NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Georgia mom looking to mandate 'newly licensed' magnets for teen drivers

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Safety

mom_sticker.jpgA mom in Georgia is on a crusade to convince state lawmakers to require special "Caution - Newly Licensed" magnets and stickers on the backs of all vehicles operated by young drivers. Concerned after moving from Ohio to the Peach State and seeing how "crazy" the local drivers were, Susie Kessler founded the "Caution and Courtesy Driver Alliance" to help keep her young son safe when he reached driving age.

According to an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Kessler says the magnet concept was designed to be "something positive" and not embarrassing (in her mind, the simple sticker avoids humiliation to new drivers). And, if you think (correctly) that the kid will simply drive around the corner and pull of the magnet, parents may affix a permanent sticker to the rear window just to drive the message home.

Donnie, her hapless 16-year-old son stuck driving a newbie-emblazoned vehicle, expressed wishes that his mom had focused her energy somewhere else as he quipped to the reporter, "Why does she have to take on this? Couldn't she be feeding the homeless?"

[source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution; Image: Phil Skinner]

Georgia mom looking to mandate 'newly licensed' magnets for teen drivers originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=uMANtzDvJjU:MTqACmP4yss:wF9xT autoblog?i=uMANtzDvJjU:MTqACmP4yss:V_sGL
uMANtzDvJjU

View the full article

While she's at it, maybe she can have "Caution: Nattering old busybody" magnets made up for herself.

I bet she's president of a home owners association and walks around with a ruler measuring people's front lawns.

Get a life lady... and maybe listen to your son.

Donnie, her hapless 16-year-old son stuck driving a newbie-emblazoned vehicle, expressed wishes that his mom had focused her energy somewhere else as he quipped to the reporter, "Why does she have to take on this? Couldn't she be feeding the homeless?"

He seems to have a better grasp on what's important.

Agreed, Drew.

In fact, I think she was a character in that story I wrote a while back...

What's the big deal? Our licensing system has magnetic plates that tell drivers whether a driver is a Learner ('L' plate) or a Novice ('N' plate). They don't look embarrassing, and it's helpful for all parties on the road.

What's the big deal? Our licensing system has magnetic plates that tell drivers whether a driver is a Learner ('L' plate) or a Novice ('N' plate). They don't look embarrassing, and it's helpful for all parties on the road.

A license plate is less obtrusive than a body magnet though...

It's stupid that she wants to mandate it, but then again, maybe the embarrassment might make the teens drive like they aren't retarded. Wishful thinking I know.

Plus, at least it's a magnet and not a sticker.

A license plate is less obtrusive than a body magnet though...

But it can be less noticeable. A magnet can be placed higher up on the vehicle, or some people hang them behind the rear windshield.

Her magnet looks dumb, but something like this looks totally fine:

n_sign.jpg

I bet she's president of a home owners association and walks around with a ruler measuring people's front lawns.

There's something I wish would dissappear

If she thinks that caution sign will bring sympathy among fellow drivers then she is living in Alice's Wonderland. That sign may bring on aggressive drivers to prey on these teens.

I think she needs to be making one for all the old people out there that have their head stuck up their ass 95% of the time they are driving instead of this!

Concerned after moving from Ohio to the Peach State and seeing how "crazy" the local drivers were, Susie Kessler founded the "Caution and Courtesy Driver Alliance" to help keep her young son safe when he reached driving age.

I'd bet she is referred to as "that :cussing: yankee" more often than "Susie" by those neighbors as well. :D

I'd bet she is referred to as "that :cussing: yankee" more often than "Susie" by those neighbors as well. :D

:lol:

Since we're at it, how about stickers for all of the old farts who shouldn't be on the road anymore? She looks old enough to fit the bill.

Atlanta drivers aren't crazy...they're just R-E-A-L-L-Y slow and inept. I have never seen so many "Sunday drivers" on the freeway on a Tuesday afternoon in such a large metropolitan area. They weave in and out of carpool lanes regardless of lane striping, often drive under the speed limit in the left lanes, frequently fail to signal, drift between lanes constantly, the list goes on and on...

Collectively, Atlanta is a city of drivers who act like a combination of Alzheimer's patients and little old ladies driving to church.

Our BC system with the Learner (L) and next-step Novice (N) magnetic tags has two advantages. a) It gives them breathing room if you're not a stupid redneck tailgating them, making them nervous; and b) It ensures more scrutiny to 'help' keep novice drivers from acting out. If a cop spots a novice driver pulling a dangerous stunt, their license is forfeit and they get to do the whole thing all over again. There are certain rules as well with these designations. You can only drive during a daylight time period with an adult when Learning and have a limited number of passengers with both tags.

I know I pay attention to them, especially the Learning driver. Some of the things they pull are so crazy and dangerous, I just know some of the blame has to come from the terrible 'adult' driver in the car next to them.

Of course, it's not as though the kids love the whole idea. They can't wait to get rid of the big, red "L" so they can stick the big, green "N" on their car and turn it sideways for a sweet looking "Z" instead... Oooooh yeeeeah. Kids are weird.

Edited by ShadowDog

Our BC system with the Learner (L) and next-step Novice (N) magnetic tags has two advantages. a) It gives them breathing room if you're not a stupid redneck tailgating them, making them nervous; and b) It ensures more scrutiny to 'help' keep novice drivers from acting out. If a cop spots a novice driver pulling a dangerous stunt, their license is forfeit and they get to do the whole thing all over again. There are certain rules as well with these designations. You can only drive during a daylight time period with an adult when Learning and have a limited number of passengers with both tags.

I know I pay attention to them, especially the Learning driver. Some of the things they pull are so crazy and dangerous, I just know some of the blame has to come from the terrible 'adult' driver in the car next to them.

This pretty much sums up why I like the magnetic plates. There have been quite a few instances where giving the vehicles with L and N plates may have meant a difference between my day being normal, and my day being sucky from rear-ending a new driver because of their really abrupt stops, and equally wacky take offs.

Of course, it's not as though the kids love the whole idea. They can't wait to get rid of the big, red "L" so they can stick the big, green "N" on their car and turn it sideways for a sweet looking "Z" instead... Oooooh yeeeeah. Kids are weird.

Square. :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room