I've decided what my first "classic" will be....

After deciding what I really want, I watched the car I still wanted driving by.....so I decided...

1985-1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2dr/hatch/vert

Go ahead. Laugh. I actually expect some to........ :dizzy:

First, a little background. My first car was a 87 Cavy coupe in RS trim. I loved driving that car....even after being raised on v6s and v8s..... :lovey: . Something about driving it with the windows down and the sunroof up made it great...

Also where my username came from. :yes:

I saw a beautiful 86 vert in red driving down the road.....and the flashbacks begin all over again. :metal:

We could agrue all day about the crap from the 80s.....but I don't care.

I still want my 70s GM iron......after a quick stop in the 80s.... :D

at least so far head of their time, you should know what it's weaknesses are, and anticipate such things before they happen.

I'd love to have my 83 regal wagon back. it was a beast.

I know where you're coming from daves87rs... I miss my '92 Cavalier Z24 Coupe and wish I had it back at times. As for wanting an '80s car as your first classic, I'm right there with you as I want an '81-'87 Pontiac Grand Prix (I came close to making that dream a realization with the '87 GP LE I posted about back in March, until I was laid off this summer - that cash I had had to go towards our mortgage & car payments instead :( ). Good luck with making your dream come true!!

I always liked the 80's styling. if i find a Beretta with a 3.1 and a stick that's clean i will buy it. They had a cool styling to me.

You are your own man; buy what you like. That said, I did not laugh (tho I did grimace). :wink:

LOTS of cars can be driven with windows down & the sunroof open.... :wink:

True....helps when it's your first car though....that being the main reason why I want another one.

Good new is that it i has opened me wide open to my next GM iron....

My wife would like something from the 40s to the 60s...... :D

Hopefully I can find one in good shape.....

I know where you're coming from daves87rs... I miss my '92 Cavalier Z24 Coupe and wish I had it back at times. As for wanting an '80s car as your first classic, I'm right there with you as I want an '81-'87 Pontiac Grand Prix (I came close to making that dream a realization with the '87 GP LE I posted about back in March, until I was laid off this summer - that cash I had had to go towards our mortgage & car payments instead :( ). Good luck with making your dream come true!!

Thanks!

I'm hoping to pay to Balt off sooner (about a year left) so I can be payment free....

The wife's car is holding up well (minus the tiny bit of rust), so we really don't have the desire for new for awhile (at least until 2012, anyways). I'm hoping to pick up an older truck (minivan or Truck) as a family car too....or, we might buy my parents Venture when they get their Traverse next year......

I think the toughest part is finding one as rust free as possible....everything I can work on...

If your wife is like mine, she will love having a 50's car, Dave. With my Miata and my 55 Chevrolet both, women of all ages seemed to notice. Doesn't matter if it is my 8 year old daughters girl scout troup or the 60+ year old women who work at the library...they just seem to notice.

My mother grew up in the 1950's and she still talks fondly about 50's cars.

(including my grandfathers 59 Buick, balthazar.)

Two tone paint anc chrome, with neat upholstry, seems to go a long way with the fair gender...even females who don't like cars.

As for the Cavalier....go for it dammit! I had an 85 Type Ten Cavalier coupe with a sunroof and a 5 speed. Had it when I got married in '88. VERY fond memories of that car...and if GM was still building THAT car...I may very well be writing them a check for a new one.

And as a convertible owner, all I can say is that ragtops are wonderful! Today I drove curvy backroads home from work. I have a 45 minute commute...and I was blasting everything from Steve Vai to the Beetles at top volume on the stereo with the top down.

Chris

If your wife is like mine, she will love having a 50's car, Dave. With my Miata and my 55 Chevrolet both, women of all ages seemed to notice. Doesn't matter if it is my 8 year old daughters girl scout troup or the 60+ year old women who work at the library...they just seem to notice.

Two tone paint anc chrome, with neat upholstry, seems to go a long way with the fair gender...even females who don't like cars.

As for the Cavalier....go for it dammit! I had an 85 Type Ten Cavalier coupe with a sunroof and a 5 speed. Had it when I got married in '88. VERY fond memories of that car...and if GM was still building THAT car...I may very well be writing them a check for a new one.

And as a convertible owner, all I can say is that ragtops are wonderful! Today I drove curvy backroads home from work. I have a 45 minute commute...and I was blasting everything from Steve Vai to the Beetles at top volume on the stereo with the top down.

Chris

That's my thinking....something about the 50s cars....and those she can see at the Henry Ford.

Yep, they were fun. They were pretty light too.....

See- your inherant good taste has been apparent for a long while here, and now; the proof has been revealed.

There HAS to be a pic somewhere {waits, drumming fingers.....}

Buy something rare or unique if you MUST burn money on a 1980s classic.

53217268_pr.jpg

Coolest J-body of all time IMHO. ('86 hot rod of the year)

J-2000_model_box_hor_full.jpg

The 2.8L V6-powered Cavalier Z24 had a sound all its own, much like a 5.0 Mustang has a sound all its own. I rued the day GM quit putting the little V6 in the J-cars. And I agree with the "variety" comment. Now we have coupe and sedan Cobalts to choose from... blah... where's the hatch, the wagon... the convertible? I will keep drumming about it here... MORE BODYSTYLES PER MODEL, FEWER MODELS is what GM needs to return to.

Nothing wrong with keeping 80's cars alive. I have 2 of them. People always forget sthese cars. They think only the 1950's and 60's cars are the only classics worth anything. The 80';s are part of history too. I actually liked the 1982-94 Cavalier over the 1995-2005 one.

The 2.8L V6-powered Cavalier Z24 had a sound all its own, much like a 5.0 Mustang has a sound all its own. I rued the day GM quit putting the little V6 in the J-cars. And I agree with the "variety" comment. Now we have coupe and sedan Cobalts to choose from... blah... where's the hatch, the wagon... the convertible? I will keep drumming about it here... MORE BODYSTYLES PER MODEL, FEWER MODELS is what GM needs to return to.

:yes:

There IS something to driving a 50's classic...the two tone paint and the shiny chrome everywhere...people smile and give lots of thumbs ups. No airbags, no safety equipment, overboosted power steering, heavy brakes...open exhaust and the smell of the gas and oil leaking on a hot engine alll make for a really wonderful driver involved experience. Crank out the wing windows, throw the kids in the back seat and cruise...it is so much fun.

I still want my 84-86 Camaro T-top Berlinetta with the Digital Dash...so you are not alone in your desire for a mid-80's 'classic'. Good luck on the search for your Z24 or Type 10 hatch!

There IS something to driving a 50's classic...the two tone paint and the shiny chrome everywhere...people smile and give lots of thumbs ups. No airbags, no safety equipment, overboosted power steering, heavy brakes...open exhaust and the smell of the gas and oil leaking on a hot engine alll make for a really wonderful driver involved experience. Crank out the wing windows, throw the kids in the back seat and cruise...it is so much fun.

I still want my 84-86 Camaro T-top Berlinetta with the Digital Dash...so you are not alone in your desire for a mid-80's 'classic'. Good luck on the search for your Z24 or Type 10 hatch!

So very true!