Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Chevy Camaro To Beat Ford Mustang In June Sales? [Muscle Car Wars]

16 posts in this topic

Camaro_V_Mustang.jpgAs the Muscle Car Wars continue, GM's struggling to meet demand for the new Chevy Camaro, with some buyers paying heavy premiums on sticker prices. Now GM even thinks it may catch Ford's new 2010 Mustang in monthly sales.

According to the General, the new Camaro is creating enough buzz to play a key role in GM's turnaround. It's obviously drawing showroom traffic with the new Transformers movie — no matter how awful it was. But GM thinks it's so hot it may even catch the Ford Mustang in monthly sales when it has enough available — no small feat given the 'stang sells with a drop-top model alongside the coupe and the Camaro's only got the coupe (not to mention there's not even a t-top version!).

Read our Camaro vs. Challenger vs. Mustang comparison!

GM sold 5,463 Camaros in May, the first month of the sporty car's revival, compared with 8,812 Mustangs sold by Ford. GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan says Camaro will be "right with Mustang on sales" by the end of June. Of course there's a lot of pent-up demand for the Camaro, so the question will be — even if Chevy does come out on top in the month of June, will that translate into long-term sales? If the Dodge Challenger and its steady burn of sales are any indication — Chrysler's sold 2,695 of the Dodge Challenger last month, and approximately 2,000 - 3,000 per month for the past 11 months — it may have at least some lasting volume.

We'll have to see who comes out on top in the long-run, but at the very least, pent-up demand will likely give the Mustang a run for the money this month and maybe the 'maro will even pick up the win. We'll have to wait until Thursday to find out.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=QnHkkGNoM4Y:VZQpt4I3CMs:D7DqB2pKE full?i=QnHkkGNoM4Y:VZQpt4I3CMs:V_sGLiPBp
QnHkkGNoM4Y

View the full article

Short-term sales boosts are expected with its introduction. Long-term, we shall see. It would be nice, but it doesn't mean everything. What would really be great is if it captured the female market over the Mustang.

Short-term sales boosts are expected with its introduction. Long-term, we shall see. It would be nice, but it doesn't mean everything. What would really be great is if it captured the female market over the Mustang.

It is good to see someone is paying attention!

Lets see what the Camaro demo's are in a year and just who is buying.

And 99% of the population doesn't get the hoopla over the Camaro since it came out nearly 6 years ago.

And 99% of the population doesn't get the hoopla over the Camaro since it came out nearly 6 years ago.

I seem to recall the Concept wasn't shown until Jan. 2006, how is that six years ago? Or does it only SEEM like six years to you?

Clyde

I seem to recall the Concept wasn't shown until Jan. 2006, how is that six years ago? Or does it only SEEM like six years to you?

Clyde

It just seems like a while, especially since the Challenger, which was show at the same time, went into production a year earlier. I think both cars are worth the wait, but yeah a lot of people have similar feeling about the Camaro taking longer.

It seems like its been that long. Typical GM stupidity, show the concept, then the "production" version a year later, then get it into showrooms 2 years after that.

It seems like its been that long. Typical GM stupidity, show the concept, then the "production" version a year later, then get it into showrooms 2 years after that.

True, but its worth it as long as it's made right, and sells good. So far its selling pretty good.

Clyde

Satty's given to rhetorical flourishes, specious statements and hyperbole.

Also, lets see what happens when Ford gets 2010 Mustangs on the lot.

The 2010 stangs are out and have been out. I just got off a road trip and saw 5-1 New stangs to Camaro's.

I know others have taken notice as they all say they hate the tail lights LOL.

Satty's given to rhetorical flourishes, specious statements and hyperbole.

despite gm's delay, the camaro is among the most distinctive, freshest, and most futuristic shapes on the road, if not THE most.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0