NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Numbers Don't Lie: Silverado beats out F-150 as America's best-selling light-duty pickup

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Trucks/Pickups, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Nissan, Toyota

silverado_large.jpg

Quick - What's the best-selling light-duty pickup truck in America? Did you say the Ford F-150? Not so fast. According to the J.D. Power Information Network (via our friends at PickupTrucks.com), General Motors sold more Chevy Silverado 1500 pickups (119,959 units) in June that Ford sold F-150s (107,778 units), and that's not a fluke.

It seems that the automakers don't actually break out the sales of each pickup line when reporting overall figures, so Ford lumps all F-Series (F-150, F-250, F-350...) sales together when it correctly lays claim to the title of Best-Selling Pickup Line in America. Ford's Super Duty series commands nearly 50-percent of the HD pickup market, which puts the Blue Oval on top of the overall sales race.

Interestingly, all three American automakers picked up full-size pickup market share at the expense of Nissan and especially Toyota, which saw sales of its Tundra plummet from 76,516 units to just 36,106 units in June of 2009 compared to one year ago. Click here for the full breakdown of full-size truck sales data.

[source: PickupTrucks.com]

Numbers Don't Lie: Silverado beats out F-150 as America's best-selling light-duty pickup originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 19:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=6xYpN5ek1Yc:1vEv6IPneW8:wF9xT autoblog?i=6xYpN5ek1Yc:1vEv6IPneW8:V_sGL
6xYpN5ek1Yc

View the full article

I've had an '09 Silverado for 2 months now.

I regard it as being the best truck I've been privileged to own.

The styling had been growing on me since I first saw one on the road almost 2 years ago. Now I love to look at it and admire it as being my truck.

I can't say that I've driven Silverado's competition so I'm only relating opinion.

This body-style Z-71 sits way up in a command high seating position. Love the visibility all the way around.

Also the Z-71 Silverado takes to the sand, cuts across the ruts, like no other 4 wheel drive vehicle I've taken onto the beach.

Favorite features: The instrument panel's always back-lit. Makes the read-outs much more legible. For some reason (the windshield angle?) it is a breeze to clean the interior windshield.

Another favorite: The (electric) windows go up n' down in the swing-out rear doors on the extended cab.

Doesn't suprise me. I love the way my 09 is built. Nice Solid truck all around.

And yet they don't advertist America's best selling 1/2 ton.

Combined with GMC, GM doesn't advertise that their the largest truck maker. I think I'd like to work for their marketing.

What I find more important is that the Tundra continues to fail miserably, having the domestics retain their hold on full-size pickups is essential.

What I find more important is that the Tundra continues to fail miserably, having the domestics retain their hold on full-size pickups is essential.

+1

my thoughts exactly.

I've been seeing more Tundra advertising lately. A last ditch effort to stay competative perhaps?

They build the best truck, it's good to be recognized for that with SALES.

They build the best truck, it's good to be recognized for that with SALES.

Especially when Ford and Dodge have upped their ante with better vehicles and the Chevy is the "older" one.

I wonder how much more incentives GM is offering compared to Ford and Dodge. But no small feat considering gas prices and economy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead