Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Fritz Henderson to Autoblog: Chevy Caprice is being looked at as "police application"

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Police/Emergency

holden-commodore-police-pkg-580.jpg

Ever since General Motors announced this spring that it was killing the Pontiac brand as part of its restructuring, fans of the Holden-developed G8 sedan have been clamoring to save it as a Chevrolet. After company officials repeatedly said over the past two months that no such thing would happen, Bob Lutz re-lit the fire last week in one of his first pronouncements after un-retiring. Lutz proclaimed that the G8 would indeed become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

During our first drive of the new Buick LaCrosse this week, we had the opportunity on one of the legs to ride with GM CEO Fritz Henderson, and we pressed him for more details on the Caprice plan. Unfortunately it turns out Henderson brought his portable fire extinguisher with him, telling us:

We've been looking at it for police applications. As for whether or not it's broader than police applications, I am not a believer in re-branding and re-badging. We've been talking about in terms of potential police applications and we'll leave it at that."

Henderson also threw a soaking wet blanket on the idea of adding production to Oshawa alongside the Camaro, saying that the cars will continue to be sourced from Australia. So, for the moment, it looks like Zeta sedan fans will probably have to be content with taking a Blues Brothers approach to the problem: Buying their next car as a decommissioned black-and-white.

[image: GoAuto]

Fritz Henderson to Autoblog: Chevy Caprice is being looked at as "police application" originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=2wsFoTdU7l4:epRqYjnYYFI:wF9xT autoblog?i=2wsFoTdU7l4:epRqYjnYYFI:V_sGL
2wsFoTdU7l4

View the full article

There are worse things than getting one used from the popo. Sure, most will be beaten, but they should be cheap by then, too...

They are not telling the total story. Why would you just bring that car over for police sales only? I know Holden wanted to do that anyway. It is not even worth putting the "Caprice" name on it just for police use. If they were bringing it just for police use you would not even have to put a name on it. They do not even call Ford Crown Victoria anymore. I saw a police car and it said "Interceptor." There was no Crown Victoria badge on the car anywhere. Crown Victoria has been dead to people for the last few years.

Something is up. He is not telling the total story of what you will see. Another thing.. why not just use the long wheelbase Statesman/Caprice ? It would give Chevrolet a "true" full sized car.

They use it everywhere else.

Wouldn't it be funny if they brought the Commodore/G8 for police use and the Statesman Caprice in small numbers for public purchase.

Rest assured some deal is being worked out. No one knows what variants we will get.

Henderson's statements make exactly zero sense. There is simply no point in bringing the car in for police duty exclusively, the car has a proven desireability with the public and rave reviews.

If he wants to eliminate "re-badging" he should look at his current portfolio of product - many an example of blatant re-badging there. The term doesn't even apply in the case of this car. His comments are disingenuous at best.

Edited by Camino LS6

Fritz is playing hide the ball here.

I'm telling you, this is good cop bad cop. They are going to get people worked into a frenzy. The more press on this the BETTER for GM. . . as long as the result is one the public wants.

Edit: It almost reminds me of professional wrestling.

Eh, I think it just shows that the heads of GM change their minds as often as their socks.

+1 on Henderson being a bozo.

Fritz is playing hide the ball here.

I'm telling you, this is good cop bad cop. They are going to get people worked into a frenzy. The more press on this the BETTER for GM. . . as long as the result is one the public wants.

Edit: It almost reminds me of professional wrestling.

Based on the company's history, have executives not realized that playing games goes no where but down? This is not a soap opera, or WWE. It is a product which costs thousands times more than tickets to those buffooneries.

Probably doesn't want it cutting into the Impala sales as far as a civilian version goes.

Well Fritz, is trying to be the bad cop for sure. Having said that, I don't think Bob Lutz would have "slipped" had it been only for police/gov't application. I think they don't want to destory any G8 sales because many people will be going out and buying them- as the last affordable GM RWD Sedan, EVER. Fritz should just let Bob Lutz do what he does best spill the beans and get people who LOVE cars excited. I bet even GM isn't stupid enough to waste this car, and I highly doubt it would be only for police use. If they do that is just stupid.

big soap opera

Bingo.

Like I said, it's a big drama staged as a way to try and pull back in the hundreds of thousands of buyers who have dismissed GM over the closing of Pontiac and the cancellation of the G8 (i.e. the enthusiasts that the Camaro does not appeal to). When the official word finally does come out, they're going to say "Well, we reviewed the feasibility of trying to bring it back as a Chevrolet, but factor a and factor b prevented it from happening. However, we still offer exciting products such as the hot-selling Camaro performance coupe and product a here and product b over here."

And, yes, Fritz is a ditz.

Probably doesn't want it cutting into the Impala sales as far as a civilian version goes.

The current W-Failure Impala is living on borrowed time.

The 1990's version Caprice Police Cruiser/Roller, also known as Shamu by those that rode in it, was fairly ubiquitous and plentiful on the roadways in it's time. When I saw that the RWD Caprice/Impala was going to be discontinued and that GM would surrender that market to Ford I was beside myself.

The 1990's version Caprice Police Cruiser/Roller, also known as Shamu by those that rode in it, was fairly ubiquitous and plentiful on the roadways in it's time. When I saw that the RWD Caprice/Impala was going to be discontinued and that GM would surrender that market to Ford I was beside myself.

When you were beside yourself, did you say hi? :D

GM is still suffering from an overdose of stupid.

Are you still going to have DF update your sig, or are you going to wait? I'm curious ...

Are you still going to have DF update your sig, or are you going to wait? I'm curious ...

The sig update is unrelated: It goes forward as planned.

The sig update is unrelated: It goes forward as planned.

I have copied your present sig, and had it printed out on an industrial printer, 1' X 4'. It hangs in my office in Munich, in living colour. It's quite the conversation piece ...

I look forward to your new one, DF does excellent work ...

I'm honored.

I think...

"Spineless Fools", just makes me laugh every time I see it. I don't know whos idea it was to put that caption on it, but it's priceless ...

When you were beside yourself, did you say hi? :D

I took extensive notes! (at least we agreed on many things. nice guy, my alter ego)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room