Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Economy, Hybrids/Alternative, Green, Hatchbacks, Honda, Carsumer Advocacy

maroon-insight-580-lead.jpg
2009 Honda Insight - Click above for high-res image gallery

Calling it "the most disappointing Honda Consumer Reports has tested in a long time," America's most influential product testing magazine has given extremely poor marks to the Japanese automaker's new Insight hybrid.

In a verdict that reminds us of a certain Jeremy Clarkson review (albeit more kindly worded), <I>Consumer Reports<I> blasted the gas-electric hatchback for its "ride quality, handling, interior noise, acceleration, rear-seat, access, and visibility," consigning the hapless Honda to a 21 out of 22 ranking among other small hatchbacks and wagons. Tallying a road test score of 54 points, it was trailed only by the widely panned Dodge Caliber, which managed just 49 points.

Despite the fact that it won't receive a much-coveted CR "Recommended" nod, the Insight still managed to post a "Good" overall road test score (largely on the strength of its 38 miles-per-gallon as-tested fuel economy). Regardless, it was comprehensively beaten by both the Volkswagen Jetta Wagon and the Hyundai Elantra Touring, which scored 80 and 79 points, respectively.

The Insight was the only vehicle in CR's test group to not to be Recommended, save Kia's Soul, which was excluded because the organization hasn't compiled any reliability data on the vehicle yet. Check out the press release after the jump.

[source: Consumer Reports]

Continue reading Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested

Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=17tcyfeRRgo:uI7vixvadQs:wF9xT autoblog?i=17tcyfeRRgo:uI7vixvadQs:V_sGL
17tcyfeRRgo

View the full article

Shocking. I thought Hondas automatically got the highest marks from CR.

The Insight is $2K less than the Civic Hybrid, but feels about $5K worse.

Now this is the sort of "less is more" hybrid that people are passionate about buying...

honda-cr-z.jpg

Actually I am suprised, it runs circles around the new Prius, looks much better, actually tries to involve the driver and costs less. CR sucks.

The Insight is $2K less than the Civic Hybrid, but feels about $5K worse.

Now this is the sort of "less is more" hybrid that people are passionate about buying...

honda-cr-z.jpg

the crz pics i've seen are hot.

the insight to me is like a cheap chinese korean prius attempt. and honestly some hondas like the accord kind of have been taking on this cheesy feel to them.

honda did what honda was not supposed to . it tried to copy something else. usually honda's own take brings something more fully realized.

i think the average hybrid buyer who is cost conscious though will still like the INsight. I think CR is on a witch hunt.

That said, the Elantra Touring is a fabulous package. Too pricey, but far more desirable than something like an insight.

Every review I've seen of the Insight has been negative, from Jeremy Clarkson (who was surely going to hate it), to AutoLine TV, and now CR. Very surprising.

I knew there was some reason I kinda like the Insight. Now if it could just still be had with a 5-speed... :)

Edited by fightingbee

Actually I am suprised, it runs circles around the new Prius, looks much better, actually tries to involve the driver and costs less. CR sucks.

+1

Although seeing this thing in the flesh has made me think about voting Repuiblican, seriously...

I can't stand the thought of a nation full of bland cars like these....

Chris