Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Chevy Spark spotted as Daewoo Matiz

21 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Economy, Hatchbacks, GM

daewoo-matiz-spy-na-580.jpg
Daewoo Matiz spy shots - Click above for high-res image gallery

The folks at Noticias Automotivas have scored shots of what looks to be the next-generation Daewoo Matiz, the subcompact hatch that we know better as the Chevrolet Spark.

The budget runabout is clearly very similar to General Motors' 2007 Beat concept and is in fact bang-on the Bowtie-badged production-intent model we saw displayed at this year's Geneva Motor Show, albeit with a Daewoo-specific upper and lower grilles, less stylized fog lamps and discount looking wheels.

Inside, the motorcycle-like gauge binnacle appears to have to have made the transition to production as expected, although as we were not permitted to touch the Geneva car, we can't tell if it's a tilt/telescope assembly.

Check out the gallery of images below.

[source: Noticias Automotivas]

Spy Shots: Chevy Spark spotted as Daewoo Matiz originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=WHwPfASTn_U:Ek1cabU-X_I:wF9xT autoblog?i=WHwPfASTn_U:Ek1cabU-X_I:V_sGL
WHwPfASTn_U

View the full article

I hope these tiny things don't really catch on here...

Interesting..looks like they are doing the same stupid 'hidden' rear door handle that many other minicars do. Having the black plastic w/ the handle where a window should be looks pretty ugly.

It's a tall tiny car, completely different from the Ka/500 concept of what a tiny car is supposed to be.

It's a tall tiny car, completely different from the Ka/500 concept of what a tiny car is supposed to be.

Kind of seems like a Aygo competitor, maybe?

No this is a Ka competitor. Matiz lies in that bracket.

Ford has nothing to worry about from GM looking at this design.

I hope they sell like crazy.

The more idiots who buy these will help GM and also help make it possible for them to build and sell more of the cars I want that do not get as good of mileage.

Fiesta please. Yes I know it's bigger. It's also not a penalty box.

Grim POS.

Had Pontiac continued, this would have probably been the next gen G2 for Mexico. Spicy Excitement!!!

So in a couple years, the Chevy NA car lineup may be-- from the bottom up-- Spark, Viva (Aveo replacement), Cruze, Volt, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Corvette, with Orlando, Equinox and Traverse for the CUVs?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I like how everyone had to have their identity hidden... it that guy holding his nose?!? So it stinks in more than one way?

well, these products are politically driven, not market driven and coupled with GM's often poor execution........

I really question even how well the Fiesta will do. No doubt its a fabulous car. But Fords can only command X dollars in the showroom, even with their upgraded status because some wiener on the internet will always say the ford should not cost the same as the honda fit or the stupid yaris because its not a honda or a toyota and american cars break down and they don't hold their value.

there is always some reason or exemption people will overpay for a Yaris, but it doesn't mean Chevy can sell POSx2 with the Viva and Spark and expect to make any sales or any money on it unless they discount it to Kia pricing, and even then.......

To me, it makes more sense for Chevy to invest in Cruze and for GM to get an affordable version of the next Astra here. Diversify the product lines and offer many engines and such and market those two car lines to everyone.

Sure the Aveo replacement will be needed and will sell ok but I just don't think America still wants really a lot of subsubcompact small cars. Cars like the Cruze and Kia Forte and Hyundai Elantra will morph into the new gen family cars and will need to offer a vast array of configurations and powertrains to go along with the affordable pricing and fuel economy.

The Fiesta will do well because it isn't a penalty box. It's a small car people actually would want to own for more than just fuel economy, and wouldn't have to give up things like style, comfort, features, and performance.

I would possibly be interested in a car that was more like the original 3-door concept, particularly if it could be made quick and agile. The 5-door doesn't cut it, and while I don't hate it's looks, it's lost enough appeal that I have no interest in buying one. I'm also more & more having my doubts that it'll be made to be anything but a really cheap (in the worst sense) car.

well, these products are politically driven, not market driven and coupled with GM's often poor execution........

The Daewoo Matiz has been around forever; this is just the newest generation.

It's actually not terrible - a few minor changes could go a long way to making this thing look much better.

The 12" wheels and dimestore hubcaps make this vehicle look really cheap. Ideally you'd want a larger diameter tire/wheel combo, but even replacing those wheels with with non- 70-series-sidewalled rubber would help quite a bit.

I care less for the Daewoo grill than I do the Chevy version - see the Cruze. Adding the more agressive split grill will make it look better.

There's a lot of black plastic there that also cheapens the car - the upper portion of the massive headlight enclosure surround and around the the mirrors in particular. Any chance that's pre-production? Making that chrome and/or body colored would make the car appear more expensive.

In short - bleh, but there's potential to look at least OK. Still not as good looking as the Fiesta, but it could be competitive.

-RBB

whats the price range for these cars?

Anyone???

THe old Matiz as sold in India costs around $7.5K - 10K. Taxes are higher so I would knock off about $500-1,000 from those prices.

Since Pontiac will be gone from Mexico, there won't be a new G2 based on this. Is Buick in Mexico? Maybe they will get a Buick something version of this! (B2?)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0