plug and fuel cap are collocated near each other? Nah that would be to logical for GM ... :smilewide:

Wouldn't electricity and gasoline so close together have the potential to make this a really :hot: :hot: :hot: car?

Wouldn't electricity and gasoline so close together have the potential to make this a really :hot: :hot: :hot: car?

You would think common sense would suggest that anyone with half a brain could figure that one out.

You would think common sense would suggest that anyone with half a brain could figure that one out.

Common sense and zl-1 don't fit on the same sentence :neenerneener:

The plug is large and round like the opening of a gas filler neck. GM is working to make this the same plug that would be the standard for the industry.

You would not want the gas and electric plug in the same hole as it would require a very large flap even larger than this one.

Having gas and electric in the same place would be nice but with the parts they have are large and just won't fit and the safety factor would be and issue if something went wrong. I could see in the future plugs wearing and not fitting properly to the point someone will spark one of these. Fumes take litte to go off and GM needs all the buyer for this car that they can get and blowing them or their cars up might send a wong signal. LOL!

I would have thought the plug on the front of the car would have been a good idea behind the front plate or plate block off if you could seal it off. That way the plug would be equal to either side so no matter what side of the garage or parking spot you park on it was an equal distance.

*Gasp* Look at that overhang!

x2 applied to acuras whole lineup today

side note. new prius exterior now i have seen on the road......much improved and not so bad. not a dorkwagon like the last gen

Edited by regfootball

....insight is still better looking than Prius...and next to both of them the TDI Jetta looks like Miss Universe standing next to a 57 year old trailer trash lady with a pot belly and a half smoked Marlboro...and no bra...

But seriously, I think the Volt should be good competition for the TDI. An actual desireable car that is fuel efficient.

Chris

....insight is still better looking than Prius...and next to both of them the TDI Jetta looks like Miss Universe standing next to a 57 year old trailer trash lady with a pot belly and a half smoked Marlboro...and no bra...

But seriously, I think the Volt should be good competition for the TDI. An actual desireable car that is fuel efficient.

Chris

actually now i tend to like the prius better myself. the honda looks last gen / korean in comparison. the jetta looks far nicer than either and no doubt is actually more fun to drive. plus, diesel is affordable again as well.

still wouldn't drive a prius, wouldn't want the stigma that goes with it.

Chris

Yep!

While the new Pruis looks better is like saying a burn victim looks better after a skin graft or two. It still ain't what you would call stylish. Honda did do a little better as it does have a little real car look to it bit still with the quirky Honda tail end.

The Volt should do well.

IF GM can get the Launch right on this system it will do wonders not just for this car but for the other new GM cars. It may get people to notice and give them a chance to earn a little precieved quality back. God I hope they don't slip up on this one.

The last thing we need it one to go up in flaimes on the 5 at rush hour in So Cal. It would make all the networks.

Edited by hyperv6

Common sense and zl-1 don't fit on the same sentence :neenerneener:

Heh, I'm sorry. I wasn't directing that specifically to anyone; rather, I was fishing for information on what engineering was applied to avoid such a catastrophic disaster... or a "Pinto" as it were.

Heh, I'm sorry. I wasn't directing that specifically to anyone; rather, I was fishing for information on what engineering was applied to avoid such a catastrophic disaster... or a "Pinto" as it were.

I don't think it is any real engineering other than they were not put in the same hole together. Other wise the tank is away from any heat or spark just as in a reglar gas car.

Now the tank placement will be interesting since there is a battery where it is now. But then again it is not a large tank either. GM voiced concern about the fact on some cars driven to work daily on electric the gas would seldom get used and it would get old in the tank. I have not heard how it would deal with this but I expect the gas engine would come on cycle after so long just to keep the gas engine running.

My generators at work and home will cycle once a week just to keep everything in running order. I assume the Volt will have something similar if it dosen not kick on from driving often.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0