Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I shouldn't even be considering this... (Part II)

I came across this 1957 Pontiac Safari and was curious about the value. Production appears to be about 1,300...running a 400 with TH400. Headliner needs work and it's missing a chrome piece on the back, but overall it appears solid.

69501915.jpg

58849596.jpg

24675424.jpg

26472361.jpg

16272537.jpg

29471144.jpg

15339345.jpg

51387223.jpg

40564674.jpg

28434519.jpg

54604028.jpg

49958711.jpg

60590189.jpg

It's worth whatever sexual acts you have to perform and whatever organs you ahve to sell.

One of the Junkyards up here (JC radiator on Williams) had two of these before they crushed both of them...and yes they were both Pontiac Safari's...

Chris

RE: the motor - too much looks too new to be the original, IMO. Decal / air cleaner are meaningless, but the head & water pump design look post mid-'60s vs. pre. Also running an alternator vs. a generator (switch-over was '61 or '62 IIRC). Have to check the block & date codes.

Car looks fantastic, IMO, beautiful project start. Paint looks VG, too. God, I love these P-57s !! Safari is right behind the Bonne & the SC convert for desirability.

I would guesstimate --if the rest of the car is inline condition-wise with the pics, that a fair asking price would start between $15K & $20K... but as the '57 is so much rarer.. maybe more. Have seen a 'show-winning' '56 w/ aftermarket wires & a 400/TH400 asking $42K...

Thanks 4 the link, BP.

>>>"The Division took the idea to the Fisher Body Division for costing. Naturally, as in the regular station wagon bodies produced, the greater volume used brought lower prices. Since Pontiac shared the Chevy wagon, Fisher wanted to know if Pontiac management was interested in the Nomad body."<<<

Fascinating : we really know just the cursory basics on how GM operated.

I think most assumed Fisher did as it was told, but here Fisher is pitching a 'Safari' at Pontiac, and having a large hand in setting the price of these models. This is the type of info I would love to learn the details about, the heirarchy, the money flow, the legality, etc. There was a LOT more to it that most people think.... was it 'justified' or a byproduct of years of complexity ?? I doubt this degree of detail will be revealed...

VERY nice car!

You could make that an EXTREMELY nice car with a little bit of $$$.

Re: the crushing.

A tow yard here gets classics in pretty regularly. Right now they have a 2 door '59 Impala.

It's in rough shape (as were the others) but hopefully they're not stupid enough to crush it.

• 2 weeks later...
Has the given you a number yet?

It's listed for $21k. It was on eBay and didn't meet reserve a while back...and it got up to like $20,300 or something like that.

The guy finally wrote back with the owner's phone number and said make an offer. It's on the West Coast so there would be shipping involved too.

Work has been busy so I haven't had a chance to call. Still thinking about all this...

Tailgate chrome and headliner look are the same as a Nomad, so needless to say: Parts are available easily.

YOU SHOULD BE CONSIDERING THIS.

Now, I also know a little about the car: It was in California near LA 3 years ago with the original motor in it and it had a bad cylinder in it, which explains the newer motor that is in it's place. I almost bought this car with it's bad motor three years ago for $13,000. They are just beauties, and they are seldom seen at car shows and events - so you won't be another ME TOO Nomad...not that that would be a bad thing.

Buy it. I would offer around $14,500-15,000 (these are out there - check last months Hemmings they showed one at a car corral for sale in the low teens) You will not regret it. And if the motor is junk - slap in a built 400 or 455 Poncho motor and have some fun.

Tailgate chrome and headliner look are the same as a Nomad, so needless to say: Parts are available easily.

YOU SHOULD BE CONSIDERING THIS.

Now, I also know a little about the car: It was in California near LA 3 years ago with the original motor in it and it had a bad cylinder in it, which explains the newer motor that is in it's place. I almost bought this car with it's bad motor three years ago for $13,000. They are just beauties, and they are seldom seen at car shows and events - so you won't be another ME TOO Nomad...not that that would be a bad thing.

Buy it. I would offer around $14,500-15,000 (these are out there - check last months Hemmings they showed one at a car corral for sale in the low teens) You will not regret it. And if the motor is junk - slap in a built 400 or 455 Poncho motor and have some fun.

So what was the condition then? Did it have the headliner issues then or is that a new development? I'm assuming they were trying to take the torsion bars out and didn't put it back together...but I need boots on the ground to check this out in person -- hence the idea of dispatching someone local to do an inspection. Trying to get a cost on that.

Where's the '57 at geographically, BP?

I have done a vintage car inspection before ('59 Olds), but unless it's within 1 hr from me, I just don't have the time to do one; work is pressing like a 2-ton gorilla....

Oregon.

East Coast would make this much easier! I sent an e-mail to the guy who covers that area from that appraiser network to see what they do and what it would cost. I'd like a real sense as to what kind of shape the car is in and what work it needs to be put on the road so I could drive it. Is it just the headliner and are all the interior trim pieces in the car, etc. Could have mechanical or floor issues, etc even though the ad *said* drive it away :rolleyes:

Plan A would be to fix the headliner, find a used bar for the tailgate (already found a set for $50), replace the ugly @ss wheels, and clean it up and put it on the road and start driving it. And my dog would be allowed in this one! Long range I'd need to think a little more...

I hear ya on the work thing...but there are far worse problems in this economy...getting a new toy may be my best option to compensate.

Tangent: the first thing I sold on eBay : I saw a set of NOS "PONTIAC" letters, billed as 'early '60s' IIRC.

Bought them for $17, ID'd them as '57 decklid lettering by the part #s, flipped them for an even $100 and shipped them out in the same box.

Yeah- I should be grateful for the work (booked thru the end of the year if 75% of it comes thru... 3 years now with zero advertising... but I am SWAMPED. I should learn to say 'no' I suppose. And I AM grateful... but it gets stressful trying to juggle it all....

So what was the condition then? Did it have the headliner issues then or is that a new development? I'm assuming they were trying to take the torsion bars out and didn't put it back together...but I need boots on the ground to check this out in person -- hence the idea of dispatching someone local to do an inspection. Trying to get a cost on that.

From what I recall three years ago, the headliner was not mentioned at all, and there was a stain or discoloration on the front seat. The paint was newer at the time it was being offered.

Such a beautiful car. FYI: I have seen a very nice 57 Safari in Goodguys Gazette sell for only $29,000 and it was airbagged, had two sets of wheels, was arrest me red and damned near perfect. And it was slow selling - as it was in multiple issues classified sections.

From what I recall three years ago, the headliner was not mentioned at all, and there was a stain or discoloration on the front seat. The paint was newer at the time it was being offered.

Such a beautiful car. FYI: I have seen a very nice 57 Safari in Goodguys Gazette sell for only $29,000 and it was airbagged, had two sets of wheels, was arrest me red and damned near perfect. And it was slow selling - as it was in multiple issues classified sections.

Did you see it in-person or just an ad?

The only one I found in Hemmings was a '56 from their 2009 Spring Carlisle coverage (Aug issue). Their comment was "priced reasonably at $24,000".

Finally got more information from the owner:

• He's owned it for 5 or 6 years
  • Repainted 3 years ago
  • He purchased it with the current drive train in it in Oregon
  • Needs carpet, headliner, chrome redone, wheels/tires updated
  • It's under deposit

So appraisal on hold. Apparently the prospective buyer has been dragging his feet, so he's giving him until Tuesday. He told me to call back then and if things haven't improved he'll punt the guy and give him back his money.

Edited by BigPontiac

• 2 weeks later...

Made connections with the owner yesterday, he expected to hear back from the guy with the deposit by Tuesday and hasn't heard anything. SO, he said consider the car for sale. However, the pre-buy inspector can't get out there until next weekend. So I wait....and the other guy could, in theory, get his act together before then...so who knows.

Flag on the play. Owner can't find the keys to the car -- needs to call a locksmith to open it and make new keys. Inspection pushed off until that all happens, which cancels the planned weekend inspection.

This is becoming quite the saga! More waiting...

Edited by BigPontiac

The final installment...I'll let the inspector's e-mail tell the story:

I called this guy again this morning. Got no answer but he called back and left a rambling message about how you better forget about this car. First it was that he had caught someone stealing parts from it - then it was how he couldn't sell it because he didn't know how many or what parts had been taken. Then by the end of the message he was saying that the guy who had previously given him a deposit has now sent the balance of the money.

I thought his excuse last week was kind of lame. My impression - total flake and that you are probably lucky not to have spent anything to get involved with him.

Game. Set. Match.