NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: 2010 GMC Terrain Pricing Starts At $24,995 [New Cars]

38 posts in this topic

2010_GMC_Terrain.jpgItching for the 32 MPG highway 2010 Chevy Equinox but really want it with a GMC badge? It'll be a $1,810 premium on the base model as the 2010 GMC Terrain starts at $24,995. Full details below.

DETROIT - GMC has announced that its all-new Terrain five-passenger crossover will arrive in showrooms in September sporting a starting price of $24,995 for the front-wheel drive model. An all-wheel drive model starts at $26,745. Both prices include a $745 destination and freight charge.

"The Terrain allows us to build on the evolution we started with the Acadia, applying the distinctive styling and capabilities that have always been a part of the GMC DNA to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles that customers are seeking in today's rapidly changing market," said Susan Docherty, GM North America Vice President, Buick-Pontiac-GMC. "We think Terrain is a bold statement of GMC's key role within the reinvented General Motors."

The base SLE1 model comes standard with GM's new 2.4L direct-injection engine and six-speed automatic transmission that delivers EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of 32 miles per gallon while offering a unique MultiFlex rear seat configuration that can optimized for either class-leading passenger legroom or nearly 64 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front seats. The base price also includes unexpected standard features, such as an integrated rear-view camera system and six-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with USB connectivity and XM satellite radio service, along with a full suite of safety equipment, including six airbags, StabiliTrak vehicle stability control, and OnStar.

The top-of-the-line SLT2 trim level, which features leather seating, a premium Pioneer sound system, a power liftgate, sunroof and a special chrome appearance package, starts at $29,995 (including DFC). The Terrain also offers a powerful 3.0L direct injection V6 engine and a host of optional features like integrated navigation system and a rear-seat DVD infotainment system.

The
GMC Terrain
will be built at the CAMI assembly facility in Ingersoll, Ontario.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=62jUKRRsO_U:KSQLflYgcKw:D7DqB2pKE full?i=62jUKRRsO_U:KSQLflYgcKw:V_sGLiPBp
62jUKRRsO_U

View the full article

Lets reivew, its uglier than an Equinox, and more expensive and they expect it to sell? Thankfully the interior and platform and powertrains are all WORLD CLASS.

Edited by gm4life

Well, I for one like the Terrain over the Equinox and will do my best to add it to my garage this fall. Of course the one I'd want, SLT-2 AWD with a boat-load of options, is likely not attainable, I might be able to live with a SLT-1 and FWD :scratchchin:

Lets reivew, its uglier than an Equinox, and more expensive and they expect it to sell? Thankfully the interior and platform and powertrains are all WORLD CLASS.

I'd call it, at worst, a lateral, since its replacing the Torrent, which looked exactly like the Equinox, based higher than the Equinox and didn't really sell.

I'd call it, at worst, a lateral, since its replacing the Torrent, which looked exactly like the Equinox, based higher than the Equinox and didn't really sell.

That is true, but at least the Torrent in my view wasn't ugly. I really do not like the GMC's outside styling at all. I was hoping it would look more like the Equinox but it doesn't.

Well, I for one like the Terrain over the Equinox and will do my best to add it to my garage this fall. Of course the one I'd want, SLT-2 AWD with a boat-load of options, is likely not attainable, I might be able to live with a SLT-1 and FWD :scratchchin:

Well if you like it go for. I am just saying when I look at an Equinox and the price difference I see no reason to go with the GMC. I am not a fan of a styling but the powertrains are great and interior styling is good as well. It just comes down to the fact I don't like the "square" look of it and much prefer the Equinox. Would you get the six or four cylinder on yours?

I liked it in the first shots, and am starting to like it more. I think it'll do ok, better than if it were just an Equinox with a GMC grill.

Captain Obvious says: it's a good thing when GM gives us platform mates that are NOT rebadges. The Terrain is wonderfully different from the Equinox, and I'm glad for it.

It is different, but in my book certainly not better looking and more pricey.

As for your opinion on its attractiveness, that's purely subjective (I know you know this!). But as for it's higher MSRP price, look at what that money gives you:

The base price also includes unexpected standard features, such as an integrated rear-view camera system and six-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with USB connectivity and XM satellite radio service...

So yes, while the MSRP is higher, the Terrain comes with features as standard equipment that the average Equinox may not come with (depending on how Chevy dealers order them). I for one want those options, and since they're standard, I don't have to worry about any GMC dealers and the weird way they order! :lol:

gm4life, I am in no way picking on you or tryingt o argue with you. I'm using your statements to point out how many around here think of GMC, that they're just a useless rebadge division. While the Equinox is nice, it's not my cup of tea. If the Terrain wasn't available, I couldn't say with 100% honesty I would buy the Equinox... the Escape & Marinier have also cazught my eye and I would consider them in place of the Equinox.

The Equinox is definitely the looker of the two.

The Terrain has an appropriate overall shape (which properly mimics the corporation's GMT900 based SUVs), but the overdone cartoonish details (over-the-top front end design and oversized fender flares) ruin the design for me. I do think the squared-off fender flares are appropriate for the design and brand, but I would have liked to see them be a little more integrated into the design instead of looking like tacky add-ons. The rear end design looks like it belongs on a different vehicle. The front of the vehicle has blocky vertical elements that don't gel well with the softer horizontal elements of the rear (primarily the taillight treatment). Overall, the overdone, unrefined details undermine what could have been a nice looking, upscale design for the brand. I appreciate the fact that the Terrain is differentiated from the more flowing, softer design of its Equinox platform mate (which it should be), but the overdone details give it more of a toylike Tonka appearance. I expect GMC styling to be a little more macho and tougher than similar products offered by the corporation's other brands, but I still expect a refined and well tailored execution of details and elements that properly align with the brand's "Professional Grade" tagline and the premium status of the Buick/GMC sales channel.

Having said that, I am glad that this product appeals to many of you and I hope that it is a success for the brand and GM.

Different strokes for different folks. There are some here that love it and don't like the equinox. This is the exact reason for having divisions.

but the overdone details give it more of a toylike Tonka appearance

cire, I think you hit the nail on the head. I sincerely love Tonka trucks, have since I was a little boy and still do today when me and my 3 year-old son play with the Tonka trucks I've bought for him. I like trucks that look like trucks - as much as a GMC Truck guy as I am, I totally fell in love with the new-for-'94 Dodge Ram when it came out - that mini "big rig" look was too hard not to like (well, if you're a truck guy, that is).

And it seems to me that those C&G posters that prefer cars like the Equinox and those that prefer trucks like the Terrain. Am I right or is it just me??

I generally prefer cars, but I'd pick the Terrain over the Equinox anyday because the Terrain doesn't look like an egg. My dealer has an Equinox and it is not an appealing vehicle, its probably a good thing for B-G dealerships that they didn't get another cheap Chevy clone.

Here's two pictures I took, one of the Terrain (at the NYIAS) and the other of the Equinox (taken yesterday at the All-GM Nationals in Carlisle) for a comparison:

DSCN9386.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

And here's a side-shot of the Terrain's frontend, so you can see how far the grille sticks out:

DSCN9487.jpg

Looks like they may have the windshield, A-pillars, and roof panel in common, but other than that, the exteriors look completely different. Both seem to have really tall front ends.

I like the new Equinox. The interior is full of style. I think I prefer the Terrain overall, though. AWD and still 29 mpg highway rating with the 2.4L. Not bad, GM.

if these are at the dealer now, methinks its testdrive time! 32 mpg and crossover cargo space on the cheap........

I'd take the Terrain over the Equinox anyday.

As nice as the new Eq is, if I wanted an organic Toyota look, I'd just buy a Toyota.

I like the overall looks of the Terrain, but the top edge of the chrome grille - the part that rises up onto the hood - needs to be 75% shorter...exposing more painted hood and less chrome.

Additionally, I think the D-pillar needs to be blacked-out, rather than body color. If you use the GMC online configurator, which allows you to see the Terrain 360 degrees in any color, then any color other than black makes the side profile look choppy.

The Terrain is growing on me, I will say that, it must be the red dash ... :smilewide:

think there is any way to slap a torrent badge on the rear deck and a pontiac logo on the steering wheel?

From the getgo, I have preferred the Terrain to the Equinox. The Equinox is too tall for that flowing C pillar but the boxiness works well with the tallness on the Terrain. I want one.

Drove an Equinox. The interior has an outstanding look (swoopy lines, superb red stitching), great ergonomics, not sure about the feel of materials, though, but I'll let that go. Its an environment I would want to spend time in. Drove a 6 and a 4, FWD. Not sure the 6 has much over the 4. Neither allowed me to rush down the road.

the vue v6 has some serious nuts. i was able to break the wheels lose on the AWD version in roll on acceleration. are you suggesting the equinox v6 maybe doesn't have the same reserves?

Hey reg, remember that the VUE V6 is the 3.6L V6 whereas the 2010 Equinox & Terrain V6 will be a 3.0L V6. I'm sure the loss of 0.6Ls will be felt in the acceleration department. I'm dying to go and test drive a 2010 Equinox, but I have no intention of buying one - I;d rather wait for the Terrain to arrive and test drive that instead (but it's still killing me nonetheless!).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor