Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: GM's Bob Lutz Reverses Retirement Decision, May Lead Global Marketing [Carpocalypse]

24 posts in this topic

The image associated with this post is best viewed using a browser.According to Automotive News, GM's once-outgoing product czar's decided to stay on with the "New GM" as head of a newly-consolidated marketing and communications empire. Apparently, his Letterman interview was just that good.

We called GM PR staff for a comment and got nothing. GM spokesman and chief communicator Steve Harris also declined to comment. Bear in mind this report comes after the The Wall Street Journal reported earlier Lutz would stay, but didn't identify his role.

Lutz said in February he would leave the company for good at the end of the year. He has been replaced by Tom Stephens as vice chairman of global product development while remaining vice chairman and senior adviser. Guess he'll get to keep that job. [via Automotive News]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=fDjGLg4jFRE:LyHZldvJegI:D7DqB2pKE full?i=fDjGLg4jFRE:LyHZldvJegI:V_sGLiPBp
fDjGLg4jFRE

View the full article

I know there is not a lot of Lutz love on this site. But, you have to admit, there has been a lot more buzz about product in recent years with him around. He is the buzz master and if he goes to advertisement and promotion, I think it will help GM. I am excited.

i read something suggesting that the govt was going to shed its ownership share of GM as fast as they could. could it be that if that is the case, and buyouts are being negotiated, that maybe lutz was brushed aside during this bankruptcy operation so his aura would not harm the proceedings? and now its 'clear' for him to get back in?

or is it more a case of utter chaos from a product standpoint and now the brands are determined he can resume work again with some order and focus?

Filed under: Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, GM

img_0065.jpgAs General Motors was stumbling toward insolvency earlier this year and it became clear that the presidential task force was going to require some heads to roll, Bob Lutz announced his retirement at the end of this year. Now that the "New" General Motors has emerged from bankruptcy, it appears Lutz wants to keep his commitment to drive the first production Chevy Volt off the line in 2010.

The first stage of Lutz's retirement involved relinquishing his duties as product development chief last April to Tom Stephens. Lutz was to remain as a special advisor for the rest of this year, however, the Detroit Bureau is reporting Lutz will stick around for an indeterminate amount of time to advise CEO Fritz Henderson. Henderson's background is on the finance side of the business, so perhaps GM wants someone else on the inside advising on future product. This will be particularly important over the next several years as GM pares down its model and brand lineup to determine what to keep and what to toss.

[source: The Detroit Bureau]

Just Kidding! Bob Lutz isn't walking away from GM just yet originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=c9_aVv7f2OQ:LPzFZD4E_o4:wF9xT autoblog?i=c9_aVv7f2OQ:LPzFZD4E_o4:V_sGL
c9_aVv7f2OQ

View the full article

A tribute song for Bob Lutz:

Here is the video:

Bob the Builder Theme Song

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can!

Fritz Henderson, Ed Welburn and Mark LaNeve too

and Ed Whitcare join the crew

Thom Stephens and Susan Docherty,and Frank Weber and Kevin Williams

Playing together like good friends should

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can!

Hey!

Time to get busy, such a lot to do

Building and fixing till it's good as new

Bob and the gang have so much fun

Working together, they get the job done

Can we build it? Yeah!

Can we fix it? Yeah!

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can! (Yeah!)

A tribute song for Bob Lutz:

Here is the video:

Bob the Builder Theme Song

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can!

Fritz Henderson, Ed Welburn and Mark LaNeve too

and Ed Whitcare join the crew

Thom Stephens and Susan Docherty,and Frank Weber and Kevin Williams

Playing together like good friends should

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can!

Hey!

Time to get busy, such a lot to do

Building and fixing till it's good as new

Bob and the gang have so much fun

Working together, they get the job done

Can we build it? Yeah!

Can we fix it? Yeah!

Bob the Builder

Can we fix GM?

Bob the Builder

Yes, we can! (Yeah!)

Good to see you back around here! Actually I would love for Bob Lutz to stay on and somehow keep the G8 around. Bob has done so much for GM, and he is one of us a true car guy. I hope he stays on this would be a great spot for him.

Edited by gm4life

i read something suggesting that the govt was going to shed its ownership share of GM as fast as they could. could it be that if that is the case, and buyouts are being negotiated, that maybe lutz was brushed aside during this bankruptcy operation so his aura would not harm the proceedings? and now its 'clear' for him to get back in?

or is it more a case of utter chaos from a product standpoint and now the brands are determined he can resume work again with some order and focus?

Reg I really hope your right the government wanting to unload GM as fast as they can, I would love to see this happen. I do hope your right but I haven't seen any sings or read anything yet. Got a link to that article?

The less people involved the better in the Chaper 11 the better. They did not need a Bob comment on this not matter if he was right or not.

I think in the post Rick era he has found he will not be marginalized an have room to work and make a differance with out getting over ruled. Before this settled it looked as if once Rick was gone he many have not had as much say as he once had.

Once thing for sure was he stated he was not going to retire and was looking to get in with a smaller performance automaker.

IIRC, he championed a revival of Pontiac whle "certain other factions" within GM wanted it dead.

IIRC, he championed a revival of Pontiac whle "certain other factions" within GM wanted it dead.

Incorrect, there was only one platform that was targeted within Pontiac to be killed off, not the brand. Lutz let the brand die ...

I am not sure how to take Lutz. I was shocked to watch him on "The Colbert Report" admitting that he does not believe in Global warming. I am not an enviromentalist but I have to think the new head of communications would be a little sharper to realize that it hurts GM's image when one of thier top dogs goes around denying global warming on a left leaning tv show.

I like the direction that GM is heading now with the intro of the 2010 Equinox and the 2010 Camaro

I just hope Mr. Lutz will adapt to the new challanges and allow GM to shed the old school perception.

I bet his 1st marekting slogan will be "the competition is a crock of $h!". It will turn heads...

Here is a quote from Business Week

CEO Frederick A. "Fritz" Henderson wanted him back. With GM's debt burden reduced, Lutz figured he could get the funding to really develop and market new models.

Note Bob was very limited by funds and the board. Today they have better funding for new peroduct and they are now willing to listen to him more than they did before.

Bob can say any crazy thing he likes as long as he keeps the product improving and moving forward. Imagine a GM with not only better product but product that will be marketed like it should be and not for the first 6 months after intro if at all.

Edited by hyperv6

They are better off without him. I wonder how long Fritz will last too. If anyone from the 2000-2008 management regime was so great, they wouldn't have ended up in this mess. The more new blood the better.

They are better off without him. I wonder how long Fritz will last too. If anyone from the 2000-2008 management regime was so great, they wouldn't have ended up in this mess. The more new blood the better.

Yeah, right, Lutz should go. On the way out, he should take the Camaro, Malibu, CTS, SRX, Equinox, Terrain, LaCrosse, Enclave, Acadia, Traverse, and Volt with him. Good riddance to all of 'em.

:rolleyes:

Incorrect, there was only one platform that was targeted within Pontiac to be killed off, not the brand. Lutz let the brand die ...

His predecessors let the brand die; he just inherited a sinking ship filled with mediocre vehicles, and did the best he could with the resources he had. All things considered he did a pretty good job, what with bringing the GTO and G8 out our way, which are arguably the only Pontiac's worth driving out of the entire brand's product portfolio for the past 30-some years.

And if the platform slated to be killed off is what I think it is, I wouldn't blame him for killing Pontiac, because it'd be back to square one, and continue to be a punchline in the automotive world.

Edited by Kix

KILL THE W-BODY!:)

Here is a quote from Business Week

CEO Frederick A. "Fritz" Henderson wanted him back. With GM's debt burden reduced, Lutz figured he could get the funding to really develop and market new models.

Note Bob was very limited by funds and the board. Today they have better funding for new peroduct and they are now willing to listen to him more than they did before.

Bob can say any crazy thing he likes as long as he keeps the product improving and moving forward. Imagine a GM with not only better product but product that will be marketed like it should be and not for the first 6 months after intro if at all.

I'm really glad Fritz knows what he has in Lutz. When I interviewed the Pontiac guys last year, you got the feeling that they really enjoyed having him as a leader. I'd love to see what he'll do with the gag order lifted and a board that will listen to him instead of fight him.

His predecessors let the brand die; he just inherited a sinking ship filled with mediocre vehicles, and did the best he could with the resources he had. All things considered he did a pretty good job, what with bringing the GTO and G8 out our way, which are arguably the only Pontiac's worth driving out of the entire brand's product portfolio for the past 30-some years.

And if the platform slated to be killed off is what I think it is, I wouldn't blame him for killing Pontiac, because it'd be back to square one, and continue to be a punchline in the automotive world.

I didn't know C Eh N Eh D eh got the GTO. However Lutz did say it was a failure, so I will take him at his word on that ...

The comments alone are Golden on this link: http://www.nextautos.com/videos/bob-lutz-e...tiac-gto-failed

Awsome! Glad to see him stick around... and head of marketing besides! GM NEEDS a new marketing dept.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0