NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Cadillac DTS to be replaced by XTS, which will be built in Canada alongside new Buick Regal

135 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Plants/Manufacturing, Cadillac

cts-v-grille-580.jpg

The days of Cadillac's big DTS sedan are numbered as the plant that builds it will soon be shut down and re-tooled. The Detroit Hamtramck assembly plant that builds the DTS and Buick Lucerne will switch over to building the Chevy Volt in 2010 and the current products are both long in the tooth.

The National Post is reporting that the new Cadillac flagship will be dubbed XTS and will be produced at the Oshawa assembly plant. It will be built alongside an updated Chevrolet Impala, the new Camaro and the Buick Regal. The DTS is a front-wheel drive car, but the XTS is expected to the share the Epsilon II platform with the Regal and the new Impala. As such, it will likely get all-wheel-drive at least as an option. For its part, the Regal will likely be a re-badged version of the Opel Insignia. The report goes on to say that Oshawa will produce a hybrid version of one of those offerings - a gas-electric Regal model is a reasonable bet.

Earlier reports had pegged the next Cadillac sedan as a model that would supplant both the DTS and the slow-selling STS, and although the NatPost article does not speak to this, it is reasonable to assume that the new XTS will result in the phase-out of both model lines. The new model line was reportedly put on hold back in August of last year, but it apparently has once again been given the go-ahead.

The XTS is scheduled to be launched in December 2011, with the new Impala coming in early 2013. Thanks to Ben for the tip!

[source: The National Post]

REPORT: Cadillac DTS to be replaced by XTS, which will be built in Canada alongside new Buick Regal originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Zznpw9WraEI:vW6qbN40fjo:wF9xT autoblog?i=Zznpw9WraEI:vW6qbN40fjo:V_sGL
Zznpw9WraEI

View the full article

Here what was posted on Autoblog. It gives some insight on where GM is moving on the larger cars.

The days of Cadillac's big DTS sedan are numbered as the plant that builds it will soon be shut down and re-tooled. The Detroit Hamtramck assembly plant that builds the DTS and Buick Lucerne will switch over to building the Chevy Volt in 2010 and the current products are both long in the tooth.

The National Post is reporting that the new Cadillac flagship will be dubbed XTS and will be produced at the Oshawa assembly plant. It will be built alongside an updated Chevrolet Impala, the new Camaro and the Buick Regal. The DTS is a front-wheel drive car, but the XTS is expected to the share the Epsilon II platform with the Regal and the new Impala. As such, it will likely get all-wheel-drive at least as an option. For its part, the Regal will likely be a re-badged version of the Opel Insignia. The report goes on to say that Oshawa will produce a hybrid version of one of those offerings – a gas-electric Regal model is a reasonable bet.

Earlier reports had pegged the next Cadillac sedan as a model that would supplant both the DTS and the slow-selling STS, and although the NatPost article does not speak to this, it is reasonable to assume that the new XTS will result in the phase-out of both model lines. The new model line was reportedly put on hold back in August of last year, but it apparently has once again been given the go-ahead.

The XTS is scheduled to be launched in December 2011, with the new Impala coming in early 2013.

Edited by hyperv6

As long as it's FWD, XTS hardly qualifies as a flagship for Cadillac. Sorry.

Lets face it the CTS and the SRX are the Volume vehicles and the face of Cadillac. I would assume it will contiue to do so on the Alpha how ever it end up with RWD. The STS and DTS have never done much for Cadillacs image. Good cars but not the ones people think of first with Cadillac.

But lets not count out the what this cars can be. Lets see what it has to offer. In the future FWD will come back just due to the CAFE rules in many cars. AWD would make this an accpetable car for a luxury car.

The bottom line is lets see what they can do before we rule anything out. Lets face it who would have ever considered that a V6 Cadillac would be one of the best cars they have offered in years.

Edited by hyperv6

Lets face it the CTS and the SRX are the Volume vehicles and the face of Cadillac. I would assume it will contiue to do so on the Alpha how ever it end up with RWD. The STS and DTS have never done much for Cadillacs image. Good cars but not the ones people think of first with Cadillac.

But lets not count out the what this cars can be. Lets see what it has to offer. In the future FWD will come back just due to the CAFE rules in many cars. AWD would make this an accpetable car for a luxury car.

The bottom line is lets see what they can do before we rule anything out. Lets face it who would have ever considered that a V6 Cadillac would be one of the best cars they have offered in years.

Sorry, I'm just not buying it. If Caddy wants to compete with Acura and Lincoln, fine. Phase out the world class CTS in favor of a SWB Epsilon II and complete the regression. But if Caddy wants to be taken seriously as "The Standard of the World", then it needs to abandon this FWD crap, because no BMW or MB buyer will ever consider a FWD Caddy.

Agreed, Z.

Once again, GM aims for the mundane middle with nothing compelling about the goal.

When you aim for that, it hardly matters how well you execute.

If they can't set themselves apart from what already exists, they are doomed.

You are correct sir.

FWD Cadillac Flagship?

7 years before an update to the Impala?

:nono:

I am willing to wait and see. So is the Regal the same as the one they currently have in China? Also I am interested in seeing how this Cadillac XTS will turn out, and I am hoping for an AWD and eight cylinder option. The 2013 Impala sounds promising but that is a LONG ways off.

I am willing to wait and see. So is the Regal the same as the one they currently have in China? Also I am interested in seeing how this Cadillac XTS will turn out, and I am hoping for an AWD and eight cylinder option. The 2013 Impala sounds promising but that is a LONG ways off.

+1

Wait and see is my mantra ar this point.....

+1

Wait and see is my mantra ar this point.....

The smart thing to do is to wait and see what they have to offer before panning.

FWD has never hurt Audi.

Rabbit_0.jpg

Even with three car brands, I'm sensing redundancy.

What's the point of a LWB Epsilon II Impala when there's a LWB Epsilon II LaCrosse?

I get having a Regal alongside a Malibu, because some people don't want a common Chevy, but as you approach the larger vehicle classes, the 2014 Impala will already be "Buick" nice.

And also, I'm not completed opposed to a front-drive-based flagship sedan, so long as Caddy "disguises" it with kick ass styling and engineering. Audi does it with the A8. But Epsilon II? That's too narrow.

Let's see... what's the most powerful engine that GM can fit into a transverse setup (in terms of HP/torque)? And what transversely-designed transmissions do they have that can handle the power?

I ask because my preliminary answers to both are the LS4 and the 6T75.

Now my three questions are:

1 - Can EpsilonII fit the LS4?

2 - Can the LS4 even be mated with the six-speed transmission?

3 - Is this a good idea in the first place?

This just doesn't sound right in too many ways, so I consider this a rather dubious rumor at most...

Edited by aldw

They have not Screwed up the CTS did they?

The new SRX smaller and no V8 has so far has become the press favorite over the Lexus who it the standard of the class.

The V8 is a minor player in the future. We will be lucky if they have a smaller V8 for the Vette and pick up in the future that may be shared here. I would expect to see a Twin Turbo DOHC DI V6 here.

Cadillac is a player in the mid to lower end of BMW and Benz Cadillac is not about V12 or 700 HP in the future and even the Germans will be cutting back too. The future is about regs that will make tougher to meet with the present power and large size cars. The present admin in Washington like em or hate em has a agenda that will make the big and powerful fade away or priced out of the range we can afford.

I do not see this as a flag ship but I do see a place for a good reliable luxury car. This is the kind of car that is compitent but not a caynon carver.

As for sharing GM has done well with platform sharing but not badge engineering. Keep in mind Cadillac will have things like advanced turbos and Haldex AWD etc.

Before we condem anything let find out what we are really condeming first. It is a little short sighted to get to bend out of shape yet.

The SRX on paper did not look like it was all that big of a deal and now that it is here it is so much better than the old one and now better than the compitition.

Cadillac need to fill out the line up with good cars before it can compete with the top end BMW and Benz. Let see how they do with the next few models before we get them to go up town. Also let see how others may deal with the new reg that are coming. You may not like what they have to do either.

The Cadillac brand might as well just be killed as well if GM isn't going to make it a truly premium brand. Chevy and Buick-GMC it is.

Epsilon II Cadillac flagship? What a sad, sad joke.:nono:

Meh. Sad. So much for Cadillac becoming a world class competitive brand. More f*cking FWD rental cars.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead