Rare, interesting, cool GM pictures

So, I found some back up CD's from 2006. They contain a bunch of cool stuff from C&G past, as well as stuff from all over the internets. Most of this has been lost in the sands of time, so I think I will share some here.

First up, is a repost from the "New GM" thread...

Here is the Pontiac G6 we were supposed to get, before Bob Lutz had them simplify it!

ORIG-G6.jpg

These pics come from the actual production G6 launch brochure:

G6BB.jpg

G6AB.jpg

I made this image for C&G in '06 to show the pre-Lutz cues on the car we got:

GRAND6.jpg

Here is a scan from GM Design showing the theme they were working on for the GMX295 program, aka 2004 Cadillac Seville. Bob Lutz ordered this car redone (softened).

GMX295.jpg

I made this image for C&G to show what the car might have looked like in press pics:

PRELUTZCOMPARE.jpg

Iv yet to find it, but I based this photochop on a picture of the "pre-Lutz" Pontiac Grand Prix:

prelutz.jpg

Here is the Lambda-based Chevrolet minivan we were supposed to get:

08MINIVAN.jpg

The cancelled GMC Sub-Theta (GMT162). It was to be a small crossover riding on a Delta and Theta platform mix. A Chevrolet version was also planned. You can see alot of the design vocabulary in the 2010 GMC Terrain!:

SUBTHETA.jpg

Popular Mechanics spy pic shows a nearly finished product!

PMX0905NEWCARS019_LARGE.jpg

A wall of Corvette renderings! This was snuck out of the studio during C6 development!

C6SPYART.jpg

Early C6 model (shown at a Miami consumer clinic):

MIAMIC6.jpg

This image comes from the Canadian Chevrolet Cobalt launch site from 2004!

CHEV_COBA_OVER_MAIN.jpg

Now, some Cadillac stuff:

Simon Cox Cadillac Sixteen:

SIXTEEN.jpg

Sketches from 2003:

2002SKETCH.jpg

2002SKETCH2.jpg

This image led to weeks of debate and speculation on C&G. It is a blown up pic taken from a slide show at a GM press conference before we knew what the new STS was going to look like.

2004.jpg

Someone from C&G whipped this up, I think. Claim it if its yours!

2004STS4.jpg

These images are done by a design student, and were featured on cardesignnews years ago. I think they are pretty cool. Hope he or she went far!

CDN_PORTFOLIO_2555_1.jpg

Mid-engine Cadillac CTC:

CTC.jpg

DESIGN_2EDIT.jpg

Early EVOQ rendering:

EVOQ3.jpg

Cadillac FTS:

FTS.jpg

Cadillac ULC:

ULC001.jpg

ULC002.jpg

Motor Trend article about the C-body design. April 1984:

CBODYB.jpg

More later...

That red G6, while ugly, is at least interesting and unique, not like the boring, bloated jellybean they ended up putting on the market.

Unique, yes. Interesting... not so much IMHO. The sketches belw the pic are interesting, but GM would never have allowed a production car to have such large wheels and ride height. Unfortunately any G6 would come up short in the EXCITEMENT!!!!!eleventy billion!!!1!!!!1!! department, with the notable exception of the silver concept G6.

Other impressions: The GMC looked very cool! That STS design was hideous, but some of those Cadillac illustrations and models are very cool!

Edited by ZL-1

Looks like Opel stole the original G6 headlight idea...

I remember the STS pic and debate. Good times!

I'd still like to see something like the ULC in showrooms.

That red G6, while ugly, is at least interesting and unique, not like the boring, bloated jellybean they ended up putting on the market.

I think that sums it up nicely.

I really hate Bob Lutz 'blob-ification' of everything (he does it with EVERYTHING he touches) However, I don't think any of these designs (original G6, GP, STS, etc) would've done well in the market.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I remember that Lambda minivan. Lutz went on record before the program was canceled that the next minivans would "look like spaceships", and I'm glad we were able to find a picture of what he was talking about! Also, I like the GMC sub-Theta. The Terrain takes a lot of cues from that I think.

Here is the Pontiac G6 we were supposed to get, before Bob Lutz had them simplify it!

ORIG-G6.jpg

These pics come from the actual production G6 launch brochure:

G6BB.jpg

G6AB.jpg

This could have been salvageable. First and foremost, prototype's ass is way too saggy...it should have emulated that profile sketch more.

Up front, the headlights should be a little bigger. The silvers look like they would be useless as headlights and they're too small to look like an important part of the design. The lower fascia should have better detailing...perhaps larger fog light housings set a deeper in the fascia and a little lower.

Lower the ride height so it doesn't look like an Outback, and give it some less tacky wheels and it could have been promising.

This could have been salvageable. First and foremost, prototype's ass is way too saggy...it should have emulated that profile sketch more.

Up front, the headlights should be a little bigger. The silvers look like they would be useless as headlights and they're too small to look like an important part of the design. The lower fascia should have better detailing...perhaps larger fog light housings set a deeper in the fascia and a little lower.

Lower the ride height so it doesn't look like an Outback, and give it some less tacky wheels and it could have been promising.

That profile sketch only looks less droopy because it has a spoiler.

Honestly, if the G6 we got were the G6 concept, it would be fine. The main differences were the detailing and obvious thought put into individual design elements.

That profile sketch only looks less droopy because it has a spoiler.

Honestly, if the G6 we got were the G6 concept, it would be fine. The main differences were the detailing and obvious thought put into individual design elements.

Yes, but the spoiler is part of the body work, not a bolt on.

I agree with the G6 concept...great looking car, although the front end needs an update.

Pontiac-G6_Concept_2003_800x600_wallpape

• 2 weeks later...
*BUMP*

I know you stated "soon" in your post TED, but I just don't want you forgetting about this thread :P

Im pretty busy.

A 1973 Cadillac Seville proposal:

73sev.jpg

And another CTC proposal:

caddysketch1.gif

And scale model:

gm-clay-designers400.jpg

design_2.jpg

Some recent cool Cadillac renderings of the CTS Coupe (not rare, but cool to see in light of the older designs earlier in the thread!):

Cadillac-CTS-Coupe-Concept-sketch-2-lg.j

Cadillac-CTS-Coupe-Concept-sketch-1-lg.j

Interior-design-1-lg.jpg

Interior-design-2-lg.jpg

Interior-design-3-lg.jpg

Some Buick stuff!

2003 Buick Centieme

buickconcept.jpg

Believe it or not, this is an early Enclave rendering:

enclave6ys.jpg

Buick Christmas Card!

xmas7jb.jpg

The very first image we saw of the LaCrosse on C&G (was much debated!)

2005buicklacrosse.jpg

Countdown to Lucerne (look how many models Buick had then!)

countdown.jpg

Enclave sketch from the website flash animation:

sketch.jpg

WKA2003031153237_pv.jpg

A 1973 Buick invoice:

1973invoice.jpg

C-body design:

cbodya.jpg

W-body design:

GM10Bb.jpg

Inside the Buick studio around 1999 (with Rendezvous development)

GMCenturyofInnovation-D22.jpg

:thumbsup:

GMHeritageAfterdrive09.jpg

2005buicklacrosse.jpg

I remember this picture. Brings back good memories of people trying to increase the brightness and contrast and what have you. Do you still have that picture of Chicago Auto Show setting up before the Lacrosse was unveiled? They were testing a presentation on a video screen and someone caught it with the event's webcams, which you could control at the time. Goooood times. :)

I remember this picture. Brings back good memories of people trying to increase the brightness and contrast and what have you.

Heres one of the brightened versions I did back then:

2005buicklacrosse2.jpg

Do you still have that picture of Chicago Auto Show setting up before the Lacrosse was unveiled? They were testing a presentation on a video screen and someone caught it with the event's webcams, which you could control at the time. Goooood times. :)

Yes! Chicago Autoshow 2004:

1075935287386268.jpg

1075935287386358.jpg

1075935287386642.jpg

1075935287387822.jpg

1075935287388297.jpg

1075935287527619.jpg

1075935287364939.jpg

1075935287365549.jpg

1075935287435931.jpg

1075935287440614.jpg

Oh, Buick Y-Job, you never fail to look beautiful, even next to a younger contemporary. :)

I need to find the sketches of the redesigned Saturn Ion before they scrapped it & brought in the Astra.

ION-Exterior.jpg

ION-Interior.jpg

Always interesting to see how ideas migrate to different divisions for production. Looking at the 1972 Riviera proposal, it is clear to me the side treatment evolved a bit and went into the 1970 Monte Carlo, where it became an integral part of first-gen MC style distinction.

• 2 weeks later...
Always interesting to see how ideas migrate to different divisions for production. Looking at the 1972 Riviera proposal, it is clear to me the side treatment evolved a bit and went into the 1970 Monte Carlo, where it became an integral part of first-gen MC style distinction.

Indeed ... and even more so into the 2nd gen MC styling...

VERY cool pics, etc. ... thanks for sharing these with us!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"All my pictures seem to fade to black and white" ... George Michael ... 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'