Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM to Limit Buick Lacrosse Output to Strengthen Image

lacrosse_fd000_opt.jpg

General Motors Co. plans tighter output limits for the new Buick LaCrosse sedan than previous models as the automaker attempts to end its habit of overproducing after leaving bankruptcy.

GM aims to keep a “75-day to 90-day” supply on dealer lots, consistent with similar premium models such as Honda Motor Co.’s Acura TL, said Susan Docherty, vice president of the GMC, Buick and Pontiac brands.

“This is a new day, we’re going to make sure supply meets demand,” Docherty said at a press briefing yesterday for the LaCrosse in Plymouth, Michigan. The tighter supply reflects GM’s resolve “to make sure we’re not overproducing.”

Bloomberg Link

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Beautiful car... and on a short list (but growing with every new release of GM) of rides that my wife is interested in for replacing her Saab 9-3Aero. This along with the Traverse, SRX, G8 GT, and Enclave make the grade for a full line test drive to make her decision. So far we have taken out the G8 GT, Enclave, and the Traverse.

GM is wise to limit this stellar Lexus beater to numbers that will insure resale value is never a weapon of the Domestic haters to use in their diminishing bag of complaints :smilewide:

The fact that Lake Orion Assembly will go offline, leaving Fairfax to produce the LaX, all the Malibus, and AURAs for Penske may have a little to do with it as well.

I see that as an off-hand benefit towards profitability and better resale value for the car. I've always had issue with overproduction of the various nameplates

GM to Limit Buick Lacrosse Output because its not gonna sell like hotcakes or anything.

Probably, even if it sells as well as the CTS, that is only 40,000 units a year. No need to produce 70,000 like they originally thought.

Probably, even if it sells as well as the CTS, that is only 40,000 units a year. No need to produce 70,000 like they originally thought.

Priced as it is.. I could see it easily outselling the CTS. It's almost $10K less expensive. Producing less and then HAVING to build more on demand has always been the approach I think they should have followed. Before they had the UAW essentially making it a necessity to continue building just to use up labor... not the case anymore thank GOD

Hey thanks for the cup of pessimism... I will never kno why GM Enthusiast sites like this and GMI have so many GM Haters on them.

peruse the site, i am def not a hater of GM.

the lacrosse is a nice car, i just think they will have a tough time selling them in the price range they are intending to, which is prb why they added the four popper / loss leader version with hubcaps.

the lacrosse is a nice car, i just think they will have a tough time selling them in the price range they are intending to, which is prb why they added the four popper / loss leader version with hubcaps.

Every vehicle I know of has an "ugly entry model" even the Lexuses of the world. Hell the ES350 can be had with CLOTH SEATS... and it starts higher than the Lacrosse. The 4banger is not for pricing reason.. it is for FUEL Economy ones.

Eh, I think if it gets enough "This not your father's Buick/Time to dump your ES330" reviews, it'll do well enough.

Eh, I think if it gets enough "This not your father's Buick/Time to dump your ES330" reviews, it'll do well enough.

i am betting the interior is still not up to snuff. but i will wait until i sit in one.

i am gonna be one pissed off puppy if new or old gm or penske motors, if none of them sells the next gen ASTRA here in the US. Just like the g8, or chinese park avenue and SLS......GM north america's main mission is to create vehicles they subsequently don't want to allow the US public to buy.

i am betting the interior is still not up to snuff. but i will wait until i sit in one.

i am gonna be one pissed off puppy if new or old gm or penske motors, if none of them sells the next gen ASTRA here in the US. Just like the g8, or chinese park avenue and SLS......GM north america's main mission is to create vehicles they subsequently don't want to allow the US public to buy.

Well the next gen Astra is to be Delta II based along with the Cruze is it not?

In design alone, the ES isn't a hard one to beat. Edit: I've never noticed this before. I like how the wood in the ES just... ends.. 7/8ths of the way through the cup holder lid.

ag_09es350_interior.jpg

0901_01_c%202010_buick_laCrosse%20interi

In design alone, the ES isn't a hard one to beat. Edit: I've never noticed this before. I like how the wood in the ES just... ends.. 7/8ths of the way through the cup holder lid.

ag_09es350_interior.jpg

My eyes HURT after looking at that POS TOYOTA excuse for an interior. Where's the PUKE smilie??? Oh there it is.

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Part of the reason for INCENTIVES was because they usually built so many that inventory would have to be sold at a discount to get them off the lots

Right, which is why they need to move the whole inventory system closer to being a true pull system.

Well the next gen Astra is to be Delta II based along with the Cruze is it not?

if you had read up on the next gen astra, you would know that they share basic suspension components but its modular in the way it allows the astra to have enhanced design, componentry, capabilities and refinement.

plus, the astra is better looking than the cruze. inside and out.

third, the astra was tuned by german engineers. not the korean contingent.

That ES is sooo upmarket... look how much nicer it is than the Corolla!

2009-toyota-corolla-18_460x0w.jpg

ag_09es350_interior.jpg

That's because both interiors look nice and upscale. Remember folks, the current ES went on sale while the old LaCrose was around. hell the last ES had a nicer interior. Plus the the Cobalt's interior is about as cheap as they come.

chevrolet_cobalt_int.jpg

136522d1231425026-gm-unveils-2010-buick-

Smart move on GM's part.

Better resale and no incentives needed to unload over inventory. Any good company needs inventory control and GM in the past could not cust production due to the cost of ideling plants. That is no longer an issue and should help them all the way around.

If the sales warranty it they can add a shift for as long as they need to meet demad.

if you had read up on the next gen astra, you would know that they share basic suspension components but its modular in the way it allows the astra to have enhanced design, componentry, capabilities and refinement.

plus, the astra is better looking than the cruze. inside and out.

third, the astra was tuned by german engineers. not the korean contingent.

The Koreans are doing quite well at Hyundai, after all this is a Chevy not a Caddie. I see the Genesis in direct competition with Buick don't you?

I do agree with the idea that Buick does know how to do an interior.

Just love how well put together and laid out it is.

And I do agree the Tundra interior leaves a lot to be desired.

Chris

The Koreans are doing quite well at Hyundai, after all this is a Chevy not a Caddie. I see the Genesis in direct competition with Buick don't you?

the genesis is pretty well done. however, it does not even have an all wheel drive option. and its styling is nice, but certainly not at all original.

run through the rest of hyundais lineup and its mid pack.

if we want to make a direct size comparo, we should compare the astra to the elantra and kia forte and since i have driven the forte and the CURRENT gen astra, (ridden in an elantra) I can confirm the astra current is much more of a refined rig than the forte. the elantra is pleasant inside and spacious. but certainly korea has not yet built a compact on par with the best from the european designs.

I do agree with the idea that Buick does know how to do an interior.

Just love how well put together and laid out it is.

And I do agree the Tundra interior leaves a lot to be desired.

Chris

buick needs to lose the plood. if all we get is an epsilon for 35k they could at least put real wood in there.

the genesis is pretty well done. however, it does not even have an all wheel drive option. and its styling is nice, but certainly not at all original.

run through the rest of hyundais lineup and its mid pack.

if we want to make a direct size comparo, we should compare the astra to the elantra and kia forte and since i have driven the forte and the CURRENT gen astra, (ridden in an elantra) I can confirm the astra current is much more of a refined rig than the forte. the elantra is pleasant inside and spacious. but certainly korea has not yet built a compact on par with the best from the european designs.

The Genesis is doing just fine without the AWQD option you lust for. I've seen several of them around here....you know...in the snow belt. Besides, if you've got the money for a brand new car, you've got the money for a set of snow tires.

The Genesis is better than anything Buick has, it is better than the Cadillac STS. I've driven both, the V8 Genesis is pretty sweet. It has a little of that big car soft feel and leans a little in hard corners, so it's no BMW, but the Genesis feels more firm than an STS. The Genesis is bank vault silent and and the Tau V8 is awesome, the Genesis is a really good car.

Buick needs to ditch the fake wood, the Enclave has fake wood also. Fake wood screams of Chevy and 90s Chrysler products, Buick needs to step their game up in that department.

The Genesis is doing just fine without the AWQD option you lust for. I've seen several of them around here....you know...in the snow belt. Besides, if you've got the money for a brand new car, you've got the money for a set of snow tires.

its in its honeymoon period. they will be forced to comply like

acura

audi

bmw

mercedes

cadillac

infiniti

lexus

dodge and chrysler

etc.

because the market wants the rwd, the dealers do. people prefer the security and convenience of the awd compared to rwd in snow climes. which is why they all do it. most people don't want to uck with snow tires. most of the dorks who buy lexus have no idea snow tires exist.

so hyundai will be forced to do it also.

I agree. The ES uses real wood, why can't Buick?

I'm actually against using traditional wood. It isn't environmentally friendly.

Here is a free idea for Buick. Use Bamboo. It's a natural product. It's cheap compared to the traditionally used woods. It's environmentally friendly. It's renewable (hell come get it out of my back yard). It can be stained to any color. It's highly shapeable. It uses no petrochemicals like plood does.

With this, plus a bunch of Hybrid options, Buick could advertise themselves as the environmentally friendly luxury choice. They aren't responsible for Amazon rainforest destruction like those other brands.

Here is a free idea for Buick. Use Bamboo. It's a natural product. It's cheap compared to the traditionally used woods. It's environmentally friendly. It's renewable (hell come get it out of my back yard). It can be stained to any color. It's highly shapeable. It uses no petrochemicals like plood does.

With this, plus a bunch of Hybrid options, Buick could advertise themselves as the environmentally friendly luxury choice. They aren't responsible for Amazon rainforest destruction like those other brands.

Did Buick use Bamboo for one of their concepts? Or someone else. I thought someone used it but I can't remember who.

considering all the other consumption to make a car, which is composed of metal, rubber, PLASTIC, etc. then why even drive a car?

Myself, I tend to think anyone who is into 'the environment' but still owns a car at all then is seemingly conflicting.

I'd be more than happy to torch any wood house so as to discourage the use of wood to build any of our shelter then. Mud huts anyone?

Wood is renewable. The little bit that populates trim on a car is meager and inconsequential. They probably poison the environment more by making the fake stuff out of plastic and toxic chemicals more than wood.

The beautiful thing about wood is, you cut it down, you can plant a new tree. And trees give back. Win win. I don't think some wood trim in the LaCrosse will melt the polar ice caps. At least not for 4 billion years.....if ever.

Edited by regfootball

considering all the other consumption to make a car, which is composed of metal, rubber, PLASTIC, etc. then why even drive a car?

Myself, I tend to think anyone who is into 'the environment' but still owns a car at all then is seemingly conflicting.

I'd be more than happy to torch any wood house so as to discourage the use of wood to build any of our shelter then. Mud huts anyone?

Wood is renewable. The little bit that populates trim on a car is meager and inconsequential. They probably poison the environment more by making the fake stuff out of plastic and toxic chemicals more than wood.

The beautiful thing about wood is, you cut it down, you can plant a new tree. And trees give back. Win win. I don't think some wood trim in the LaCrosse will melt the polar ice caps. At least not for 4 billion years.....if ever.

Since when did facts come into play when selling a car?

GM to Limit Buick Lacrosse Output because its not gonna sell like hotcakes or anything.

HAHAHA.......I was thinking the same thing Reg.......Susan's little disclaimer to the press.....in case this new Buick flops.

I hope it does really well. It's a nice car.

Don't you know that if this car takes off.....they will find any kind of production capacity to meet demand. If people are screaming for it, don't you know they won't be "limiting production to boost image."

ag_09es350_interior.jpg

Buick has the ES350 KILLED for style.....but lets wait and see how the fit-and-finish, switchgear quality, and material quality end up.....

The ES350, after sitting in so many of them, is finished to an impeccable high standard.....it truly is hard to beat (regardless of what you think of the actual STYLE of the dash and interior.)

Oh, and that "wood-stopping-in-the-middle-of-the-cupholder" thing is outrageously expensive to do. What merit it presents I guess is up to personal taste.