NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: California Lawmakers Spend $400K On Luxury Hybrids During Budget Crisis [Carpocalypse]

12 posts in this topic

California_Hybrids.jpgThe State of California is nearly broke, overwhelmed by expenses and shrinking tax revenues, yet they're paying eight lawmakers to drive around in $400,000 worth of fancy-pants, expensive luxury hybrids.

According to a report by the LA Times, the cash-strapped state pays a monthly allowance to California state legislators for car expenses. This comes to about $3.2 million over the last three years. To top it off, a whopping eight of the ten most expensive legislator cars are hybrids. And not just any hybrids. Half are Lexus or Chevy SUV hybrids that cost upwards of $45,000 each.

The state did vote to cut the allowance by 18%. But wouldn't that money be better spent on rail within the state rather than token environmentalist plays by politicians? Some of Amtrak's busiest and highest revenue-generating train lines are within California and four of them pass through Sacramento. Maybe the legislators should be taking Amtrak rather than driving on the taxpayer dime in this time of crisis?

Lawmakers_Amount.jpg[Los Angeles Times via Straightline]

Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=KQ5jAiXaY78:oT7gT0avgvQ:D7DqB2pKE full?i=KQ5jAiXaY78:oT7gT0avgvQ:V_sGLiPBp
KQ5jAiXaY78

View the full article

Question 1: do they transport other people on a regular basis and thus need a large capacity vehicle? (I highly doubt they need off-road capability...)

Question 2: If the answer to Q1 is yes, do they put enough miles on the vehicles to justify the expense of the hybrid option?

These vehicles *might* be justified, though I'm having my doubts.

Q1 - No, they are their "personal" vehicles with SPECIAL licenceplates CA DMV LINK

Q2 - doubtful that they drive that many miles. They usually fly where they want to go. They all need to be issued an Impala or similar vehicle if they are too cheap to pay for it themselves.

Q1 - No, they are their "personal" vehicles with SPECIAL licenceplates CA DMV LINK

Q2 - doubtful that they drive that many miles. They usually fly where they want to go. They all need to be issued an Impala or similar vehicle if they are too cheap to pay for it themselves.

You're probably right for the most part, though they could be hauling family around sometimes, or people they're schmoozing with. I don't want to assume... even though it's probably safe to assume that they don't need vehicles this big, inefficient (in spite of being hybrids), or expensive, especially on the taxpayer dime.

I don't believe there is a Lexus LX 400 hybrid...

the hybrid adds 50. it's just a hybrid LX350, no?

1. the STS isn't a hybrid.... just tops the chart evidently.

I agree it seems too much to spend on a public official's ride. they should prolly just drive "old", never crashed, cop cars. good enough for cops, good enough for state senators. unless of course they hire a chauffeur... prolly some of them do, more wasted money on the public's dime....?

:nono: Personally all gov employees should be driving Chevy Colbolts as they do not need anything fancy to get their job done.

:nono: Personally all gov employees should be driving Chevy Colbolts as they do not need anything fancy to get their job done.

+1000.

Should also be mandated that no taxpayer car-buying funds go to foreign manufacturers.

Arnold has a Tesla; therefore, state CA lawmakers should get either a Vibe, Tacoma, or Corolla.

the hybrid adds 50. it's just a hybrid LX350, no?

What I mean is, the LX line is the rebadged Land Cruiser. AFAIK they never put a hybrid system in there.

RX is the jellybean CUV that has the hybrid system.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead