Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: After 41 years, Patrick Bedard motors away from Car and Driver

3 posts in this topic

Filed under: Time Warp, Etc., Hirings/Firings/Layoffs

patrick-bedard-cd-image.jpgIn the latest issue of Car and Driver, editor-at-large and former professional racer Patrick Bedard has penned his swan song, announcing his departure from the print magazine that he has called home for the last four decades. Without indicating what his next move will be - either retirement or moving to some other outlet, perhaps, Bedard looks both back and ahead at the industry and his involvement.

Bedard's departure may come as a bit of a shock to the system of longtime C&D readers, many of whom appreciated Bedard's singular ability to boil down complex issues and cut through the spin. Perhaps he's taken time off to write a book or relax, as no slings and arrows have been thrown that we're aware of. For now, we'll just assume that Pat's going to kick back and take more spins in that classic Mopar he's got. After all, Arizona is a retirement spot.

Either way, the pages of C&D will never be the same, and those who have become accustomed to the idea that there will always be a Bedard piece in Car and Driver are going to feel a gaping hole in the book. Let us know what you're up to, Pat.

[source: Car and Driver]

After 41 years, Patrick Bedard motors away from Car and Driver originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=mJ5QPQrbn88:8Ut1yJj3qjI:wF9xT autoblog?i=mJ5QPQrbn88:8Ut1yJj3qjI:V_sGL
mJ5QPQrbn88

View the full article

There has been a mass exodus of old blood at C&D, which started with the sudden banishment of Yates.

In the last two issues, the magazine has swerved to be more like Motor Trend or Consumer Reports, and now David E Davis Jr. is writing for them again because the new young punk editor seems enamored by the guy.

I'm not so thrilled by the changes, but unfortunately, I have to wait until Sep 2011 before my current subscription runs out to decide if I'm going to let C&D continue to grace my bathroom for a 23rd year.

Going to seriously miss Bedard.

C/D lost a bit of its edge, and honestly it kind of lost focus on what consumers want too.

at the same time aside from road and track which is the gold standard, it still remained as top tier of auto mags.

but all that means is auto journalism is fairly useless and redundant these days.

i have to guess that C/D wants people who are more web savvy now.

C/D is still the best mainstream read.

Bedard and Csaba Csere kinda bored me lately anyways.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0