Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Hyundai Equus coming to the States in July 2010, priced under $60,000

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Sedans/Saloons, Hyundai

000_equus_nyca-580op2.jpg
2010 Hyundai Equus - Click above for a high-res image gallery

According to an anonymous source at Hyundai, buyers in the U.S. will get their first crack at the Hyundai Equus sedan beginning next July, with a cost of entry somewhere south of $60,000.

The Genesis-based sedan, which stretches a little over seven inches longer than Hyundai's first attempt at entry-level luxury, is available in Korea with either the Genesis' 3.8-liter V6 or 4.6-liter V8. However, Stateside buyers will only be able to purchase the bent-eight model when sales begin next summer.

Hyundai's primary aim with the Equus is to compete with the similarly priced Lexus LS460 ($64,700), while offering more luxury amenities including reclining rear seats, massagers and LCD displays. According to Rick Case, the owner of six Hyundai dealerships in North America, "It won't be a volume model for us. It will be a halo car for the brand." If you want to scope out the Korean-market Equus before sales begin next year, 100 sedans are currently available for evaluation at dealerships across the country.

[source: Autoweek]

REPORT: Hyundai Equus coming to the States in July 2010, priced under $60,000 originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=RZUaXTptcSc:KUmJY8_bnUM:wF9xT autoblog?i=RZUaXTptcSc:KUmJY8_bnUM:V_sGL
RZUaXTptcSc

View the full article

Interesting that they're taking the chance to go against the Lexus. Fortunately The Equus doesn't have a Klingon-forehead grille :P

no point to this being here

Why? People said the same about Lexus when they started, and look what they achieved in the US market.

Anyway, I don't like the exterior styling, I prefer the Genesis, but if the luxury is there people will go for it, just like they'll buy an Acura, except this is actually RWD.

Nice...and of course, GM won't have anything to compete with it. (The Lucerne and DTS are too dated)

They won't sell many, but I give them credit for trying. It will be interesting to see where the Genesis and Equus are in 10 years or so. No one took Lexus that seriously in 1989 and look where they were 10-15 years later. Hyundai could do the same, I have driven the Genesis 4.6, it is really good.

They won't sell many, but I give them credit for trying. It will be interesting to see where the Genesis and Equus are in 10 years or so. No one took Lexus that seriously in 1989 and look where they were 10-15 years later. Hyundai could do the same, I have driven the Genesis 4.6, it is really good.

Who knows, if GM wasn't f*cking around with more and more FWD generics, maybe they could build something like this for Buick or Cadillac in 10 years...

yeah because you'll buy one

Of course not, but if there are buyers for Lexus, FWD Cadillacs, Buicks with Hubcaps, and the X6, there will be buyers for this.

It just burns me when Fritz and GM make the comments about "Consumer Oriented" cars GM will make and "Consumer Driven" company GM will be. Yes burning Pontiac, FWD Cadillac, soldiering on old platforms, excessive badge engineering, etc. are really the right approach to build such a company and sell such a product range.

I think GM does not get what consumers want and how consumers can be driven with right products.

I laud Hyundai for its balls in such an environment to produce cars like these.

It just burns me when Fritz and GM make the comments about "Consumer Oriented" cars GM will make and "Consumer Driven" company GM will be. Yes burning Pontiac, FWD Cadillac, soldiering on old platforms, excessive badge engineering, etc. are really the right approach to build such a company and sell such a product range.

I think GM does not get what consumers want and how consumers can be driven with right products.

I laud Hyundai for its balls in such an environment to produce cars like these.

Yes, they are being gutsy...they seem to want to take on Lexus and Mercedes. More power to them, GM seems to have given up on that fight (the CTS is great, but you can't have only 1 car to take on the big leagues).

CTS was the right way forward. SRX and now the FWD DTS replacement and smaller FWD car rumors are more than 100 steps back. GM will get into chapter 7 not because of people's current perception, because of this excessively defensive stance it is adopting. When you are in corner and being attacked from all sides attack NOT defense is the best defense because there is no way out.

CTS was the right way forward. SRX and now the FWD DTS replacement and smaller FWD car rumors are more than 100 steps back. GM will get into chapter 7 not because of people's current perception, because of this excessively defensive stance it is adopting. When you are in corner and being attacked from all sides attack NOT defense is the best defense because there is no way out.

GM needs bold moves...not more of the same, more d*mn FWD rental cars.

Epic fail in the making....no one is going to buy a 60+k Hynundai in this market.....

Epic fail in the making....no one is going to buy a 60+k Hynundai in this market.....

since its not all the different than the Genesis. the interior also, from the photos does not look that great.

the S class is still the gold standard and to think someone would buy a HYundai, even to save money vs. an S Class. maybe they can justify the 3000 of them they will sell here a year.

hyundai is no stranger to overlap. the azera is about as useless as the Equus.

i also did not see AWD mentioned. Even BMW wised up and now the 7 series will be available with AWD.

The difference between Lexus and this is that Lexus had no image... Hyundai still has an image as selling cheap cars to the masses.

There's a reason why Lexus was created... to sell expensive Toyotas under a name other than Toyota. Hyundai thinks it can sell expensive cars under the same name they sell $10K cars for... I think they're terribly mistaken.

It looks low-market and cheap from the photos (relative to what it is going to try and sell for). If I had to guess what this thing MSRP's at, I would guess $30,000 tops. Maybe those pictures just aren't flattering.

People said no one would buy a $40,000 Hyundai, yet the Genesis has sold 9,938 units in 2009, the DTS has sold 8,110 and the STS has sold 3,914. The Genesis is selling fairly well, but more importantly it helps change Hyundai's brand image of only building cheap $10k cars. The Equus won't compete with the S-class, but it will take some Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac sales away. They might only sell 5,000 a year, but that could be enough to turn a profit on them.

The difference between Lexus and this is that Lexus had no image... Hyundai still has an image as selling cheap cars to the masses.

There's a reason why Lexus was created... to sell expensive Toyotas under a name other than Toyota. Hyundai thinks it can sell expensive cars under the same name they sell $10K cars for... I think they're terribly mistaken.

I agree. Witness the catastrophic failure of the Phaeton, even though it was a phenomenal car and better than its BMW and Mercedes competitors.

Phaeton immediately comes to mind.

This car is a bit of an over-reach for hyundai.

Likely to be less of a disaster than the Phaeton, though.

Looks good besides that stupid emblem on the hood.