Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: GM says Camaro supply outstripped by demand, cars selling for over sticker

42 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Coupes, Chevrolet, GM

001_2010camaro_fd_opt.jpg
2010 Chevy Camaro - Click above for a high-res image gallery

You want a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro? You'd better come strong with more money than the MSRP requires, and you'd better be willing to wait. Bloomberg is reporting that General Motors can't build the reborn bow tie pony car fast enough to quench public demand. That's excellent news for a company that needs a reason to smile, and it could be even better for dealers donning the bow tie. After all, car sales are still firmly in the tank, and GM has seen more than its fair share of shrunken demand.

Dealers have already booked about 25,000 orders for the Camaro, yet only half have been delivered to date. Analysts reportedly told Bloomberg that dealers are getting $500 over sticker on average, too, and at least one dealer is guessing that he won't have a Camaro to sell in stock for at least a year. Bartow Chevrolet in Florida sold its first two Camaros at MSRP, and he's already booked 18 orders.

There is no question that the Camaro has grabbed the attention of the car-buying public, and the debut of Transformers 2 will likely give the pony car another marketing shot in the arm. GM sold 5,463 copies of the Camaro in May, and we're guessing that number will grow as production ramps up.

[source: Bloomberg]

REPORT: GM says Camaro supply outstripped by demand, cars selling for over sticker originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:35:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=J66JNRMQez0:Oi95PgvSaO0:wF9xT autoblog?i=J66JNRMQez0:Oi95PgvSaO0:V_sGL
J66JNRMQez0

View the full article

My dealer has 5 in stock. 2 red, an orange a yellow and a black one. No idea what trim they are, but since that dealership is full of assholes, they're probably LS automatics with a $14,000 markup.

My dealer has 5 in stock. 2 red, an orange a yellow and a black one. No idea what trim they are, but since that dealership is full of assholes, they're probably LS automatics with a $14,000 markup.

Yea same thing around here. All the asshole dealers want at least 30 grand for a V6!

Dealers that gouge potential customers sabotage the car and they should be put on the "CLOSED" list of stores by GM. MSRP and NO HIGHER, you asswipes!

The same dealership had a ZR-1 in the showroom with a 20% markup. According to one of the salesmen, they do it because they can. GM really should do something, unfortunately this dealership wont close because its the only large dealership within 30 miles.

Dealers have Camaro SS' on Craigslist going for 55k. It's nuckin' futs.

I hope GM removes all these dealers who are still gouging and keeping the precious sales away. The dealer near me who was being a jerk for the Cobalt SS has toned down and is ready to sale the Camaro for MSRP.

The first year even in a bad car market the Camaro will do fine that is a no brainer. By the second year the dealer mark ups will be gone and sales will still be ok.

By the third year sales will be telling of how well this car will fair. Changes, upgrades and special editions will be needed to hold up sales in the final years leading to 2016.

Unknowns like gas prices and economy are the wild cards here.

Edited by hyperv6

I wish they would have a Bumblebee addition, that has the actual paint and wheels from the movie. They could do two versions to spread it out. One edition from the first movie and one for the 2nd movie.

It's a no brainer sales generator.

It's a no brainer sales generator.

Yes, but unfortunately GM has a knack for no brainer marketing as well.

This article makes we wonder why GM stopped the Camaro to begin with.

Sales were doing poorly as I recall. I doubt that if it had been redesigned under a normal life cycle that it would look like this or be as refined.

The 4th gen was awful and sales reflected that fact, but GM didn't have a platform to replace the old F.

They had also priced it out of the hands of the younger buyers that wanted it most, yet not really refined it enough to be a "premium" sport coupe.

Bu..But... PCS said the car would fail!

I said it will fail between the 1st and 2nd year of production, and it will. This is just pent up demand being satisfied ... And what's the line speed of Oshawa for the Camaro, after all you can make statistics say anything you want ...

There are still like 30 Chevy dealers in the LA metro area to choose from, so they're available at MSRP here...

Dealers have Camaro SS' on Craigslist going for 55k. It's nuckin' futs.

See this is what kills vehicle sales. Dealers did this with the GTO and Solstice too. The thing is the dealers still try to price gouge long after the "gotta have it" demand has subsided.

I said it will fail between the 1st and 2nd year of production, and it will. This is just pent up demand being satisfied ... And what's the line speed of Oshawa for the Camaro, after all you can make statistics say anything you want ...

This car will not fail by any definition.

Solid as a rock, this car is a dream. And I was determined NOT to stall the powerful V8 as I eased the clutch out for the first time, on an incline, at the Carlisle Ride & Drive today. I swear, every manual is different, but after that initial take-off, it was smooooth as buttah, baybee. Mine was an orange 2SS with black stripes and the orange accent interior.

"Solid" really describes this car best.

It feels so right to drive.

I drove a red 1SS

Sales were not great on any F body and it needed redesigned. GM also was short money and they thought it was now a good idea to invest in the slow coupe market. Ford proved them wrong and got their attention. It was not so much the coupe but the car that was at issue. Too little market appeal as it was a guys car more than a car for everyone.

I agree the time off may have given us a much better car than what we would have gotten before. Just a shame the timing has proven so poor for the new car in a dead market. At least it is selling now and if the market improves in two years it will help the sales then.

Either way it will help right now when few other cars are selling to have one that is hot.

Sales were not great on any F body and it needed redesigned. GM also was short money and they thought it was now a good idea to invest in the slow coupe market. Ford proved them wrong and got their attention. It was not so much the coupe but the car that was at issue. Too little market appeal as it was a guys car more than a car for everyone.

I agree the time off may have given us a much better car than what we would have gotten before. Just a shame the timing has proven so poor for the new car in a dead market. At least it is selling now and if the market improves in two years it will help the sales then.

Either way it will help right now when few other cars are selling to have one that is hot.

Pretty good assesment.

The whole story is just too complicated to tell in one post.

And BTW Satty, the 4th gen was far from a "POS".

And BTW Satty, the 4th gen was far from a "POS".

The right way to describe it would be "not for everyone". If I could comfortably see out of and drive one, I'd probably own one.

You won't have that problem with the fifth gen, Z.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0