Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Fastlane: It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time!

84 posts in this topic

By Bob LutzGM Vice Chairman

OK, I have some late-breaking news for you from the world of GM, where things are indeed moving quickly, and what I'm about to say is proof.

In fact, we're moving so fast, we're going back in time to, oh, about four or five days ago, when the Pontiac G8 was going away and was not going to become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

And therein lies the news: The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I'd mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

That's all still true. But I have to say that, with my new marketing hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

I know that we'll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I'm one of them. And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there's no case. With budgets being what they are for the time being, the resources must be allocated elsewhere.

In no way, and this is very important, in no way does this mean we are backing away from performance, or backing away from rear-wheel drive. Look no further for proof than the Corvette, the Camaro, the CTS or many other present and future Cadillacs. We have a strong lineup of RWD vehicles already and we will continue to have it.

And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now.

View the full article

What a load of :censored:.

PCS was right again.

Um, it didn't really take a genius to figure this would happen, though.

It's a real shame, but given the climate these days, it's not a surprise.

Edited by Kix

Looks like anyone who wants a RWD sedan at a reasonable price will only have Chrysler or Hyundai to choose from. Funny how both companies can make a business case for it.

Um, it didn't really take a genius to figure this would happen, though.

It's a real shame, but given the climate these days, it's not a surprise.

Well of course it was bound to happen. GM and it's "leader" are too stupid to make it work.

Sounds like Fritz told him to sit down and shut up.

Personally, I think there HAD to be a business case there. Don't even have to change the pricing structure from the G8, just use the ME nose.

I have an unfair advantage ... :smilewide:

Not difficult. In a race of mental acuity between GM and Terry Schivo, Terry is lapping GM.

Unfortunately, most here expect GM to win that one.

simply put it's impossible to fathom a business case changing for this car to not make it possible. i understand cars are languishing on the lots....not G8. I understand incentives were diving into the profit of G8.....don't discount. I understand fuel regs are changing....VF update is bringing new engines and 6-speeds......put your BS up yours and tell me you can't add simple transmissions and engines on a car that could theoretically go on for 6 years without update to recoup your costs.

This has got to be some kind of publicity stunt for Lutz to so bluntly say one thing and six days later have to rescind. I'm trying to believe he would check his facts and be close to the situation before commenting one way or the other. or maybe he really does talk before he knows the whole situation.

regardless, I'm not going to beleive this is the final nail in the coffin. there simply is nothing stepping on them now in this price category to prohibit its release. in the $25k-33k affordable luxury sedan GM has no competitor, aside from Lacrosse which bases higher and goes after a wealthier consumer with its higher equipment levels, expressive design, and higher pricing overall. there is no reason not to give Chevrolet a viable sedan above Malibu that can draw in sports sedan buyers and build an enthusiastic owner base.

Yeah, but this has nothing to do with logical thinking,Turbo.

Fritzy got his ego bruised - so he puffed-up his chest and threw a tantrum.

Not difficult. In a race of mental acuity between GM and Terry Schivo, Terry is lapping GM.

Unfortunately, most here expect GM to win that one.

I know, but I know GM like she was an old lover ...

Besides Fritz is GME, he use to be Group Vice President General Motors; Chairman General Motors Europe ...

I told you GME was in charge ...

I know, but I know GM like she was an old lover ...

Besides Fritz is GME, he use to be Group Vice President General Motors; Chairman General Motors Europe ...

I told you GME was in charge ...

That explains the stupidity.

Looks like anyone who wants a RWD sedan at a reasonable price will only have Chrysler or Hyundai to choose from. Funny how both companies can make a business case for it.

The Genesis and even moreso, the Equus, are all about image for Hyundai. The brand has quietly set out to transform itself by bringing to market vehicles that can compete with the best sedans in the world. They're succeeding, and people have noticed. The Equus won't be high-volume, but it will really shake up perceptions about the brand. In the meantime, GM can cover the generic FWD market and continue to do nothing about its seriously faded image.

Lutz should re-retire and write a tell-all book.

Maybe that way some value could come from all of this.

I hope--and believe--things are not like this. Fritz is a logical man. I believe the devil is in the details. maybe there isn't a profit case to be made for the car. but I would object to that and say that is old GM think looming. They are looking at sales boom that happened after incentives were added to the car. suddenly the car became a hit once the sales price got lowered. they likely feel they cannot afford to do this.

the reality is the G8 was launched at one of the worst times ever, with the deepest recession since, you know, AND Pontiac had been a largely fleet brand for several years. Without product to drive consumer traffic, without consumer interest, and with low level and inconsistent marketing messages, the car was doomed to failure.

But more to the point, I think Lutz is right, and the media is right, and the consumer/owner is right, Commodore is too good a platform to leave in Aus. It's too good not to bring to America, and fill a clearly gaping product hole in Chevy's lineup, that won't be filled perhaps until 2013 when Impala debuts.

That explains the stupidity.

All key positions are being filled by GME devotees, everyone else will be shown the door ...

But I told you all this before ...

I would love to see him do this. The sad thing is I CAN see him doing this.

The Genesis and even moreso, the Equus, are all about image for Hyundai. The brand has quietly set out to transform itself by bringing to market vehicles that can compete with the best sedans in the world. They're succeeding, and people have noticed. The Equus won't be high-volume, but it will really shake up perceptions about the brand. In the meantime, GM can cover the generic FWD market and continue to do nothing about its seriously faded image.

Not only that, the Gensis has been sell very well for Hyundai as I recall.

Hyundai, and Kia too, are aiming for the big guns and not half assing their products. They are also seeing potential markets (RWD coupe, RWD sedans) and tapping into them instead of adding yet another FWD also-ran product.

All key positions are being filled by GME devotees, everyone else will be shown the door ...

But I told you all this before ...

That explains why you predict liquidation in 3-5 years.

With those folks running things, I'd have to agree.

What a load of :censored:.

PCS was right again.

What? Isn't there enough love to spare for poor little ol' me too?

I actually nailed this one down better than PCS did, right down to what the word from bird would say. :AH-HA_wink:

There's no love to be found about this.

It really doesn't matter who predicted disaster after it happens.

Next up: "We can't find a business case for the Camaro or CTS, but hey, there's still lots of performance to choose from like the Impala (which will live on for 20 more years) and the DTS!"

Next up: "We can't find a business case for the Camaro or CTS, but hey, there's still lots of performance to choose from like the Impala (which will live on for 20 more years) and the DTS!"

Yup, because that is the GME way:

Boring-ass Buicks

Redundant GMCs

Generic Chevys

and expensive Cadillacs

How exciting!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0