Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Ford poised to overtake GM as America's top-selling automaker

26 posts in this topic

Filed under: Chrysler, LLC., Ford, GM, Toyota

2010-maroon-stang-blur-580.jpg
2010 Ford Mustang - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to Merrill Lynch's Car Wars study, Ford's improving lineup of cars will be responsible for hauling the company's market share to places it hasn't been in many decades - namely, ahead of General Motors and number one in the U.S. With its recent rise to 16.1% share, Ford has taken the number two spot most recently held by Toyota, and Merrill predicts Ford's share over the next four years will rise another two points to 18%.

Even as it had the best-selling vehicle in America in the F-150, Ford's domestic market share has been shrinking for 13 years. The turnaround comes at the same time that post-bankruptcy GM is expected to decline five points, to about 15%, over the next four years. If the report proves to be true, that would put Ford ahead of every other automaker in the U.S. with a clear swath of daylight between them.

In case you were wondering, Chrysler is predicted to fare even worse, because "Chrysler's product pipeline is dubious and likely to drive significant market share losses." Merrill's analysis of a 6% loss of market share would take the Pentastar down to 6%, while Hyundai, Honda, and Kia are expected to post gains of 3- to 3.5%.

[source: Automotive News, sub req'd]

REPORT: Ford poised to overtake GM as America's top-selling automaker originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=0BPrp6Am_ls:fSrW0OtyPSY:wF9xT autoblog?i=0BPrp6Am_ls:fSrW0OtyPSY:V_sGL
0BPrp6Am_ls

View the full article

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ford has the brightest future of any Domestic automaker. Count on them being around long after GM's continued ignorance sends them six feet under.

Let Fritz be in charge much longer and GM is sure to still steer itself into the ditch again...

Keep coming with the right vehicles and you deserve to be #1. I wish I knew when Ford Motor Company last outsold General Motors, I'm sure it would make my head spin.

Ford has a really strong lineup top to bottom, although the Focus could use some work, the Euro version is much better than ours. The Fiesta is going to be a big hit when it gets here, it could be the car to take Ford to #1 in market share.

Ford has a really strong lineup top to bottom, although the Focus could use some work, the Euro version is much better than ours. The Fiesta is going to be a big hit when it gets here, it could be the car to take Ford to #1 in market share.

Finally! Something you say makes sense! There might just be hope for you yet ...

Keep coming with the right vehicles and you deserve to be #1. I wish I knew when Ford Motor Company last outsold General Motors, I'm sure it would make my head spin.

79 years ago before GM began its streak of world's #1 manufacturer.

Finally! Something you say makes sense! There might just be hope for you yet ...

Everything I say makes sense. Ford understands the market. They have a 41 mpg midsize car, the Fiesta is going to dominate the compact segment, the Mustang never got canceled or went on hiatus, and it has a new engine coming. Ecoboost is a good way to offer power without getting killed in gas mileage. And most of all Ford saw the market downturn coming and prepared for it, and they pulled all their product launches up so their lineup is really fresh right now. They are so much smarter and faster reacting than GM is.

Everything I say makes sense.

That's teh funniest $h! I've heard all night! :rotflmao:

if i am not mistaken i think it was 1957 hehehe.

they have a truck coming that i would only take a 2500hd over this fall. im sorry but the SVT Raptor is going to do a lot of raping this Christmas...

Everything I've said about Ford in this thread so far makes sense.

Corrected.

Ford understands the market. They have a 41 mpg midsize car, the Fiesta is going to dominate the compact segment, the Mustang never got canceled or went on hiatus, and it has a new engine coming. Ecoboost is a good way to offer power without getting killed in gas mileage. And most of all Ford saw the market downturn coming and prepared for it, and they pulled all their product launches up so their lineup is really fresh right now. They are so much smarter and faster reacting than GM is.

Won't argue with you on that.

And most of all Ford saw the market downturn coming and prepared for it, and they pulled all their product launches up so their lineup is really fresh right now. They are so much smarter and faster reacting than GM is.

ford refinanced its whole self because 2 yrs ago they were facing Ch 11 themselves while everyone else was still doing quite well. they lucked out like a mutha and are laughing at everyone else all the while still scooping the poop out of their pants cause that could have been them.

if i am not mistaken i think it was 1957 hehehe. they have a truck coming that i would only take a 2500hd over this fall. im sorry but the SVT Raptor is going to do a lot of raping this Christmas...

Actually IIRC it has been 4 or 5 times since then.

And in '57, IIRC one sold more for the model year and one sold more for the callender year, so they both claim 1957 as a sales victory.

Both the 57 Ford and 57 Chevy are great lkooking cars.

But methinks I wouldn't mind a 58 Fury if we are talking 50's cars.

Chris

...and a big part of that "GM decline" will be the loss of Pontiac.

Chris

Everything I say makes sense. Ford understands the market. They have a 41 mpg midsize car, the Fiesta is going to dominate the compact segment, the Mustang never got canceled or went on hiatus, and it has a new engine coming. Ecoboost is a good way to offer power without getting killed in gas mileage. And most of all Ford saw the market downturn coming and prepared for it, and they pulled all their product launches up so their lineup is really fresh right now. They are so much smarter and faster reacting than GM is.

You got it. This is how Ford is going to move....

ford refinanced its whole self because 2 yrs ago they were facing Ch 11 themselves while everyone else was still doing quite well. they lucked out like a mutha and are laughing at everyone else all the while still scooping the poop out of their pants cause that could have been them.

No-They actually saw it coming. (knowing that had just trucks-they had to hurry). People aren't laughing at Alan anymore....

Actually IIRC it has been 4 or 5 times since then.

And in '57, IIRC one sold more for the model year and one sold more for the callender year, so they both claim 1957 as a sales victory.

Both the 57 Ford and 57 Chevy are great lkooking cars.

But methinks I wouldn't mind a 58 Fury if we are talking 50's cars.

Chris

for as much adoration as the 57 chevy gets in the day it wasnt as hot as the 57 ford

From a numbers standpoint, the '57 Chevy wasn't as popular as General Motors had hoped. Despite its popularity, rival Ford outsold Chevrolet for the 1957 model year for the first time since 1935. However, the 1957 Ford - with the exception of the rare retractible hardtop model - is not nearly as prized by collectors today as the 1957 Chevrolet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57_Chevy

i found that astounding the first time i heard that a few years back. now its usually the '56 that gets the least love.

I too would like to see expand into rwd cars, hopefully their financial situation improves and that will be their next step. A rear drive Lincoln with an ecoboost V6 would be nice. Maybe they can do a new platform for the Mustang and a midsize Lincoln and get the Mustang an independent rear suspension in the process.

Not so much worried about the mustang as the rest of the lineup. So long as they keep building innovative new products, they will keep market share.

Chris

No-They actually saw it coming. (knowing that had just trucks-they had to hurry). People aren't laughing at Alan anymore....

Dave, actually Cletus is right. Two years ago Ford was sitting on close to $6-7B in cash while GM had close to $30B. Economy was sputtering but there was enough cash flow for Ford to take advantage of and get rid of Aston and LR-J. When you have your hands tied, you better get loan, reduce operations and run. That is what Ford did. If you are sitting on enough cash and see economy sputtering you tighten screws and try to weather the storm. That is what GM did.

Post bankruptcy, GM is about $16B in debt, while Ford's debt is estimated to be about $35B. So no, Ford is not out of Boondocks.

But there is one thing going for Ford. Fortune favors the brave. I truthfully agree, because Ford and Mullaly are making bold moves while despite of getting golden opportunity, GM still has not changed ANY. That is the critical difference. Like you said in other thread, it is all about having balls. Ford has them, GM did not then and still does not. Given this "survival" mode, I do not see GM surviving.

This.

It wasn't too long ago that analysts were predicting it'd be Ford who'd be biting the dust. They just got incredibly lucky.

But there is one thing going for Ford. Fortune favors the brave. I truthfully agree, because Ford and Mullaly are making bold moves while despite of getting golden opportunity, GM still has not changed ANY. That is the critical difference. Like you said in other thread, it is all about having balls. Ford has them, GM did not then and still does not. Given this "survival" mode, I do not see GM surviving.

It's also worth noting Ford has another critical advantage: public relations/perception. The public has not been in favor of their tax money being used to "bail out" GM and Chrysler. In addition, bankruptcy, even post bankruptcy, is a dirty word that consumers shy away from.

So Ford, at least right now, has the advantages of not having gone through bankruptcy (government backed bankruptcy on top of it), not taking taxpayer money. and not having any government involvement (a big sticking point for quite a few people).

Ford's also working with what they have to improve their lineup and listening to customers. They could have just mildly refreshed the Fusion, but instead addressed all of the old car's shortcomings. The new Taurus is a fantastic car. We're going to be getting the Fiesta and later a new Focus.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0