Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: GM execs to reportedly meet with Toyota regarding hybrid sharing

6 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Green, Plants/Manufacturing, GM, Toyota, Rumormill

prius2010_rev000_opt.jpg
2010 Toyota Prius - Click above for high-res image gallery

Rumors that General Motors may get access to Toyota's proprietary hybrid technology just won't go away. Today, Bloomberg cites two unnamed sources in reports that Toyota President Akio Toyoda and GM chief Fritz Henderson will meet this August in Michigan to discuss the possibility of a GM-badged version of the Toyota Prius hybrid hatchback.

For the record, both General Motors and Toyota have repeatedly denied that any such talks have taken place in the past and have said it's unlikely that they ever will in the future. Many of these rumors indicate that the two automakers are considering building the Prius together at the New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated (NUMMI) joint venture in California, but GM has today announced that its involvement in NUMMI is over.

It remains a possibility that Toyota will fully take over the reigns at NUMMI to finally build the Prius in America, but even if that's the case, it's extremely unlikely that General Motors will have anything to do with the project in light of its own massive undertaking of readying the Chevrolet Volt for the market in 2011.

[source: Bloomberg]
Photos copyright ©2009 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.

GM execs to reportedly meet with Toyota regarding hybrid sharing originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=uP950tICd7E:QAMufuX4FTs:wF9xT autoblog?i=uP950tICd7E:QAMufuX4FTs:V_sGL
uP950tICd7E

View the full article

I really wonder if GM really would still go after this? It would be cheap and quickly done but I would rather see the investment in the Volt system since it is a much better system. Get Gen 2-3 out as soon as they can to make a much better Volt.

Or GM could take this platform and put a body on it that looks good and not like a science fair project. Give people who buy the Prius a chance to have good looks to go with their hybid.

Edited by hyperv6

If I was GM, I would rather go to Ford and get the impeccable Hybrid Tech of Fusion.

If I was GM, I would rather go to Ford and get the impeccable Hybrid Tech of Fusion.

+1

GM should not validate the prius when the fuel economy on one is only world beeting if you drive it in the city.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room