Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ford May Win Pontiac Buyers as GM Abandons Brand (Update3)

25 posts in this topic

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., the only major U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy, may be able to snag buyers as General Motors Co. ends production of the Pontiac brand this month, according to a survey.

Ford was the choice of 38 percent of consumers interested in Pontiac models, CNW Marketing Research found in a June survey of 1,283 of the GM brand’s potential buyers. GM was favored by 33 percent in the survey, conducted before the Detroit-based automaker finished its bankruptcy reorganization.

THE REST HERE:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=aLKp.4ax24so

That 38% were not the Pontiac die hard fans. They were just the people who were cheap and bought G5 and G6 sedans because they were cheap.

Most of the die hard Pointiac fans left the party long ago. Most of the G6 owners I work with only bought them because they got a better deal and could care less if it were a Pontiac or not.

As for the die hard Ponco fans few have bought a new Pontiac in the last 10 years if even then. they will buy and trade 60'and 70's Birds, Goats and we even have Pete Setons runner up 4 speed Cat coupe from the 1960 NHRA US nationals. None of these owners own or have bought a new Pontiac since the 80's accpet for me.

Edited by hyperv6

That 38% were not the Pontiac die hard fans. They were just the people who were cheap and bought G5 and G6 sedans because they were cheap.

Most of the die hard Pointiac fans left the party long ago. Most of the G6 owners I work with only bought them because they got a better deal and could care less if it were a Pontiac or not.

While I'd argue that that isn't entirely true, it mostly is.

While I'd argue that that isn't entirely true, it mostly is.

Other than your wailing and a few others here have you seen much out cry from the general public? Have you seen a run on any Pontiac other than a G8 or Solstice because someone had to have a Pontiac. Even then there are plenty still on the dealer lots if you still want one.

The other Pontiac are selling now because of the fire sales prices. Even my buddy bought one to replace his wifes Ford since it was so cheap. He said it is a nice car but if it were not so cheap he would have never bought it.

Most people have a oh that is a shame as they drive away in their import.

You can disagree in self pity but you know it is true.

I spent the weekend in a new Malibu and it reminded me of how bad my 04 GP really is. I like my GP but it just can't measure up. I never even understood how good the Bu was till I spent some time in it. If the wife were not wanting a SUV next time I would consider it on my list of possible cars. I could not have said that before. Just the quietness of it alone would make me consider it alone.

Who, exactly, are "Pontiac buyers?"

It's not like the brand was focused enough to consistently appeal to anyone on any grounds other than price. I know it's played out, but I think the only loyal Pontiac buyers for the past few decades have been rental fleets.

Dude chill,

I just agreed with you, remember?

I never said that any current Pontiac was worth a crap other than the G8 and Solstice.

They aren't, and yes, that accounts for most of the 38%.

But a few percentage points are defintely Firebird, GTO, G8, and Solstice folks whose passions for those cars runs deep.

Exactly.

GM almost had me back as a customer...

However, with Sosltice gone and other interesting stuff gone...

Chris

Dude chill,

I just agreed with you, remember?

I never said that any current Pontiac was worth a crap other than the G8 and Solstice.

They aren't, and yes, that accounts for most of the 38%.

But a few percentage points are defintely Firebird, GTO, G8, and Solstice folks whose passions for those cars runs deep.

Not mad just tired of the pissing and moaning. If everyone was so worried about Pontiac now where were they 10 years ago. Things were not as good as many want you to think they were back then.

Exactly.

The Firebird will always have a place in my heart and in my garage.

If everyone was so worried about Pontiac now where were they 10 years ago.

On July 16, 1999, I was only 9 years only and couldn't even drive.

That's my generation for you, we always get the short end of the stick.

Edited by YellowJacket894

word... wait crap i was a senior in high school... hehe i still saw a lot of poncho's i couldnt have though.

Y'alls a baby ... :P

word... wait crap i was a senior in high school... hehe i still saw a lot of poncho's i couldnt have though.

Same here.

However, A Firebird, Grand Am GT or GP GTP would probably have been pretty high on the list of desirability IMO in my school at the time. I guess that was just a midwest thing.

Y'alls a baby ... :P

Yeah, an old one at that. :P

EDIT: I meant I was 8 years old 9 years ago today. I wasn't quite 9 yet. That was exactly 4 months away. :duh:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Same here.

However, A Firebird, Grand Am GT or GP GTP would probably have been pretty high on the list of desirability IMO in my school at the time. I guess that was just a midwest thing.

When I was in high school in S. Florida in the late '80s, Trans Am GTAs were definitely hot rides...there were a couple of 'em in my senior class, along with IROC-Zs and a Grand National. Then there was my clique, the Mustang 5.0 guys and gals.. :)

Well the Focus SES coupe is pretty sporty. The 2010 Fusion is sporty, if there were a Fusion coupe that would be awesome (different customer than Mustang). Then you have your iconic Mustang, which has remained true to its original formula throughout. 2010 Taurus is authoritative and sporty. I can see Pontiac people who weren't simply "deal seekers" (I reject that notion anyway) finding a Ford to their liking.

I am so glad to see Americans not wholesale going for Japanese vehicles since all this bankruptcy went down. It is heartening.

Not mad just tired of the pissing and moaning. If everyone was so worried about Pontiac now where were they 10 years ago. Things were not as good as many want you to think they were back then.

I, for one, bought two new Pontiacs this decade...

Planned on a third.

Got screwed out of it by GM.

When I was a dealer mechanic circa 2005 most of our Pontiac customers were sorority sisters and other assorted young women. I think Pontiac had something going with the young women but never cultivated it.

Which is a shame because GM needs every female customer it can get right now...

Seems to me that Hyundai is the new brand for the female buyer. At least around here, anyways...

Chris

Well the Focus SES coupe is pretty sporty. The 2010 Fusion is sporty, if there were a Fusion coupe that would be awesome (different customer than Mustang). Then you have your iconic Mustang, which has remained true to its original formula throughout. 2010 Taurus is authoritative and sporty. I can see Pontiac people who weren't simply "deal seekers" (I reject that notion anyway) finding a Ford to their liking.

I am so glad to see Americans not wholesale going for Japanese vehicles since all this bankruptcy went down. It is heartening.

Ford can take some credit...they are building great cars. 4 years ago when we bought my wife's car brand new, I was just about done buying American. Recent changes have changed my mind.

Now if we could jsut get Ford to bring the Focus RS to our shores, I would give up the Idea of a John Cooper Works MINI Cooper S...

The Fusion and new Taurus are awesome...

And the Mustang will continue to win buyers with the interior upgrades.

Chris

Same here.

It is a midwest thing. Must be and it is rural midwest thing at that.

Well, if GM keeps pissing me off my next car will be a Ford (or Honda or Kia, depending on how I'm feeling)

I'm sad I never got the chance to buy a new Olds Cutlass. I think the Cutlibu was around when I started driving, but that was never a real Cutlass.

It is a midwest thing. Must be and it is rural midwest thing at that.

Ever see the Prehistoric Ice Man episode of South Park? That sums up the midwest pretty well.

Ever see the Prehistoric Ice Man episode of South Park? That sums up the midwest pretty well.

"Do you see that Kevin?! These clothes are from Eddie Bauer! I haven't seen anyone wear clothes from Eddie Bauer since... Nineteen-Ninety Six!!!"

i think ford is gradually ramping up the performance quotient again.

they had to revive the mustang brand and it is pretty healthy now.

the fusion became its midsize leader instead of the oval taurus and it actually has a fairly youthful demographic.

the focus, despite cries of the euro worshippers has quietly cultivated a youthful demographic to set up the next fiesta / focus 1-2 punch.

the new taurus does have some attitude.

the edge also has an attitude.

i think some of ford's upcoming tech like the 4 cylinder ecoboost and the DSG thingies will resonate with those wanting some more spunk.

you know people chastise pontiac for chasing folks who didn't want to blow a lot of money on a car but we laud Kia for doing the same thing?

Lots of car fans are still lacking perspective because of the feast of offerings from the early part of this decade. It was an automotive free for all, SUV's and big expensive cars and people printed the money to get them.

That well has dried up mostly for the foreseeable future. We are not going to see all the items on the menu like we have five years ago. To me it seems losing Pontiac and Saturn at GM pretty much wipes out most of the younger demographic and Chevy will really need to revamp lots of things in their lineup to replace that and keep pace with Ford. GM seems to be intent on wiping out anything in their lineup that is interesting and performance minded and within reach of a large group of buyers which quite honestly doesn't have big bucks to throw away on a car.

How about an affordable Cruze SS?

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0