Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Officially Official: BMW reveals 2011 X1, confirms sales in the States

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Frankfurt Auto Show, Hybrids/Alternative, SUVs, Euro, Crossovers/CUVs, BMW

096-2011-bmw-x1-off-580op.jpg
2011 BMW X1 - Click above for a massive high-res image gallery

As expected after this morning's initial leakage, BMW has released a staggering amount of images of the 2011 BMW X1 showing the brand's new soft-roader in every conceivable environment before its officially revealed at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show.

Along with the pics, BMW put out a brief statement (below the fold) confirming the X1's arrival in the U.S. sometime in 2011 and its plans to offer both rear-wheel and all-wheel drive (xDrive) versions, along with "a wide variety of gasoline and diesel powertrain choices." BMW won't officially confirm what mils will make the trip across the Atlantic, but the automaker says the X1 will use its EfficientDynamics system and that one gasoline engine and three diesels will be available when the X1 launches in Europe this fall. Check out all 183 high-res images in the gallery below and expect official U.S. market information to be released closer to the X1's launch in the States.

Gallery: 2011 BMW X1

001-2011-bmw-x1-off_thumbnail.jpg002-2011-bmw-x1-off_thumbnail.jpg003-2011-bmw-x1-off_thumbnail.jpg004-2011-bmw-x1-off_thumbnail.jpg005-2011-bmw-x1-off_thumbnail.jpg

Continue reading Officially Official: BMW reveals 2011 X1, confirms sales in the States

Officially Official: BMW reveals 2011 X1, confirms sales in the States originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 01 Jul 2009 21:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=r0fGwfGyhDQ:9ZeTaTtdmvY:wF9xT autoblog?i=r0fGwfGyhDQ:9ZeTaTtdmvY:V_sGL
r0fGwfGyhDQ

View the full article

So BMW is going for every product niche out there. The styling on this is OK, though the headlights are too big and bug-eyed and the back (as in many new cars these days) has some proportion problems. The interior is also typical BMW booooooring.

It has the grill of an SV6 Montana. And the tail lights look ridiculously similar to the ones on the Q5. Looks like a funky, youth-market activelifestylemobile compared to the serious X5.

I do like the interior..

Edited by empowah

I find the foreground/background models highly distracting.

In fact, I couldn't tell you what this thing looked like. :wacko:

That body style reminds me of the last generation Hyundai Santa Fe.

The interior looks pretty nice. Otherwise, I'm not a fan.

this strikes me as more station wagon than CUV or whatever. Would look better if they'd styled it as a station wagon. Proportions don't feel right.

I think it is a fairly attractive vehicle, inside and out. Coming from me, that's a rare opinion of a BMW. I am curious what the "competition" for this is...and which "class" it is. BMW version of a Vibe? Being that it is a BMW, I'm sure much like the 1 series it is based on, it will be ridiculously overpriced, no matter how nice it is...

Meh, another BMW crossover.

I wonder how big it is relative to the X3...hard to tell from the pics.

BMW makes their own best poseur vehicles now.

BMW still has to cater to the crowd that maybe used to buy 3 series convertibles as their first car after they got their drivers license and sorority pin or whatever.

You'd think at some point BMW would try to make a competitive 7 series, or not try to make 10 versions of the mini.

this will prob be one of the vehicles rumored for a 3 cylinder engine down the pike.

SRX looks mighty nice compared to this.

Edited by regfootball

I predict this thing will sell like hotcakes to women.

Well, it is much better looking than the X3.

Well, it is much better looking than the X3.

The bar was set pretty low.

Wouldn't want to own one, but IMHO they did a decent job on the whole package.

Chris

I don't know. Nice body, but the glasses ruin it for me.

I predict this thing will sell like hotcakes to women.

Agreed, women will love it. Lots of CR-V and Rav4 drivers are going to upgrade to this thing. And it will sell in Europe too because of its small size and utility.

funny. BMW is supposed to be a company for purists, based on the awesome (i.e. overpriced) 3 series and 5 series, but BMW sure has been going to great lengths to fill their lineup with everything besides sport sedans. Minis, SUV's, etc. And GM was too many things to too many people?

Is the X1 BMW's Vibe? than the X3 most be the Torrent.

Yeah, whoever said this was going to sell big to women upgrading from rav4's etc. hit the nail on the head. There's a lot more room for shopping bags in the back of an X1 than say, the trunk of a 3 series convertible.

funny. BMW is supposed to be a company for purists, based on the awesome (i.e. overpriced) 3 series and 5 series, but BMW sure has been going to great lengths to fill their lineup with everything besides sport sedans. Minis, SUV's, etc. And GM was too many things to too many people?

Is the X1 BMW's Vibe? than the X3 most be the Torrent.

Yeah, whoever said this was going to sell big to women upgrading from rav4's etc. hit the nail on the head. There's a lot more room for shopping bags in the back of an X1 than say, the trunk of a 3 series convertible.

At least BMWs of all stripes still retain RWD, thus they have legitimacy and purity, IMHO.

The Mini is their only FWD model, and it's a separate brand, and it's been successful as a premium subcompact.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

At least BMWs of all stripes still retain RWD, thus they have legitimacy and purity, IMHO.

The Mini is their only FWD model, and it's a separate brand, and it's been successful as a premium subcompact.

I couldn't have said it better ... :P

well in that case, GM has at least 3 brands with RWD, four if you count GMC. So they must be 4 times as legitmate as BMW.

correction, 5 if you include saturn. 7 actually including hummer and saab but i dont think the 97x had rwd only, H3 also i think all awd.....

yup legitimate to the target customer. the girl in the photo on top. the RWD means about as much to her as the bottled water and fashion bag she is holding.

anyone taking bets on the curb weight of a fully optioned X1?

Edited by regfootball

anyone taking bets on the curb weight of a fully optioned X1?

3300-3400 lbs. Which is not bad.