Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shot: Redesigned Lincoln MKX gains corporate face

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Crossovers/CUVs, Lincoln

lincolnmkx.feu.kgp.ed_opt.jpg
Redesigned Lincoln MKX spy shot - Click above to enlarge

Lincoln's new corporate grille is comprised of a split-wing design that flows up into a pair of swept back headlamps. It debuted on the MKS, has migrated to the MKZ and was expanded for the MKT three-row crossover, and now it's set to appear on the redesigned MKX crossover.

The MKX crossover has always been the odd-man-out in terms of styling when compared to the rest of the Lincoln lineup. Even before the split-wing grille came into being, the MKX debuted with a front fascia that didn't match any of the brand's other models because it was based on the 2005 Lincoln Aviator concept. All that will change as this spy shot reveals.

Whereas the split-wing grille looks over-the-top on the much larger MKT crossover, this most important of Lincoln design cues seems right at home on the smaller MKX. Click the image above for an enlarged view and let us (and Lincoln) know what you think in the comments. Specifically, how do you think the new MKX design compares to its cross-town rival, the 2010 Cadillac SRX?

Spy Shot: Redesigned Lincoln MKX gains corporate face originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Bt8mA3WxJ8g:3xLyefg934U:wF9xT autoblog?i=Bt8mA3WxJ8g:3xLyefg934U:V_sGL
Bt8mA3WxJ8g

View the full article

Meh, I think the Aviator concept/MKX face is a lot more upmarket. Something about this corporate "face" looks tacky to me.

current mkx schnoz is not that great. this is a huge improvement even if it is not perfect for a crossover, at least all lincolns have the same generic lincoln schoz. kinda like all cadillacs have same schnoz now.

mkx and edge would benefit most from complete interior redos anyways, and to some extent, performance and mpg improvements.

Edited by regfootball

How is that generic? Generic would be a trapezoid grill. That's called family resemblance.

I like the current front end, but I like this better, and it fits with everything else except the poor ol' Town Car. It looks good, imo, and dare I say from just looking at a spyshot of a partially covered vehicle, it looks better than the SRX.

I find it sad that there's this 'pressure' that all cars & trucks under 1 brand have to wear the same mask.

BMW slaps their trucks grille on all their cars... :wink:

I'm mixed on this one- was noticing a new, spotless MKX do a slow turn by me the other day and I thought it looked extremely nice from every angle, and the '61-esque grillework is so unique today. On the other hand I love the 'split wing', too. Why 'must' one die ??

I find it sad that there's this 'pressure' that all cars & trucks under 1 brand have to wear the same mask.

Absolutely, makes me wonder where the heck has the creativity vanished?

I'm mixed on this one- was noticing a new, spotless MKX do a slow turn by me the other day and I thought it looked extremely nice from every angle, and the '61-esque grillework is so unique today. On the other hand I love the 'split wing', too. Why 'must' one die ??

It's the same reason we have the alpha numerics. It's about branding.

Just because it has a name & a 'model', doesn't mean it works. Which it doesn't.

You can do a lot with a grill. Dodge's crosshair grills are all storts of shapes and sizes, they just have that one defining trait.

I have no problem with the current MKX, but I am looking forward to seeing this update. Hope they full-width tails stay.

I don't think the new divisional grille is as much of a problem as the fact that this vehicle shares its overall shape with the Ford Edge. Lincoln products can share platforms with Ford products, but the resulting design must be totally differentiated; in this case, it's not.

How is that generic? Generic would be a trapezoid grill. That's called family resemblance.

generic as in 'nothing particularly stunning design wise to look at'

aka 'forgettable'

aka 'half assed in concept and execution'.

but since they all look the same on each of lincoln's new front ends at least the corporate branding is preserved. you can look at any lincoln now and know its a lincoln, but not have the ability to tell exactly quickly which MKwtf it is

its not that it looks bad. its just not stunning. but then again that is over half the cars for sale in the US. as a reference, Lexus is the same way. Nothing particularly ravishing about the faces of any of its cars.

at least its not scary like the new acura meat slicer grill. i actually had a nightmare flahsback driving around tonight. i saw the meat slicer from far away coming at me. I thought i was reliving a bad nightmare or watching an old horror flick where something is chasing you and going to kill you or your head get cut off in a guillotine or something. But then it turned at the stoplight instead of coming for me and i realized it was actually a car and not a meat slicer (and i was not a deli turkey on sale for 5.99 a pound this week only)

Edited by regfootball

generic as in 'nothing particularly stunning design wise to look at'

aka 'forgettable'

aka 'half assed in concept and execution'.

but since they all look the same on each of lincoln's new front ends at least the corporate branding is preserved. you can look at any lincoln now and know its a lincoln, but not have the ability to tell exactly quickly which MKwtf it is

its not that it looks bad. its just not stunning. but then again that is over half the cars for sale in the US. as a reference, Lexus is the same way. Nothing particularly ravishing about the faces of any of its cars.

at least its not scary like the new acura meat slicer grill. i actually had a nightmare flahsback driving around tonight. i saw the meat slicer from far away coming at me. I thought i was reliving a bad nightmare or watching an old horror flick where something is chasing you and going to kill you or your head get cut off in a guillotine or something. But then it turned at the stoplight instead of coming for me and i realized it was actually a car and not a meat slicer (and i was not a deli turkey on sale for 5.99 a pound this week only)

Well it would work a lot better if most of the vehicles its been applied to weren't MCEs and designed from teh ground up. I dunno wtf happened to the MKT though...that's just a mess.

think of the average female shopper who is in their 40's 50's etc. they can't tell the brands on the market apart, much less individual models within a brand.

not just women either. confused car shoppers have diversity of all types.

the marketing folk just tell the designers to make it the same because it preserves the branding image. everything is about branding these days. there was a day when product and people set you apart.

Well it would work a lot better if most of the vehicles its been applied to weren't MCEs and designed from teh ground up. I dunno wtf happened to the MKT though...that's just a mess.

MKt really is not nice. its like a bathtub with an extra indent for kim kardashians ass.

but considering how ugly vehicles like the Q7 are, and how frustratingly confused the Flex is, we should happy the MKt even exists.

The styling excellence of the Lambdas becomes even more apparent just mentioning all that other crap.

that said, the Edge and MKx are prob the best looking crossovers on the market. that and the lambdas and new equinox. Edge / mkx biggest issues are interior issues and fuel economy / performance needs.

Edited by regfootball

rant aside, i guess this is a big improvement in the looks though.. glad they did it. BTW the 2010 fusion front end, now that i have seen many of them on the road, is an even bigger improvement over the last gen than i originally thought, and i think this redo on the MKx front will have the same effect. It prob won't register how much better it is until you see it on the road. This has more presence, even if its redundant to other lincolns.

I prefer the old one. I think MKX would have done well had only Edge not existed. I like how exquisitely detailed the grill was, and how the rear tailgate glass continued down to the wraparound tail lights. Looks best in creme brulee.

I like corporate grilles. I enjoy brands as a whole more if they have consistent styling traits across the range. That said, I don't care much for the split Lincoln grille on the MKX. I hope they don't slap it on the Navigator as well, that would completely ruin its imposing look.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

I like corporate grilles. I enjoy brands as a whole more if they have consistent styling traits across the range. That said, I don't care much for the split Lincoln grille on the MKX. I hope they don't slap it on the Navigator as well, that would completely ruin its imposing look.

What do you mean never cared for? This is the first shot we've seen of the split grill on the MKX, and it's not even fully revealed.

Sorry, my wording was rather muddled. Still, I like the clean, sharp look of the current MKX and this MCE is probably going to make it looks more like the MKR, which is softer than I care for.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

I think it looks great so far...

I think the MKS is probably one of the best looking cars on the road. Too bad Ford isn't serious about positioni9ng Lincoln and marketing the brand.

I think it looks great so far... I think the MKS is probably one of the best looking cars on the road. Too bad Ford isn't serious about positioni9ng Lincoln and marketing the brand.

+1

Chris

Speaking of the new Lincoln nose, I saw a '10 MKZ the other day, looks great with the nose...I really like the MKS design overall.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0