2010 Buick Allure (LaCrosse) in person

!!!TED!!!

So the Lucerne dies, and a Regal and Delta II sedan come in priced below the $27,000 LaCrosse, and Buick then has three $20 something sedans, and is moving down market from where they are now. But I suppose that opens the door for the coming front drive Cadillacs that will be sold in the $35-40k price range and Cadillac will compete with Lincoln and low end Lexus, Buick will compete with Mercury. So nothing has improved for Buick or Cadillac in the past 15-20 years.

Well you have to remember, there won't be Pontiac in those price ranges now, so Buick has room to slide down a bit ...

Well you have to remember, there won't be Pontiac in those price ranges now, so Buick has room to slide down a bit ...

Yes, with Pontiac and Saturn out of the picture, Chevy and Buick will have to share the load to support Avis, Enterprise and other customers in the midsize FWD market.

not

even

true

I sat in it just a few minutes ago! GM has a mall tour, and was at Sherway Gardens (big local mall) today. No test drive event, but they had a (base?) silver Allure, red CTS wagon (!!!) and a Traverse.

They were just wrapping up, and the cars were locked, but the rep let me take a peek. He said the CTS wagon was being shown for the first time in Toronto, and before 3 days ago, he had never seen one in person.

INTERIOR VIDEO:

ALLURE AND CTS WAGON VIDEO:

Interior is soft touch and very well put together!

PICS:

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

The car looks great, but I hate the fact that it's available in a base CX version with those cheap looking plastic wheel covers and no foglights. Buick is supposed to be an upmarket brand. There should be no cheap looking Chevy spec base models. When is GM going to get this straight. They do not need more than one affordable mainstream brand. They should be expanding Chevrolet to make up for the loss of Saturn and Pontiac, not taking Buick downmarket. Buick should be equipped, positioned, and priced to appeal to an entirely different demographic than Chevrolet, not stripped down and priced to be a fancier alternative. This isn't a strategy that will develop any prestige in the Buick brand.

The car looks great, but I hate the fact that it's available in a base CX version with those cheap looking plastic wheel covers and no foglights.

The CX is probably the fleet version for Avis/etc to replace their G6s. I think those are cheap looking steel or aluminum wheels, though, not wheel covers---you can see the brakes through them. They look like something for a Cobalt or Impala, though.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The CX is probably the fleet version for Avis/etc to replace their G6s. I think those are cheap looking steel or aluminum wheels, though, not wheel covers---you can see the brakes through them. They look like something for a Cobalt or Impala, though.

That annoys me. I'm tired of seeing the IDENTICAL wheels on so many GM products. At least add an extra spoke so it doesn't look like 90% of Chevy's wheels.

You are probably right. I might have been mistaken saying wheelcover.

I have always had issues with the cheap wheels or covers on base models.

GM could upgrade the base wheels to a better or more expensive looking combo makes for a much better precieved vehicle.

You can dress a homeless person in a expensive suit and even make him acceptable to a wider crowd. The same goes for a car.

According to the "Features & Specs: Exterior" page on the Buick website, the CX trim level comes standard with 17" High Vent Steel wheels with Flush Cover. 17" Machined Alloy wheels are optional. I would hope that the wheels in the pictures are not the optional wheels because they sure are cheap looking. I do understand why you are questioning whether they are wheel covers or genuine alloys since the brakes are visible. Either way, the wheels or wheel covers are a cheap looking disgrace and disservice to the Buick name. GM should be ashamed to put these inappropriate looking things on a Buick.

Beats me. :unsure:

The "Allure" name sounds a bit too effeminate for this car. Just my opinion. Buick has a wealth of former model names that could have been applied to this car. There was no reason to continue with the "LaCrosse" or "Allure" names in the North American market. I could understand continuing with the "LaCrosse" name in China since the current Chinese LaCrosse was one of the models that aided Buick with its expansion in that market. I don't think that the "LaCrosse" and "Allure" names have that much equity or recognition in the North American market.

The "Allure" name sounds a bit too effeminate for this car. Just my opinion. Buick has a wealth of former model names that could have been applied to this car. There was no reason to continue with the "LaCrosse" or "Allure" names in the North American market. I could understand continuing with the "LaCrosse" name in China since the current Chinese LaCrosse was one of the models that aided Buick with its expansion in that market. I don't think that the "LaCrosse" and "Allure" names have that much equity or recognition in the North American market.

Personally, I would have kept the Invicta name. Why name your concept after a real car (more, a name from Buick's own history), only to change the name to something else?

Personally, I would have kept the Invicta name. Why name your concept after a real car (more, a name from Buick's own history), only to change the name to something else?

I liked the Invicta name too. It was something old that was new again. Past generations would remember it and new generations have no clue of it being an old car since so few are left.

I never liked Lacrosse.

I completely agree. The decision not to call the production version "Invicta" was a totally illogical move by GM.

I believe the exposed exhaust tips in the rear bumper are CXS model only. While viewing the youtube vids in this thread, I came across one from a dealership in the US (by the sound of the guys accent) that shows a CX, CXL, and CXS. Only the CXS has the dual exhaust outlets.

I have no issue with Buick offering cloth seats (CX model), but why cheapen the exterior with those wheels. It lowers the image of the whole line. Same with the dual exhaust outlets, should be standard across the line.

With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. I like the looks, but need to see it in 3 dimensions to cast final judgement.

I hate cheap wheels and I really don't like the cloth option. I agree that Buick is still being dragged to downmarket. The CX trim level should really go. Here are some fantastic pics...

These pics are on a CXL. Please note the fog lamps, optional chrome wheels, and side-mirror puddle lamps.

lacrosse_fd006.jpg

lacrosse_fd007.jpg

Edited by titan

Here is a NICE looking exterior pic of a CX exterior, inlike the CX exterior pics we've been discussing recently. It is shown with the optional alloy wheels on this car. Note that this car is clearly a CX because all CXLs and CXSs are with foglamps as standard equipment. Note that this car also doesn't have the puddle lamps on the outside mirrors. It's AMAZING what just wheels can do to the appearance of a car. The standard wheels covers for the CX should be abandoned IMO.

lacrosse_fd000.jpg

Edited by titan

Looking at it in profile, I'm reminded that this car has some really wacky proportions. The trunk and hood seem too stubby...both need to be longer. The way the grille wraps up onto the hood makes the car look very tall (and it is). Look at it in that picture next to the Malibu. The grille sits significantly higher up off the ground. The reason the 3/4 shots look so good are because the high beltline is being masked by the angle.

What this car gets right is the details and the creases. It has some very athletic looking lines, and a nice grille and lights. The interior is great.

white is a nice color for this car.

hate that 1998 shifter.

otherwise, the interior has promise but the gauge faces and swtichgear look GM cheap. also, some more color contrast inside would help.

big improvement over the current lacrosse though.

the exterior is more problematic then the interior. its just kinda awkward in some ways.

the PLOOD has to go.

Edited by regfootball

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is with the vast blank expanse of dashboard in front of the passenger. IMO it'd look nicer with "BUICK" or "Lacrosse" ("Allure" in Canadia, obviously) embossed that part of the dash. The Camaro suffers a similar issue.

Other than that, I'm on board.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

• 2 weeks later...

F'in love the interior.

I wish we could have those gauges in the US. I like my digits to be upright, and not wrapped around the speedometer/tachometer. I hate that.

F'in love the interior.

I wish we could have those gauges in the US. I like my digits to be upright, and not wrapped around the speedometer/tachometer. I hate that.

Hmmm...I never realized they had different guages for US and Canada!

ag_10lacrosse_ip.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

Like:

- the shape/size of the grille, and the vanes within the grille that fan out

- general shape and sweeping design of the dash/console

Dislike:

- the pointed return of the turn signals, a la BMW

- the rear taillamps, a la Toyota Yaris

- the chunky and undefined meshing of roofline and deck lid, a la Lexus

- the little "hat" on top of the dash instrument cluster, a la Malibu

I keep trying, but I don't like this car. I think it will sell, though.