No fond farewell for Pontiac

Automotive News

July 13, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

Recall that after General Motors gave Oldsmobile the brushoff, at least the vehicles got a classy send-off. The final 500 units of each model sported a special red paint job, embroidered upholstery and a colorful badge.

Pontiac gets bupkis.

"I wish I could say it was otherwise," said Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson. "But given the situation and timing, there literally was not enough time to put together any special-edition packages."

The Pontiac wind-down looks like this: The G3, G5 and G8 already have gone out of production. The Solstice sports coupe and convertible are done this month. The total production run of 1,100 Solstice coupes, Hopson said, will have sequential serial numbers. The Vibe ends production in August.

A final insult to Pontiac: The last G6 models, to be built in September, will be for rental car fleets.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...373360363921244

Question remains if any of the Solstice coupes will be withheld until after the G6 sales are done, making them the last Pontiacs sold. Not that I'm holding out any hope, but it's the least that could be done and wouldn't cost GM anything.

Edited by balthazar

Question remains if any of the Solstice coupes will be withheld until after the G6 sales are done, making them the last Pontiacs sold. Not that I'm holding out any hope, but it's the least that could be done and wouldn't cost GM anything.

It would at least be a gesture of decency.

I wonder how many US spec G3s were built? I assume the Solstice GXP will be the rarest of the last Pontiacs.

Actually, last I read MOST of the coupes were GXP models which would make the RPO coupe more rare.

The final number (on coupes) was supposed to be around 1100-1000 and 750 of those were supposedly GXP-ed.

Actually, last I read MOST of the coupes were GXP models which would make the RPO coupe more rare.

The final number (on coupes) was supposed to be around 1100-1000 and 750 of those were supposedly GXP-ed.

Interesting. I have yet to see any Solstice coupes. Though I've seen two G3s in the last few months, though one was a Canadian one. Saw a G2 last month. Now that is Excitement!.

I don't need some cheap emblems or a Viking funeral to mark this.

Just make the last one built a Solstic coupe put it in the collection next to the first Pontiac Coupe and leave it on a high note. Let the last car be what Delorean wanted.

I hate to see the last one be a G6 or Vibe and show what Pontiac died of. At least make the last car a real performance car.

The truth is this happens so fast and there was no money to do anything. If this was planned out and GM was not chapter 11 I am sure they would have done something.

I realized the other day that the Vibe rental I drove in May is probably the last Pontiac rental I'll ever drive. Previously, I've driven many Grand Ams and a few Grand Prix rentals over the last 14 years..

I realized the other day that the Vibe rental I drove in May is probably the last Pontiac rental I'll ever drive. Previously, I've driven many Grand Ams and a few Grand Prix rentals over the last 14 years..

And that is why they are not building anymore Pontiacs and my GP resale sucks.

The truth is this happens so fast and there was no money to do anything.

There wasn't any new product in the pipeline. Terrain replaced Torrent, and Solstice and G6 had no replacements coming. This left the G8, and a host of rebadged Daewoolets and a Toyota.

In theory, an Alpha midsizer would have been nice... in reality, however, GM had no new cars planned for Pontiac. G6 replacement never broke ground.

There wasn't any new product in the pipeline. Terrain replaced Torrent, and Solstice and G6 had no replacements coming. This left the G8, and a host of rebadged Daewoolets and a Toyota.

In theory, an Alpha midsizer would have been nice... in reality, however, GM had no new cars planned for Pontiac. G6 replacement never broke ground.

The truth is the niche deal was just going to buy time to close Pontiac a model at a time till the end of the G8. With Rick leaving it just moved up the end.

Well, maybe someday after Henderson gets the axe, we can get Pontiac back.

Unlikely, I know, but it sure would be nice.

Yeah, because then I could buy a new GM product. I have no faith, though. Waiting for the GM liquidation.

"I wish I could say it was otherwise," said Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson. "But given the situation and timing, there literally was not enough time to put together any special-edition packages."

More like in the bureaucracy that "new" GM still is it would take two years of committee meetings to arrange this, where our competition could knock that off before lunch. :banghead::angry:

olds_final500_intrigue_02.jpg

Like that was really that hard to make.

Edited by fightingbee

my ex girlfriend in high school's car was a manual mandated by her father. she couldnt have an auto because everyone should know how to drive a stick to him. he is a South Carolina State Trooper btw.

That's how my dad was. At first, I resented driving a manual, then I grew to love it. I would really love it if my next car to replace the Firebird was a stick.

And if it isn't, well, that can be fixed ... :AH-HA_wink:

"3 decades" = 1979 :: nope - too long there.

>>"a very appropriate ending "<<

Yes, because 84 years should be distilled down to the last 15 only, the only way the ending can be "fitting" :rolleyes::wacko:

"15 years" = 1994 :: nope, not long enough there.

440.jpg

Unlike poor, abused, Plymouth, Pontiac at least had something very worthwhile up to the end.

Never was Pontiac without at least one worthy car, and it ends with two.

One word-Prowler.

Funny how every carmaker seems to go out with a bang...

Golden Hawk/Avanti for Studebaker, Prowler for Plymouth, Caribbean for Packard, G8 and Solstice for Pontiac...

At that rate the rest of GM should live forever. Whatever the human race evolves into will perhaps be driving W body Impala's in a million years or so?

Chris

One word-Prowler.

Funny how every carmaker seems to go out with a bang...

Golden Hawk/Avanti for Studebaker, Prowler for Plymouth, Caribbean for Packard, G8 and Solstice for Pontiac...

At that rate the rest of GM should live forever. Whatever the human race evolves into will perhaps be driving W body Impala's in a million years or so?

Chris

Hmm, wasn't Prowler given to Chrysler before Plymouth was killed?

Can't remember the sequence of events, but I do remember that the last Prowlers wore Chrysler badges.

Think Prowler was with Plymouth till the end, I could be wrong. Think it became Chrysler when they wanted to continue building the car after Plymouth died.

However, I am going to steal a page from balthazars playbook. I'm going to thiunk of Plymouth in terms of RWD Fury's Superbirds and Roadrunners. I'm going to gracefully forget the crappy FWD minivans, the K cars, and the rest of the crap.

There is some sanity in living pre-1975 when it comes to domestic cars.

Chris

Think Prowler was with Plymouth till the end, I could be wrong. Think it became Chrysler when they wanted to continue building the car after Plymouth died.

Only for late 2001-2002.

Also, the Prowler was a Chrysler outside the US...

• 3 weeks later...