Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Next-gen Porsche 911 sporting double-bubble roof

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Frankfurt Auto Show, Spy Photos, Sports/GTs, Porsche

01-next-gen-911-kgp-july-580op.jpg
2011 Porsche 911 - Click above for a high-res image gallery of spy shots

With every iteration of the 911, Porsche makes incremental improvements to its iconic sports car and naturally, the next generation will be no exception.

This latest 911 prototype was caught at the Nurburgring sporting 997 sheetmetal, but it's what's on top and out back that deserves note. A double-bubble roof panel has been fitted, while underneath the rear camouflage is a sizeable wing and additional ducting. Look closely and you'll see a small sill at the base of the rear windscreen that's assumed to be feeding the rear-mounted flat-six - likely necessary keep the boxer cool while Porsche engineers figure out how the new contoured roof affects aerodynamics. If previous reports are to be believed, we can expect the next 911 to debut sometime in 2010, but we wouldn't rule out an appearance at the Frankfurt Motor Show this September.

Spy Shots: Next-gen Porsche 911 sporting double-bubble roof originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:44:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=6yx8e0pSOU4:PGBamcXZHzk:wF9xT autoblog?i=6yx8e0pSOU4:PGBamcXZHzk:V_sGL
6yx8e0pSOU4

View the full article

They are subtle...the Porsche 911/997 is a cool car, but I prefer the 70's and 80's air cooled 911's myself.

There is however that small problem of lift throttle oversteer.

Methinks a Z06 would be more fun to drive fast and hard.

Chris

Is this "double bubble" roof supposed to address the handling problem somehow ??

Not so sure that they are designed to address anything. I was just stating my prefrence for earlier 911's and the preference for the Corvette over the 911.

Chris

...and I guess I also wasn't clear that I think the "bubbles" detract from the looks of the car.

They got it right in the 60's 70's and 80's, IMHO. Every change since then has been a detraction.

Chris

What handling problems?

Well, the thing is, Porsche has been stubborn and worked on basically the same exact car for what? 40-50 years? They have managed to get a car with a poor layout from an engineering standpoint to handle quite well. I suppose they deserve some kind of recognition for their determination. They even manage to keep the same basic design somewhat fresh, although lacking in originality...

The problem is, it is still, and will always be an inefficient design. When they developed the mid-engined cayman it wasn't long until they had to detune and reevaluate the performance as it was quite easily stepping on/smashing the 911's toes.

I'm sure we will always see the 911 in some form or another...rehashed from the same philosophy from when it was born. Purists may bitch and moan...maybe it is what makes the 911 so special, but there is no doubt it would be a much better performing car if it was mid-engined.

Dodgefan - >>"What handling problems?"<<

66stang - >>"There is however that small problem of lift throttle oversteer."<<

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0