NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: 2010 Jaguar XJ: Now With More XF! [New Cars]

50 posts in this topic

Photos of the 2010 Jaguar XJ have started to seep out ahead of tomorrow's official unveiling. They reveal a car heavily influenced by the 2009 Jaguar XF, yet bizarrely also drawing a little sumpin'-sumpin' from the Renault Laguna.

The New Jaguar XJ also apparently continues to use the old XJ's all aluminum chassis, but expect it to adopt Jag's new range of 5.0 V8s in both naturally aspirated and supercharged, 510 HP forms. [embargo break via NetCarShow]

2010-Jaguar-XJ-1.jpg

2010-Jaguar-XJ-2.jpg

2010-Jaguar-XJ-3.jpg

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=ZtbLcu2RfsA:Y1qsUu2QsNM:D7DqB2pKE full?i=ZtbLcu2RfsA:Y1qsUu2QsNM:V_sGLiPBp
ZtbLcu2RfsA

View the full article

The tail reminds me of the Bentley Continental Flying Spur.

Not bad though.

Edited by Lamar

Hmm, I have to say I quite like it. Very nice proportions and overall shape. The headlights look much more like those on the CXF than the XF's do...which is good because I like the CXF better units better.

jaguar-cxf.jpg

Interesting what they did with the C-pillar, although I'm not sure what I think of it.

The only thing I know I don't care for are the narrow tail lights. I prefer full width ones.

jaguar-cxf-rear.jpg

Not sure I like it. I'm sure Caddy can do even better using a Statesman.

If money-starved Jag can do a new large luxosedan, so can Cadillac.

Edited by pow

Sleek...the greenhouse looks like a sleeker A8. What's with the black on the C-pillars, though. Not sure about the taillights.. Quite a break w/ 40 years of evolution the current car is.

Possibly because Jag executives have desire make a better company than the fiefdom filled executives of GM who will abandon money, time and efforts of some other people of their own company.

Well, this is a world car, though, to be sold in many markets. Would a big new Caddy be sold outside of NA?

Cadillac will never touch this car. Jaguar may have been cash strapped lately, but Tata has the money to turn them around.

I love the front end of this car, it is going to go down as an iconic car like the DB5, E-Type, or SL300 Gullwing. No sedan looks this good up front. The rear is a little MKS and Bentley blend, it's different, perhaps it will grow on me, but I like the XF rear more. But nothing on the road looks like the new XJ, and with the aluminum frame, the XJR could be 510 hp and 3900 pounds which is insane for a 17 foot long sedan.

Cadillac will never touch this car. Jaguar may have been cash strapped lately, but Tata has the money to turn them around.

Tata is cash strapped too. It just borrowed some money and has posted consistent loss over the past two quarters.

Jaguar just like Hyundai and Ford is taking bold steps. Other than bold steps for Volt, GM is basically cold.

Tata Consultancy Services (their biggest division), Tata Power and Tata Motors have all posted positive profit after taxes for the past 4 years. Tata knows what they are doing, and all companies borrow money, because they can leverage the debt to pay dividends and increase their stock price or to grow assets. Tata is so diversified they can always make money, while hardly any automakers made money in 2008. It just depends on how much Tata wants to kick back to Jaguar.

Tata Consultancy Services (their biggest division), Tata Power and Tata Motors have all posted positive profit after taxes for the past 4 years. Tata knows what they are doing, and all companies borrow money, because they can leverage the debt to pay dividends and increase their stock price or to grow assets. Tata is so diversified they can always make money, while hardly any automakers made money in 2008. It just depends on how much Tata wants to kick back to Jaguar.

Dude all these companies are publicly traded, not privately owned despite being under same conglomerate. Tata cannot overtly shuffle around money within all of these companies like family owned Mexican restaurants in a city.

The car is drop dead gorgeous until you get to the weird C-pillar treatment and awkwardly styled rear, then things go terribly wrong. I would have rather seen a more conventional treatment from the C-pillar back than this odd mess.

The C-pillar is an easy fix...just make the blacked out part body color....or get a black one.

The tails....eh...

The taillights are a bit of a head scratcher, but I'll bet they don't look bad in person. The d-pillar blackout though is just odd. I like the overall look of the car, though. The face is a great translation from the C-XF, and I love the profile.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

it is going to go down as an iconic car like the DB5, E-Type, or SL300 Gullwing

LOL, I think not. The XF will lose half its value after three years. The DB5, E-type, and SL won't.

Rear end looks extremely cheap & dumpy, and I'm getting a kia rio vibe off the tails.

Grille up front is nice, but the rest is very humdrum.

Overall, HUGELY dumbed down from the concept, ala the G6 scenario.

They had a real chance to shake off 40 years of retro-reguritation, but just couldn't make it happen.

LOL, I think not. The XF will lose half its value after three years. The DB5, E-type, and SL won't.

I think in 50 years the XJ will still look good like those cars do, it of course won't hold value like a DB5 or Gullwing. Perhaps a better comparison is to the W120 S-Class, the XJ could go down as a legendary car, but not a collectible.

The rear isn't the best, but it probably looks better in person, and it is unique at least. I can't wait to see the interior.

The rear isn't the best, but it probably looks better in person, and it is unique at least. I can't wait to see the interior.

Most of that statement I'll agree with, but the rear end treatment is in no way unique! Maserati used it, Lincoln used it, hell...even Hyundai and/or Kia used it...I can't remember which...not exactly what I'd call unique, unless you're talking about it being unique to the Jaguar lineup...

the XJ could go down as a legendary car, but not a collectible.

If the reliability of the XJ mirrors that of the XF... you could be right.

Aww.. you should have left that post up SMK. (btw, I can see deleted posts even after you delete them)

Jaguar was #1 in JD Power reliability in 2008. XF may have had a few glitches at launch, but reliability, sales satisfaction or customer service are not an issue with Jag.

The new XJ is incredible, the interior is amazing, this car blows away the Quattroporte or 7-series. Even the S-class looks boring and feeble compared to this. Plus with the aluminum body, the XJ is probably 500 pounds less than any of those other cars. Awesome car.

The new XJ is incredible, the interior is amazing, this car blows away the Quattroporte or 7-series. Even the S-class looks boring and feeble compared to this. Plus with the aluminum body, the XJ is probably 500 pounds less than any of those other cars. Awesome car.

Sorry, but no. If anything the XJ tries to mimic the Quattroporte's rear end yet ends up looking like a Chinese "IS NO COPY!" instead.

maserati_quattroporte_sport_gt_s_2.jpg

2010-Jaguar-XJ-3.jpg

I'm sure no one would ever call me a BMW defender, but the 7-series still looks better. (The previous gen is my favorite in this segment).

Overall, I'd put the XJ as a tie with the A8 from the rear and a tie with the S-class from the front.

The Quattroporte has the best nose and the 7-series looks best and most balanced overall.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead