Tested :Chevy Traverse LTZ... Could B Better than my Tahoe

Let me say that I had driven the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn Outlook before.. but I had never driven the new, more powerful version of the 3.6L in the Lambdas until now. My favorite before this run was the Enclave.. and because of it's styling.. still is. I just LOOOOOVE the smooth, sexy, sultry lines of the Buick more so than the more truck like look of the Acadia/Outlook. The Traverse uses a great deal of styling cues from the Buick. The Interior is, like all the Lambdas, magnificent. The Traverse is in my opinion, with exception to the Enclave, my favorite.

Power was fluid and never needing to be pushed. I mean.. U won't and shouldn't be doing stoplight dragging for Pinks, but the 288HP 3.6LDi pulls U into the mix a sweet as one would expect a V8 to. And QUIET. WTF is GM doing these days? I for one think this has a great deal to do with the added weight we are consistently seeing. Tranny shifted precise and with authority in getting where I wanted go. Steering and handling were spot on.. and perhaps all of these things coupled with the smooth car-like ride brought me to compare it to my Tahoe. While the Tahoe boasts a 3200lb advantage over the Traverse's tow capacity.. WTF do I care??? I haven't towed anything in the last two years that I can remember. Fold down 3rd row, touch-screen navigation with rearview camera display, heated windshield washes, heated and cooled front seats, leather, 20-inch wheels and dual panel Sun-roof.. the bitch was simply making me envious of the less expensive vehicle that would serve my purposes even better than my BOF SUV.. all the while getting better gas mileage.

Bottom line... there is talk of the Escalade going Lambda II in the next go 'round. I have to say... as long as the Escalade is luxified in a way that makes it far superior to the Enclave/Traverse/Acadia.. then I could easily see GM making a successful Escalade. Truth is... GM has possibly begged the question of why do the GMT900 SHORT-WHEEL BASE SUVS even exist??? My thought is IF cost becomes an issue.. if CAFE demands it... keep the Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV, on the Truck frames.. but the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade all go to Lambda II with perhaps the Tahoe name either replacing the Traverse or becoming an upper trim level in the vane of the Denali for Chevy on the Traverse (The Traverse Tahoe similar to the Acadia Denali)

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Good write-up. I also like the Enclave the most, no question. But a few people in my area have gotten Traverses and just love them. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I was seriously surprised that U could get such amenities in this Chevy. It seriously makes the prospects of future Buick, GMC, and Cadillacs look to be very promising. I mean this thing has thing in it that some Lexus don't come with

if caddy makes the next esc a lambda, i think they should add a twin turbo to the 3.6.

at one time the lambda was to accomodate a transverse small block.

i am in the camp that thinks the sclade would lose its swagger if it weren't pro athlete sized on a truck frame. but cafe and the powers that be may push it otherwise.

neighbors have a pilot and a cx9, its a struggle to watch them pack for a family trip. regardless of which vehicle they take, it seems like they hurt for space. perhaps they may have to get wise next time and get a lambda.

Edited by regfootball

if caddy makes the next esc a lambda, i think they should add a twin turbo to the 3.6.

i am in the camp that thinks the sclade would lose its swagger if it weren't pro athlete sized on a truck frame. but cafe and the powers that be may push it otherwise.

neighbors have a pilot and a cx9, its a struggle to watch them pack for a family trip. regardless of which vehicle they take, it seems like they hurt for space. perhaps they may have to get wise next time and get a lambda.

Two things tho. The next generation Lambda could be made in different fashions similar to the way they are now (Acadia angular BOXY styling and ergonomics vs Enclaves round). The Lambdas are not exactly small.. and it is also possible that the new Lambdas be engineered to tow MORE than the GMTS. The VW Touarag for instance is proof of a CUV with a hefty two capacity

I would have zero problem with a Lambda Escalade if it only replaced the SWB model and the EXT and ESV were kept on the truck frames. It would need a new name though.

I would have zero problem with a Lambda Escalade if it only replaced the SWB model and the EXT and ESV were kept on the truck frames. It would need a new name though.

If GM changed the name of the 'Slade it would be an absolute foolish move. The positive marketing that the vehicle has is undeniable. Personally I'm still of the notion that the Cobalt name should have remained and implemented across the world instead of the Cruze.

Two things tho. The next generation Lambda could be made in different fashions similar to the way they are now (Acadia angular BOXY styling and ergonomics vs Enclaves round). The Lambdas are not exactly small.. and it is also possible that the new Lambdas be engineered to tow MORE than the GMTS. The VW Touarag for instance is proof of a CUV with a hefty two capacity

the vw is really porky though. with cafe, gm can anot afford to roid it up like VW does.

I could see moving Tahoe and Escalade to a crossover platform, as long as they kept them looking pretty much like a traditional SUV. I would keep the suburban on the truck chassis though. I honestly can't see not getting the suburban vs the tahoe. The 'burban has SO much more room, at what I assume is an incredibly minimal mpg loss vs the Tahoe.

I'm considering a Lambda as my next vehicle, and while the only one I've driven is the Buick Enclave (spring, 2008), I'd go with the GMC Acadia (the wife still prefers the Buick, with the Chevy next in line). Though I want a fully-loaded SLT-2 AWD Acadia, I'll be lucky to afford a decently-optioned SLE FWD Acadia. I still wish GM offered a minivan based on the Lambda architecture, maybe a little smaller and lower to the ground. But I'd be fine with the CUV version!!

• 3 months later...
Let me say that I had driven the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn Outlook before.. but I had never driven the new, more powerful version of the 3.6L in the Lambdas until now. My favorite before this run was the Enclave.. and because of it's styling.. still is. I just LOOOOOVE the smooth, sexy, sultry lines of the Buick more so than the more truck like look of the Acadia/Outlook. The Traverse uses a great deal of styling cues from the Buick. The Interior is, like all the Lambdas, magnificent. The Traverse is in my opinion, with exception to the Enclave, my favorite.

The Enclave is the SUV to end all SUV's as far as I am concerned. LOVE IT!

GM is just getting SO much right these days.

Chris

We are looking to the Nox or Lamda for our next vehicle. I was wanting to know how well the 3.6 DI improved things. I would love to have this engine in what ever we buy.

I have some seat time in the GMC but none of the others.

I have noted in most new Chevys how quiet they are. The I have driven the new Bu, Nox and Camaro and all were as quiet as I have ever seen from Chevy. I know Lutz has pushed details GM has missed like body gaps and trim but Noise was one area I have heard him speak about in the past and wanted to see improvments. The new Bu make my 04 GTP sound like a box of rocks even on a not so ruff road.

As for names I I wonder how many people do not take the new Lacrosse seriously becuse they associate the name with the old car. I know Some names carry weight but often when cars improve as much as GM has they need a new name to convince the people who left GM they have really changed. The name recognition is seldom positiive with many current GM names that are more than 5 years old. I would rather see some older names many have no preconceived notion about.

A new Cadillac Lamda Fleetwood would be nice?

You guys all know that I don't love the Lambdas, but its nothing more than a dislike for the type rather than a comment on them vs. the competition.

So, I rode in one for the first time last night. I have three general impressions which I came away with as a "disinterested party".

1) When you stomp on it, it goes like stink.

2) Seats are quite comfortable.

3) The interior seems very well finished.

Exactly, Camino. While these vehicles may not be your cup of tea or mine...you do have to admit, they speak very well for the new GM.

REALLY interested to see how the new Cruze comes together as a future family car, as well as the next small Buick.

Chris

You guys all know that I don't love the Lambdas, but its nothing more than a dislike for the type rather than a comment on them vs. the competition.

So, I rode in one for the first time last night. I have three general impressions which I came away with as a "disinterested party".

1) When you stomp on it, it goes like stink.

2) Seats are quite comfortable.

3) The interior seems very well finished.

Thw wife likes it but I could really care less too on these. But they are very competitive and lets not also forget they make money. If your going to do them do them right and profitable.

the thing on the Chevy is it looks like something is missing on the back.

Edited by hyperv6

• 5 months later...

All of these versions fail the versatility test!

Whoever did the interior design, needs to go back, sit in the corner with the dunce cap on!

If these vehicle were truly designed to be flexible transportation vehicles,

THEN THE SECOND ROW SEATS SHOULD FOLD TO A FLAT FLOOR FOR MAXIMUM STORAGE!

Go back and look at station wagon design 101. When the second row seats folded, you had

a flat floor!

All of these versions fail that test!

Edited by rkmdogs

Whoever did the interior design, needs to go back, sit in the corner with the dunce cap on!

Go back and look at station wagon design 101. When the second row seats folded, you had

a flat floor!

You realize who much it weighs, right?

My Mom is consideriing one , and we tested one (LTZ) with dog crates, and it actually fits. Much of it is going to depend on the cargo you carry....

if the fold away seats took out as much foot space as the StowN'Go did in the previous gen GranCaravan i rode in last week i think fold over seats like the Sub are better.

Then again has ChryCo changed the StowN'Go in the current gen or is it still flat instead of having the ability to put your feet under the seat.

Edited by CanadianBacon94

a flat floor!

Comparing my parent's 2001 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser and 2007(?) Buick Enclave... the second row of seats do exactly the same thing. They fold down such that the seat back ends up level with the trunk floor. Both designs end up with a flat load floor. When moving the second row you probably used the "third row access" option, which makes the seat cushion tilt up and the whole assembly slide forward, instead of the "fold flat" option, which makes the back of the seat fold forward.

• 2 months later...

We are in the hunt for a Acadia/Outlook. Wifey likes em, I do to but have doubts with towing. I actually would use it for towing a trailer (4500 lbs loaded down). I test drove a new Traverse LT and loaded up my trailer and hooked it on. While it did just fine on the back roads (55 mph or less) when I got it up to speed on the highway it was seeing it's limits. This is something that the Tahoe, Burban, Yukon wouldn't be doing and why there will always be a market for them.

Now we'll have to buy used, which puts us into a '07 or '08... the lesser hp non DI motor. If the DI motor of the Traverse was on edge at highway speed I can't be a little concerned about picking up an older non DI motor.