Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Abandoned Detroit Packard Auto Plant Catches Fire [Detroit]

19 posts in this topic

Detroit's Packard Plant once built the finest automobiles in the world. It's been vacant for years. This spring, the security guards were finally pulled and as expected, looters pillaged it. Now the arsonists have moved in. Gallery below.

The fire began at around 6:45 PM in the north run of the Packard plant at Grand River and Concorde, it quickly gained volume, producing enormous clouds of noxious black smoke which hung low over the surrounding neighborhood. At least three different fire trucks responded to the scene and the area was quickly cordoned off by police, though onlookers flocked to see the nearly mile long structure belch thick smoke. The blaze was eventually put out, though it's only matter of time before this kind of thing happens again. Everything burns.

Packard_Fire_2.jpg

Packard_Fire_15.jpg

Packard_Fire_1.jpg

Packard_Fire_3.jpg

Packard_Fire_4.jpg

Packard_Fire_5.jpg

Packard_Fire_6.jpg

Packard_Fire_7.jpg

Packard_Fire_8.jpg

Packard_Fire_9.jpg

Packard_Fire_10.jpg

Packard_Fire_11.jpg

Packard_Fire_12.jpg

Packard_Fire_13.jpg

Packard_Fire_14.jpg

Packard_Fire_16.jpg

Packard_Fire_17.jpg

Packard_Fire_18.jpg

Packard_Fire_19.jpg
Packard_Fire_20.jpg

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=ZSASkup1Dv8:d3PM7cIV71A:D7DqB2pKE full?i=ZSASkup1Dv8:d3PM7cIV71A:V_sGLiPBp
ZSASkup1Dv8

View the full article

These idiots have no respect for our heritage and history. It's both aggravating and sad.

Who owns this factory? and why hasn't it been dozed

In Dayton we have dozed a few plants @ city & federal EPA cost manufactures abandon these plants & the cities end up owning the polluted mess. In the case of Packard they went bankrupt, well then again so goes GM & ChryCo.

They better be careful before the whole city of detroit goes up in flames.

Strange, LDS missionaries usually come in pairs, not 3's. Anyway, always sad to see something with such a rich history go to vandals like this. :(

IIRC, Ford bought the factory from Packard (Curtiss-Wright), then I thought the city owned it.

Frankly, as much as it pains me to say it, decades of decay here are not endearing me to the cause; it's far too large to save/convert, and no one has the money to. If it cannot be secured and roofed WRT preserving the structure (and it cannot), perhaps sawcut the 'main' section off for historical purposes and doze the rest, rather that see it further disgraced. It's getting close to 'too much time pased' at this point, IMO...

Edited by balthazar

only the tip of the iceberg. urban decay will become a huge problem all over.

'leaders' in this country could stand to scheme on how to restore vibrancy and prosperity to places that were once cities and neighborhoods.

alas, but it requires investment.

Maybe Detroit can eventually cash in on the tourism angle of their ruins, like Rome has with their ancient ruins. Detroit: See the Ruins of 20th Century Industrial Age America.

Maybe Detroit can eventually cash in on the tourism angle of their ruins, like Rome has with their ancient ruins. Detroit: See the Ruins of 20th Century Industrial Age America.

Not a bad idea, actually

Too bad you would have to wear a space suit to go and see a lot of this stuff so you dont breath in some of the toxic poisons around these places.

IIRC, Ford bought the factory from Packard (Curtiss-Wright), then I thought the city owned it.

Frankly, as much as it pains me to say it, decades of decay here are not endearing me to the cause; it's far too large to save/convert, and no one has the money to. If it cannot be secured and roofed WRT preserving the structure (and it cannot), perhaps sawcut the 'main' section off for historical purposes and doze the rest, rather that see it further disgraced. It's getting close to 'too much time pased' at this point, IMO...

I agree, something should be saved and preserved, but the factory is to large and to far gone to salvage. Your idea to preserve a main section and doze the rest is probably the best course of action, so at least something remains.

The problem is finding people who have the money and care enough to do so.

There has to be looking-for-work demo crews / equipment operators ... would it be feasable to offer some sort of 'future bond' payment tomm for work done today... or aren't there enough gullible government believers left to even bother?

Wasn't some part of the plant leased out to businesses until recently?

These idiots have no respect for our heritage and history. It's both aggravating and sad.

+1

Chris

Too bad you would have to wear a space suit to go and see a lot of this stuff so you dont breath in some of the toxic poisons around these places.

I read somewhere that Detroit is the most polluted city in North America.

Chris

here in south carolina we have a lot of textile mills that have shut down and are essentially abandoned. several of those historic buildings have been burned to the ground only to be a shell from careless people or vandals. its sad really. just 2 weeks ago the Packard plant had some publicity in the form of the history channel series, Life After People. they were showing detroit after being abandoned for 40 yrs.

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=Life_...tid=27296282001

the episode is road to nowhere

Usually Fires like this also are covering up a crime, I would not be surprised to see a dead body of two. Guess we need Bones to tell us if it is man or woman.

Sad about the history, but at this point to much decay and would be best to just destroy the place and let mother nature reclaim it till there is a real need for the land.

Maybe keep the over pass and turn it into a real pedestrian over pass with a plaque to the old company that was there.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0